Phylo's country livin problem of the week!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    This time we're at the well. We've had pretty poor pressure since we moved in but it hasn't been on top of my priority list. I had a hydrant in the yard which was leaking below ground and I figured that wasn't helping things so I decided that today was the day and I dug it up. I was expecting to find a broken pipe or cracked fitting but neither was the case. Instead it appears something inside of the hydrant isn't working properly and it was pouring a nice 50psi stream of water out of the drain hole. I stuffed a screw wrapped heavily in teflon tape in it to hold it for the time being but the spigot itself promptly began to leak.

I have two additional hydrants in my barn and don't need this one out in the middle of my yard. My question is this....Can I just cap this water line off and bury it? If so, what do I need to buy/use to cap it? It appears to be 1"(ish) black plastic pipe.

AJEmkqXh.jpg

zj3e50Zh.jpg

O98Pkkbh.jpg

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I also did some testing on my pressure switch and tank. The tank is holding air like it should and an adjustment to the switch has the cut in/out cycling properly (it is a square D switch). The pressure gets to 60, the switch shuts the pump off and the pressure gauge shows the pressure immediately begin to drop down to around 55psi where it seems to taper off. Is this indicative of another leak in the system somewhere?

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    That hole you plugged is a drain so the hydrant doesn't freeze in the winter. Should be able to find something at your local hardware to plug the pipe.Would be just as easy to replace the hydrant.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Yeah, I know what the hole is for but it isn't working properly and had created a swamp in the yard.

I would replace the hydrant but I don't need a third one out in the middle of my yard.

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    Oops, sorry. Plug you need would probably be a brass plug inserted into the plastic then tighten the hose clamp.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Shut off the breaker for the well pump, drain pressure and cut black poly pipe and take a piece of it to the hardware store and get a threaded nipple and a cap. Install said parts on poly line and turn breaker back on.
    If there is a shutoff valve for the yard hydrants shut it instead of shutting off well.
    It wouldn't be a problem to cap it off, if it hasn't frozen yet, most likely it will not ever.

The poly pipe is either 3/4 or 1" pipe.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Thanks CP. I may just buy both a 3/4" and a 1" nipple and cap so I don't have to shut the water off too long. Is there a preferred tool for cutting the poly pipe?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/BrassCraft-Up-to-1-1-2-in-Poly-Tube-Cutter/999903275

I've got something like these that I use to cut CPVC and other plastic tubing. If you're not going to fix or replace that hydrant, I'd figure out a way to mark the end of the pipe for future reference. You may not need it now but that might change in the future and if it does, it'd be nice to know where it is.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Any kind of handsaw, hacksaw or sawzaw will work. If it's thick walled poly you can take a propane torch and warm it up to make inserting the nipple easier...
    There's a hundred jokes right there..

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/BrassCraft-Up-to-1-1-2-in-Poly-Tube-Cutter/999903275

I've got something like these that I use to cut CPVC and other plastic tubing. If you're not going to fix or replace that hydrant, I'd figure out a way to mark the end of the pipe for future reference. You may not need it now but that might change in the future and if it does, it'd be nice to know where it is.

It's easier to take two or three known measurements off fixed objects and write them down and tape them the say, the breaker box.. :):

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    It's easier to take two or three known measurements off fixed objects and write them down and tape them the say, the breaker box.. :):

I did that with the two survey pins on the back of my place, since those corners have no other marker than the steel stakes that are at ground level. I measured off of two nearby trees for each one, so that two points of a triangle are the trees and the other is the corner. I keep those measurements in my "general property" file.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Any kind of handsaw, hacksaw or sawzaw will work. If it's thick walled poly you can take a propane torch and warm it up to make inserting the nipple easier...

The only reason I didn't recommend a saw it that my experience has been it's difficult to get a saw down there and space to operate it. If he can clear enough space around the pipe to reach it and then operate the saw, they yeah, that would save a few bucks.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I am curious - and not being critical but . . . . . . . was this issue not discovered when the pre closing inspection was performed ? If there was an issue and not discovered or disclosed, would you have some recourse against the inspector ?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I am curious - and not being critical but . . . . . . . was this issue not discovered when the pre closing inspection was performed ? If there was an issue and not discovered or disclosed, would you have some recourse against the inspector ?

The inspection didn't cover anything outside of the house itself so the barn (electrical), water hydrants, etc. weren't inspected.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I also did some testing on my pressure switch and tank. The tank is holding air like it should and an adjustment to the switch has the cut in/out cycling properly (it is a square D switch). The pressure gets to 60, the switch shuts the pump off and the pressure gauge shows the pressure immediately begin to drop down to around 55psi where it seems to taper off. Is this indicative of another leak in the system somewhere?

Watch the pressure after you fix this leak, most likely after the leak is fixed and you see the pressure settle down it's just the pipes in your house and the plastic pipe in your yard that's expanding with the well pump running and pressure going up. It's just equalisation over the water piping system. If you desire more pressure turn the nut down on the taller threaded rod under the pump switch cover a few turns and open a valve and see where the pressure is when the pump keep kicks off. If you go above 65 psi you most likely will get a hammer and or the toilets will sound like a jet engine when filling the tank and shutting off.
    Don't adjust the shorter threaded shaft...

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    The only reason I didn't recommend a saw it that my experience has been it's difficult to get a saw down there and space to operate it. If he can clear enough space around the pipe to reach it and then operate the saw, they yeah, that would save a few bucks.

Sorry, I didn't mean to clip you.. I'm on my phone and I only see one post at a time.
    :yesway:

Top Bottom