• ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    On shooting of two Prince George's County police officers last night: Police say officers were acting on an informant's tip & entered an innocent man's apartment, who fired to protect his daughter from what he believed was a home invasion.

Got to be more to this story.

Also, while this wasn't necessarily Swatting (that we know of), this is certainly another potential result of it.

Father Shot 2 Officers Who Mistakenly Served Warrant at His Home

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I dont see how he shot them unless they didnt have badges and vests on with POLICE on them.
    I've said before that someone entering my home has less than 2 seconds to identify themselves less if they have guns being raised towards me.
    But wrong house or not, I'm not going to knowingly shoot at legitimate cops trying to serve a warrant to the best of their ability. Yeah, My legal right to survive trumps theirs if they are in my house illegaly or by mistake even, and the law in Indiana backs me up on that. But no one in their RIGHT mind wants to shoot at the police.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Hey, whatever became of that Judge Davis (I think) and his "No Knock Entry" shenanigans years back? There was even an Indy State House protest about it.

And even if they do knock first and maybe announce who they are, I wouldn't answer the door.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Hey, whatever became of that Judge Davis (I think) and his "No Knock Entry" shenanigans years back? There was even an Indy State House protest about it.

And even if they do knock first and maybe announce who they are, I wouldn't answer the door.

Yeah, yelling or saying POLICE is not a new tactic...

[video=youtube;0TcilNi97aU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TcilNi97aU[/video]

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Lacking more information than what is in the article, I'm going to take a swag at what happened.

He heard the officers announce themselves, but since he didn't know of a reason real police officers would be serving him a search warrant he thought it was a criminal ruse. Thus, he didn't answer the door, but instead got his shotgun.

The officers, not getting an answer, but hearing someone move about inside, decide to enter.

He had the shotgun pointed at the door with his finger on the trigger, then the sudden shock of them knocking the door down caused him to fire inadvertently before he recognized that they really were officers.

Thus, the entire episode is an example of:

1) Pointing the gun at something he wasn't really ready to destroy.
    2) Finger on trigger before ready to shoot.
    3) Failure to properly identify target and what was behind it.

He gets a pass on treating the gun as if it was loaded.

This is half in jest, glad it didn't turn out worse.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Yeah, yelling or saying POLICE is not a new tactic...

[video=youtube;0TcilNi97aU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TcilNi97aU[/video]

Yes. I remember that incident well.

Nonetheless, I have had some ask why I always carry in the house (because 100% of home invasions happen in the home) and why I always have a firearm in hand when anybody knocks on a door.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Lacking more information than what is in the article, I'm going to take a swag at what happened.

He heard the officers announce themselves, but since he didn't know of a reason real police officers would be serving him a search warrant he thought it was a criminal ruse. Thus, he didn't answer the door, but instead got his shotgun.

The officers, not getting an answer, but hearing someone move about inside, decide to enter.

He had the shotgun pointed at the door with his finger on the trigger, then the sudden shock of them knocking the door down caused him to fire inadvertently before he recognized that they really were officers.

THis building must have a record of this kind of behavior, even the chief was backing up the shooter.

1.) He obviously was willing to destroy what he was aiming at.
    2.) When you hear what you expect to be invaders slamming on your door I think that is a warrantable time to get your finger on the trigger.
    3.) Failure of the targets to properly identify themselves. The police chief had nothing but good things to say about the homeowner while he admitted fault of the entry team and department intel as a whole. Once the entry team identified themselves as police in uniform he put the gun down and surrendered. But at the point where he shot all he knew was that his door was just kicked in and people where coming through it, personally i'm not waiting for them to open the door and present me their ID's and their intent. I don't think it was inadvertent, he meant to shoot when he shot. Once that door is down there is nothing left between home invaders, potential child traffickers and yourself... I mean I'm not waiting.

I'm thinking the cops came up silent to keep from spooking the suspected criminal. They probably set up the breach, making noises that sound like people about to forcefully enter your castle. Then they probably only identified themselves as they breached, too late. This was a common tactic while I lived in not so nice parts of the Phoenix metro area. Surround the house quiet, bash in all the windows and come in smoking through the front door. I don't see any other scenario where the chief takes the guys side who shot his guys like he did.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011

There's got to be more to this story, but for now....

I don't know.
    I like cops. I have a bunch of cop friends. But if a bunch of guys in black pajamas kick in my door and ran in, I'm going to shoot more than just once and I'm going to purposely aim and shoot directly at them until I'm convinced they aren't bad guys. And there is the problem, friendlies don't normally kick in my door and run in.

Hesitation can lead to death.
    Isn't hindsight great!

1) Pointing the gun at something he wasn't really ready to destroy. - Bad guy kicking in my door. I'm ready. - Check.
    2) Finger on trigger before ready to shoot. - If I'm aiming at the door, my finger is on the trigger because I'm ready to shoot. Check.
    3) Failure to properly identify target and what was behind it.- Behind the bad guys dressed in black are probably more bad guys. I'll keep shooting. Check.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T

I don't know.
    I like cops. I have a bunch of cop friends. But if a bunch of guys in black pajamas kick in my door and ran in, I'm going to shoot more than just once and I'm going to purposely aim and shoot directly at them until I'm convinced they aren't bad guys. And there is the problem, friendlies don't normally kick in my door and run in.

Isn't hindsight great!

1) Pointing the gun at something he wasn't really ready to destroy. - Bad guy kicking in my door. I'm ready. - Check.
    2) Finger on trigger before ready to shoot. - If I'm aiming at the door, my finger is on the trigger because I'm ready to shoot. Check.
    3) Failure to properly identify target and what was behind it.- Behind the bad guys dressed in black are probably more bad guys. I'll keep shooting. Check.

Bingo on this one. Pro-LEO, but how easy is it for bad guys to acquire police-looking apparel? And it is not hard to find previously-unmarked cars or look-alikes?

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast

I don't know.

Isn't hindsight great!

I'm shocked he was able to stop himself after the first shot. That is some acute sit awareness to not tunnelvision and keep racking. Unless it was a single shot. I hate that officers got hurt, but this was not malicious intent nor was he targeting officers intending harm, from all reports and the guy was only begging that they not shoot his daughter after/while proper introductions were made. I can all to easily put myself in his shoes, especially after living a year in an apartment that no matter what I'm answering the door with a shotgun. I loved when they came out with the pizza delivery tracker.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    We only know what we've read. The fact they're not going to arrest the dad and have put a temporary moratorium on such warrants while they review their procedures would indicate the dad was in the right. I'm glad the guy(s) that returned fire didn't hit anyone..

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    We only know what we've read. The fact they're not going to arrest the dad and have put a temporary moratorium on such warrants while they review their procedures would indicate the dad was in the right. I'm glad the guy(s) that returned fire didn't hit anyone..

Bad situation, but it seems like they are dealing with it as best they can at this point.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Bingo on this one. Pro-LEO, but how easy is it for bad guys to acquire police-looking apparel? And it is not hard to find previously-unmarked cars or look-alikes?
    And they have done this in indy too. Criminals I mean.
    Also they had 1 (maybe a group) of indy cops not too many years back that were actualy using their real badges to rob people. FBI arrested them.

What are the odds though?

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    It is stupid easy to get hold of enough realistic looking gear to pass as a LEO so long as the mark doesn't have time to look closely and think.

I can't think of any instance where cops bent on dynamic entry actually give occupants time to answer a door.
    It's like BANGBANGBANGPOLICEOPENUP(Door crashes in) 2 seconds and you got MiB all over the place screaming. I would just about rather see a stealth entry where knockout gas is introduced into the dwelling first. Sleeping crims can't cause trouble and everyone's blood pressure stays 50 points lower.

Top Bottom