Someone stole my bike, feeling uncomfortable leaving my home.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Wednesday I got home around 6:30 pm, my motorized bike was leaning against a shed in my back yard. It hadnt even been out very long as i had started working on it again ( since i wrecked it i had neglected to fix anything on it, or even touch it for that matter)

anyway, i remember pulling up in my truck and seeing my bike. I ran in the house grabbed some head phones and headed for the gym.

when i got back, about 7:50/8:00 O'clock. My bike was gone. I know i shouldnt have left it out, but i live in a nice neighborhood.. never see any weird cars or strangers roaming.

the police came and everything. I didnt expect anything to come of it, i just wanted it on report for the records.

I am upset about the bike. But now I feel like i cant leave my house empty. I was barely gone an hour and the bike disappeared.
    Was someone casing my house? Will they be back for more goodies? Im not sure what i should do. I cant afford a camera system, or any real security right now. And my house is often left vacant as me and my lady both have day jobs.

Im considering leaving another bike out near where the last one was and staking out over the course of a week or so. So if he shows up again i can call the police and see something happen to the criminal. I cant think of anything else I can do.

Ive already been through all the slums and college housing areas. Another interesting point is that the gas tank was completely empty. I had just drained it. it would have had to of been walked out or picked up by a vehicle.

Not sleeping well knowing someone is sneaking around my yard in the daylight. How many times has he been back there at night?
    the bike wasnt even visible from the road.. and I live at a dead end.

I know its just a bike, but its the fact that someone was in my yard.. Im sure ill get over it eventually but right now I dont feel comfortable.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Bloomington bums are stealing everything that isn't tied down.......get your stuff put up and put up a surveillance cam.....Bloomington is turning into a **** hole.....thanks to the libs...

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Someone on my Nextdoor app recommended these. They're technically indoor cameras, but he said he has had his mounted up under his roof overhang and hasn't had any problems. Cheap option, and you can monitor from your cell phone. I just ordered one to try out for my front door. We sit out on our deck from spring thru late fall, so security aside, I figure this will notify me if someone is at the front door.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Merkury-Inno...a-Mi-cw007/8020075784?iid=132785380056&chn=ps

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    These douche bags cruise all the areas. They see stuff and just take it. This is the way of things. Just do not leave anything out.

Even with cameras they will not catch these people unless the LEO recognizes them.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    About 2 years ago I left the house and went to my daughters high school baseball game (yes baseball. Her school didn't have softball so she was starting 2nd baseman). Just before we left I had grilled something and moved the grill kinda close to the garage door to cool. When we got back a few hours later found my grill was gone. Someone dumped the still warm charcoal in my driveway and took my Weber kettle grill. It just honked me off more than anything. Sadly nothing is safe being left outside anymore

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    It's normal to feel violated when someone comes onto your property and steals something. Whether it's taking something outside or breaking in, your "castle" has just been "robbed". You will recover and it's a relatively harmless reminder for you (and us) to be ever vigilant and lock stuff up.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Cameras can be a deterrent to a certain level but these people care about little. Our ZTR was stolen in May from the shop where we had taken it for service. The thief cut a fence in back, drove in and loaded up ours and one more mower. They have great descriptions of him and his vehicle as he has been spotted on camera doing the same thing at several other businesses. He even hit the golf cart place in Martinsville 6 times in one weekend!!

There's very little deterrent to stop these types other than lead.

Not that I'm advocating shooting them or anything.

Of course I'm not advocating AGAINST it either.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Cameras can be a deterrent to a certain level but these people care about little. Our ZTR was stolen in May from the shop where we had taken it for service. The thief cut a fence in back, drove in and loaded up ours and one more mower. They have great descriptions of him and his vehicle as he has been spotted on camera doing the same thing at several other businesses. He even hit the golf cart place in Martinsville 6 times in one weekend!!

There's very little deterrent to stop these types other than lead.

Not that I'm advocating shooting them or anything.

Of course I'm not advocating AGAINST it either.

As to the cameras. We have very clear footage of 2 different people taking a dump in front of both houses in the early morning hours. Amazing disregard.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    As to the cameras. We have very clear footage of 2 different people taking a dump in front of both houses in the early morning hours. Amazing disregard.

Ever clicked on a thread, read something, and wished you wouldn’t have? :):

Who raised these people? I don’t let my dog do that on other people’s lawns, and he’s a animal!

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    My youngest son had his car broken into over in Vincennes a couple of weeks ago. I believe the car was in his driveway. They tore apart the steering column to try and hot wire it or something. They failed but now he's out money, time, and effort trying to get it repaired.

I know they say a human life isn't worth taking over material things but sometimes their life isn't worth what the cost of replacement/repairs are to me. I hate a thief.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    You just received a personal message from the world...it was full of d-bags yesterday, is today and will be tomorrow. Live accordingly. :draw: Paralysis is not a really good option, awareness is.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I know they say a human life isn't worth taking over material things but sometimes their life isn't worth what the cost of replacement/repairs are to me. I hate a thief.

As far as I'm concerned their lives are worth nothing...but then again they're not worth me going to jail over either.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    As far as I'm concerned their lives are worth nothing...but then again they're not worth me going to jail over either.

Yeah...that's the quandary. A years or decades in prison is a high price to pay for a few moments of satisfaction. ;)

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Wednesday I got home around 6:30 pm, my motorized bike was leaning against a shed in my back yard. It hadnt even been out very long as i had started working on it again ( since i wrecked it i had neglected to fix anything on it, or even touch it for that matter)

anyway, i remember pulling up in my truck and seeing my bike. I ran in the house grabbed some head phones and headed for the gym.

when i got back, about 7:50/8:00 O'clock. My bike was gone. I know i shouldnt have left it out, but i live in a nice neighborhood.. never see any weird cars or strangers roaming.

the police came and everything. I didnt expect anything to come of it, i just wanted it on report for the records.

I am upset about the bike. But now I feel like i cant leave my house empty. I was barely gone an hour and the bike disappeared.
    Was someone casing my house? Will they be back for more goodies? Im not sure what i should do. I cant afford a camera system, or any real security right now. And my house is often left vacant as me and my lady both have day jobs.

Im considering leaving another bike out near where the last one was and staking out over the course of a week or so. So if he shows up again i can call the police and see something happen to the criminal. I cant think of anything else I can do.

Ive already been through all the slums and college housing areas. Another interesting point is that the gas tank was completely empty. I had just drained it. it would have had to of been walked out or picked up by a vehicle.

Not sleeping well knowing someone is sneaking around my yard in the daylight. How many times has he been back there at night?

I know its just a bike, but its the fact that someone was in my yard.. Im sure ill get over it eventually but right now I dont feel comfortable.
    If someone was casing your house, they wouldn't have taken a wrecked moped. This was almost certainly a crime of opportunity, probably by kids since it doesn't look like you live in a neighborhood inhabited by scrap dealers.

Most likely, it's hidden behind a shed or in the woods in your neighborhood, in the hopes that mom and dad don't run across it and get nosy.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Buy a Tile Sport! Someone running the phone app might get within ~200 feet and locate it for you. It's not exactly quick but eventually someone will get close enough for the app to notify you. I have several and have used the app to track my bags in the airport.

https://www.thetileapp.com/en-us/products/sport

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis

Why I have a recording video system. That was a crime of opportunity.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Doesn't cost much to have webcams looking out your windows in a few directions. If you have a computer that stays at home, there are great security cam programs that will record activity (frame change movement.) I may have a webcam or two not presently in use that you can borrow to get you started. Lemme know.

Next question. Do you know your neighbors? Have they or you coordinated on any suspicious activity? They may well be oblivious to the threat or even be nonchalant. Regardless, it'd be good info to know.

The homeless sanctuary that Bloomington has become is a problem. :twocents:

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    My son had his car window broken out to steal a GPS. Cost 250 to get the window fixed. The street value of the GPS was probably 30 bucks.

I will echo what others have said. Get a camera system. They are not expensive any more and even less if you DIY. I have a system for my house and one for my pole barn.

Top Bottom