• ...and so much more!
  • PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    Ingo folk,

Bought a 2015 Ram 1500 a while back. It came with ONE key fob. Would like to have 2.

Used car dealer put me in touch of their "locksmith" who quoted me $160 for a new fob plus programming. (Remote start fob)

Locksmith shows up today and and hour later says "I don't know why but it won't take the programming. 3 new fobs, swapped batteries and still....nothing".

I asked what the next step should be - "Well, maybe you could get another locksmith or take it to a RAM dealer...sorry" WTF???

This is a 2015 Ram 1500. I do have a quote from a RAM "stealership" for a new fob = $372.... This is nuts...right?

LOOKING for a locksmith, preferably up near Westfield.

Please don't tell me I should have insisted on 2 keys... This is usually an easy task.

Suggestions?

Pappy (just one lost key away from a big problem)

LeverGunFan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Bartholomew County
    I could give some tips for Ford replacement keys, but that won't help you... If no one here has a solution, I suggest that you join an online Dodge Ram forum and search the messages for replacement keys, it's a common problem. If the search doesn't turn up anything, post a message asking for help. That's how I learned how to get a spare key for my F150 for about $55.

Maybe try this forum: https://www.ramforum.com/

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I just bought one for a toyota off the net for $12. It was a ballet of opening doors and putting the key in the lock to get it programmed. Maybe the Ram is the same :dunno:

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    Thanks everyone. I found a place in Fishers, Bob's Lock and Key, right in front of the Walmart on 96th. Has the correct fob, etc. $266, out the door. Ouch! But still about $110 less than the dealership.

The days of hot-wiring a car or laying a big screwdriver across a starter to get down the road are long gone.

Ericpwp- I have done the "key dance" as well with some older cars. The 2015 Ram is a "proximity" system. Kind of neat- fob can be in your pocket and the doors will automatically unlock.

I don't know sometimes... if all this technology is worth it. I had a little 1994 Toyota truck that all three of my sons drove. Over 250k when it finally rusted out enough to be unsafe. Had a guy buy it just for the old 22R engine. That little truck still had keys that could be cut at the hardware store. No chips or other nonsense.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Thanks everyone. I found a place in Fishers, Bob's Lock and Key, right in front of the Walmart on 96th. Has the correct fob, etc. $266, out the door. Ouch! But still about $110 less than the dealership.

The days of hot-wiring a car or laying a big screwdriver across a starter to get down the road are long gone.

Ericpwp- I have done the "key dance" as well with some older cars. The 2015 Ram is a "proximity" system. Kind of neat- fob can be in your pocket and the doors will automatically unlock.

I don't know sometimes... if all this technology is worth it. I had a little 1994 Toyota truck that all three of my sons drove. Over 250k when it finally rusted out enough to be unsafe. Had a guy buy it just for the old 22R engine. That little truck still had keys that could be cut at the hardware store. No chips or other nonsense.
    I hate all the new technology. Sure it's "neat", but when it goes wrong, it goes wrong in a big (and expensive) way. I'm sure car thieves have figured out a way around it too, so it's probably not preventing theft as much as they thought it would. 2 or 3 hundred for a key fob... That's just insane. But whaddaya gonna do. *sigh*

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I hate all the new technology. Sure it's "neat", but when it goes wrong, it goes wrong in a big (and expensive) way. I'm sure car thieves have figured out a way around it too, so it's probably not preventing theft as much as they thought it would. 2 or 3 hundred for a key fob... That's just insane. But whaddaya gonna do. *sigh*
    Thieves haven't needed a key for quite a while. Keys/fobs/security systems only keep mostly honest people from rifleing through your car and for marketing and sales people to highlight as a fancy feature.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    https://carkeysexpress.com

I used these guys for a duplicate key & fob for my 03 Ram. $63 total.

****Clarification.... They were doing a (dealer paid for) new fob for the van we had just bought at the car lot. I asked if he could do a spare set for my truck and he agreed. I'm not sure if I got a discount or not.

Last edited:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    A couple of mechanics have told me that the cheapest way is to buy a key fob online then have a dealer program it (or a repair shop that has the program to do it). I too have a 2015 Ram with only 1 key fob but I haven't got a second one made yet so I don't have any personal experience getting a second.

Top Bottom