• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    Howdy guys and gals,

Can anyone explain to me why coffins are placed in large metal containers before they are placed into the ground? My parents said it is state law and it is another way for the funeral home or cemetery to make more money. Thanks for input

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    It's not state law. You aren't even required to use a coffin by law. Cemeteries can have their own rules about that sort of thing, though.

As for the vault, some cemeteries will require them because it's supposed to help reduce maintenance costs. The grave is less likely to sink/settle then with a coffin alone. They also make grave robbing harder, although I think that's not really much of a thing these days.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Yep. I don’t even care what’s done with the ashes. Funerals and ceremonies are for the living. “The living know that they’ll die but the dead know nothing.”

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    IMO we should rent caskets. Have the show, then once family is gone recover things. HUGE waste of $$$

They have those. There is also a cemetery in Pike County licensed for burials of non-embalmed remains.

A coming thing is chemical "cremation". Your body is put in a tank of heated caustic fluid and dissolved. At the end the waste is neutral enough to wash down the drain. Much lower carbon footprint than all those BTUs wasted burning.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    More or less what happened with my mom. I gave her ashes to her best friend from grade school on and she worked the ashes into the soil of her Amaryllis bed.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    They have those. There is also a cemetery in Pike County licensed for burials of non-embalmed remains.

A coming thing is chemical "cremation". Your body is put in a tank of heated caustic fluid and dissolved. At the end the waste is neutral enough to wash down the drain. Much lower carbon footprint than all those BTUs wasted burning.

Hrm... so no more SSS?

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    We already have our cremation planned and paid for. Don't need no coffin, don't need no stone. Untold millions before me have lived good lives and left absolutely no trace after they died. I will not be ashamed to join them.

The Klingons may be onto something - just and empty shell. Treat it as such.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    That’s true. Like Insaid, funerals are for the living. But I don’t want my family spending money on my funeral when they can put the money to better use. Well. Unless if it’s for hookers and blow.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I've told my wife that I do not want a funeral or to be buried. Just a simple shoulder mount placed on the wall above the head of our bed so that she will never forget me.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Above ground burial requires a "sealer" type casket for obvious reasons concerning leakage down to the next level and beyond. Below ground just about anything goes and the vaults are designed to reduce soil subsidence. The casket industry is big business here in Indiana, learned a few things along the way.

Top Bottom