• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Somehow or other a group of thieves/hackers have gotten Verizon pins. I know for sure nobody knows my PIN other than me, not even my wife, but someone called in with my info and stole my number. They are calling Verizon and porting the number to a new phone, then using that to gain access to bank account information. I was the third caller with the exact same issue. $1k taken from bank after PIN, password, etc. changed on bank account online as they impersonate you with your phone number.

Then, of course, since they have your phone number your phone won't work as you no longer have service. I was able to report it with my wife's phone but will be without my number for 3-5 days. I should be able to get a temporary number tomorrow.

Check your verizon account and change your PIN now if you are still in control of your account.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Not cool. I was hit today on my personal email acct. about 3 hours ago I got an email saying my password had been changed when I had not. (it was legit) luckily my provider implemented two factor reset, so I was able to have them text me a pin to change it back in under 10 mins. Bastards.

VERY important: DO NOT USE THE SAME PASSWORD ACROSS MULTIPLE SITES!!!!!

Once they steal a username/email and password combo, they start trying it EVERYWHERE! So if your email password is the same as say your bank password, bad news. Because once they crack one password, they will start trying various other institutions using the same combo.

Either use a password manager, or tweak the passwords dependent on the site in a way that is easy to remember. Even something as simple as adding an extra character based on the site works. e.g. email password is alienguy12#, Citibank password would be alienguy12#B (B for banking), amazon password would be alienguy12#A (A for amazon, etc) Yes, if they REALLY want in they might be able to guess their way in, but odds are these are guys looking for low hanging fruit. So if your email password is alienguy12# and it doesnt work when they try to log into your amazon account, they will likely move on to the next victim's stolen credentials.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I had a call the other day claiming to be sprint trying to verify my number change to their service. Kept asking me for my name to verify well if you dont know my name I'm certainly not giving it to you and I DO NOT authorize any changes. Doesnt help that anymore they all speak Indian because they are in freaking INDIA. Hotspots for scammers besides Africa and Indonesia. Everyone outsources to India so you never know if something legit is really legit. Sorry but if I'm dealing with something personal I wanna speak to a CLEAR English speaker and not someone that sounds like they have balls in their mouth. We need clear communication or this call is over.
    You cannot trust the phone number or caller ID either because they can make the call appear to come from whatever name and number they want. Only your phone company can verify where the call came from and the pricks wont even tell you, hows that. But they will sell and turn over your **** to law enforcement and the government without even a warrant or were for a while supposedly lol.
    Thanks for the heads up BBI

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I went ahead and locked my credit with all 3 credit reporting companies and the exchange service center (which does credit checks for utilities and phone companies, including mobile phones) as well and filed a police report. I won't be able to find out exactly what they did with my bank accounts until the morning.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Last edited:

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    I went ahead and locked my credit with all 3 credit reporting companies and the exchange service center (which does credit checks for utilities and phone companies, including mobile phones) as well and filed a police report. I won't be able to find out exactly what they did with my bank accounts until the morning.

What is this service center? We have locked all the agencies several years now. But this center is new to me

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Dang BBI, I am sorry to hear about them stealing from you. :xmad: I quit using Verizon 2 years ago. $35 exactly per month to Boost gets me unlimited everything...1/3 to 1/4 what I was paying Verizon. Screw that noise. Thanks for the heads up though. My kids still use it for some reason. Even smart kids can be idiots I guess. :dunno:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

So apparently you can be in Dallas, TX and as long as you have "my" mobile number you can initiate an account recovery without triggering any fraud alerts until money moves. Despite having a phone password, despite having device recognition, despite having a PIN. Seems incredible unsafe. USAA is refunding my money in 1-2 business days, and luckily it's not enough to cause anything to bounce or be rejected...but wow that's dumb. The "good" news is now that someone's busted in to my account I can actually set up a higher level of security. Stupidity.

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    Damn, sorry to hear about that. Thanks for the heads up. I would like to share this via Facebook if you don't mind.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    A couple of years ago or so somebody did something sorta similar to us on our cell phones. The details escape me know but they were able to buy new phones on our account, etc. We reported it to ATT and they resolved it but it was a PIA.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Why any company still uses a four digit numeric code for any type of security is beyond me. Also not sure why SMS is still being used for 2FA after it's been a proven weak point for years now.

BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    sucks this happened, hope you get back to whole as quick as possible.

That said, this is why I refuse to do any banking app on my phone. Everyone tells me I'm crazy and nothing like this could happen.

Didn't they used to shoot horse thieves?

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis

That said, this is why I refuse to do any banking app on my phone. Everyone tells me I'm crazy and nothing like this could happen.

For the most part, a phone is no less secure than a computer. The phone is just more portable. For the OP's situation the criminals stole the entire phone number and then socially engineered their way into the OP's bank account. Social engineering attacks on support and help desks is a favorite of criminals at the moment.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    They can try to take "money" out of the account tied to my phone, the ATM/website checkout will just grow a fist and punch them while laughing. Changed anyway thanks for the heads up.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Nothing to do with a banking app. Call from "your phone" which is associated with your account, request User ID be texted to you via "forgot user ID" on website. Then request to reset password via website. That's sent to "your phone" as well. Then change password and gain access to online account. Change PIN, wire yourself money, and then cancel service on "your phone" so the person has trouble reporting it and can't just do the same thing to gain control of the account back.

The app can actually be more secure, in that you can set it to require a fingerprint or facial recognition. Of course now I find out USAA has a physical key fob thing you can request as well, which will generate a one time code each time you need to access something online.

*oh, and some folks have asked how they knew where I bank. Since they had my records, they could see what bank I used to pay my phone bill, which was USAA.

Top Bottom