• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    My home printer died, which is a bother as my wife runs a little business from home and prints a lot of shipping labels. I drove over to Best Buy to buy a new one. The display model was there, but nobody had bothered to stock the boxes underneath for either of the two I was interested in. No sales people nearby who weren't already with someone, so off to the service desk I go. The woman behind the desk (in a blue shirt) told me to "find a blue shirt" and went back to whatever it was she was doing. Lulz, no thanks. I went home and ordered the same printer online for $30 less with free 2 day shipping. So much easier than working to get you to let me buy something from you.

So when people complain why "spend local" fails so often, it's because you make it a bother. I can drive to your location, maybe find what I want and maybe not, stand in line to pay for it, and probably get treated like **** in the process...or I can click a few buttons and get it (generally cheaper) in a few days without even having to put on pants.

The last time I went out of my way to "spend local" was at a reloading component store. I drove nearly 45 minutes, found the doors locked because the owner was taking a delivery in the rear (which I *think* wasn't a euphemism) and locked the front with no sign or anything. I called several times and he finally answered and let me know he'd let me in in 15 minutes or so. I waited, bought a few things, but since the prices were higher on literally everything then I could get online, never went back. Why go through the bother? If you want me to "spend local" you need to have a niche or some reason to buy from you other than "spend local", especially if I'm paying more to do it. Creating obstacles for me to spend money with you is the opposite of that.

There's a lot of "good ol' days" nostalgia I like to occasionally wallow around in, but being at the mercy of local retailers isn't one of them. So, thanks Best Buy, for saving me $30, reminding me of how freaking sweet it is have access to online shopping, and reminding me to be grateful for the wealth of options I have.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I sort of hate it, but the man ain't lyin'.

I LIKE being able to go into a local joint and nose around. But when arrogance in management, or just plain **** poor customer service attitudes make it the slightest bit aggravating for me, then bye bye.

To all those in retail management and customer service: Amazon didn't grow into an 800 lb. gorilla overnight. And it didn't do it without YOUR help.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I shop online almost exclusively anymore. I hate spending time and money running all over to find that what I want isn't in stock anyway. I hunt for sales, use Ebates to get money back and discounts, find promo codes, almost always get free shipping, etc. If I do have to pay shipping, I find that my overall cost is still often way cheaper than buying it locally, and they often have to order what I need because they don't have it in stock anyway.

I have had excellent luck with returning items that were incorrect or defective and have had no issues getting refunds.

My last printer was about $100 less than buying it in any store in my area. That was hard to beat.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    It's the same online or local, there is good and bad for both. I had online retailers make it right and some that never respond. I shop where I'm appreciated as a customer. Shop and learn.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I realized today that I spent 20 minutes searching Lowe's for four items. To find the wood shims I had to open their website, have it tell me what isle/bay they were in, realize it was wrong, all two people before finally finding them. Why is it so difficult to find things when the entire store could be mapped out and Star Trek like guidance should take you exactly where you need to be.

Apparently ordering online and picking up in the store is the way to go.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I'm surprised how many businesses stay open as long as they do.

I'm CONVINCED that many people who have a business don't actually want to have a business. They just are incapable of working for someone else, and they have enough pride to not be on welfare. So they open a business not because they want to grow it or nurture it, and frankly if they closed up shop they'd probably not care one whit. They didn't put much into it, so they barely feel a sting to lose it.

Me, I'm all in. If I open a business I'll guarantee you I'll be killing myself to make that thing work and grow.

Skullglide

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Otterbein
    I definitely agree. I shop at Menards a lot. I have used the rolling stairs, associate yelled at me. Another time I just climbed the racking to get the plumbing fitting they had not restocked, didn’t get caught. I used a fork truck to get a fresh bunk of treated lumber down, the young man who caught me was well pAssed PO’d. In my defense I did put the bunk in it’s proper location. Customer service is lost in our society.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I realized today that I spent 20 minutes searching Lowe's for four items. To find the wood shims I had to open their website, have it tell me what isle/bay they were in, realize it was wrong, all two people before finally finding them. Why is it so difficult to find things when the entire store could be mapped out and Star Trek like guidance should take you exactly where you need to be.

Apparently ordering online and picking up in the store is the way to go.

Surprising. When I use their app, it tells me EXACTLY where the item is. "aisle 26, section C, Slot 47". So far its been dead on except for one, but it was a discontinued item that they think got backstocked and not recorded, and are sitting high up in a box collecting dust. (Swing set brackets)

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    There aren’t even any local businesses anymore. If I want something, it’s typically only available at Walmart or Amazon.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I definitely agree. I shop at Menards a lot. I have used the rolling stairs, associate yelled at me. Another time I just climbed the racking to get the plumbing fitting they had not restocked, didn’t get caught. I used a fork truck to get a fresh bunk of treated lumber down, the young man who caught me was well pAssed PO’d. In my defense I did put the bunk in it’s proper location. Customer service is lost in our society.

:laugh: love it...

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Wife and I went to Ace Hardware, guy was too busy to be bothered, store was empty. We asked about a window repair, guy said we don't do that, yet they sell glass,.etc. Then he pipes in When I need something I go to the yellow pages, and walked away. Makes you wonder about a store not really needing customers.

Indy-Mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Carmel
    How about being in the middle of a transaction and they answer the phone and proceed to spend 5 minutes answering questions while you stand there twiddling your thumbs

Notropis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    NWI
    While I agree with the problems with both availability/price as well as customer service, we NEED to maintain local supply and support. I find Internet purchases are my default, so I'm just as guilty. I feel bad for local stores. They can't compete with Amazon on price and they have pretty awful labor pool (that often feel entitled to far more than the market will allow). I'm not sure how these stores will make it in coming years but they need to sort out customer service at the very least.

Herr Vogel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2018
    Rossburg
    Everyone seems to be conflating 'physical retail outlet' with 'local business'. I don't consider any business where you can't go in and shake hands with the owner to be 'local', and furthermore conject that giving your business to a big box retail chain was your first mistake.

I personally try to avoid buying things online, but sometimes that's not possible; it just irks me to buy something sight unseen with basically no opportunity for returns or exchanges, pay almost as much in shipping as for the product, and still have to wait five to seven business days to get it in my hands.

Yeah, it'd probably be easier to get an Amazon Prime account or similar, but I have convictions that prevent me from giving them my money. And if a little bit of inconvenience was enough to get me to abandon my values, what kind of a person would I be?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Wife and I went to Ace Hardware, guy was too busy to be bothered, store was empty. We asked about a window repair, guy said we don't do that, yet they sell glass,.etc. Then he pipes in When I need something I go to the yellow pages, and walked away. Makes you wonder about a store not really needing customers.

That's interesting because Ace stores are independently owned. You either found an owner he just doesn't give a damn (rare) or an employee who knew the boss was away.

I would follow up and ask to speak to the owner. I promise he would be interested in knowing about this employee dismissing you like that.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I ordered a sweet brand new all In one photo printer online and had it delivered either same day delivery or next day (free) and that was like 8 months or so ago. It's still sitting in the box because I am afraid I wont know how to hook it up or make it work and I'll smash it because it's a piece of **** and it beeped at me wrong.
    But yep I agree with BBI.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    My home printer died, which is a bother as my wife runs a little business from home and prints a lot of shipping labels. I drove over to Best Buy to buy a new one. The display model was there, but nobody had bothered to stock the boxes underneath for either of the two I was interested in. No sales people nearby who weren't already with someone, so off to the service desk I go. The woman behind the desk (in a blue shirt) told me to "find a blue shirt" and went back to whatever it was she was doing. Lulz, no thanks. I went home and ordered the same printer online for $30 less with free 2 day shipping. So much easier than working to get you to let me buy something from you.

So when people complain why "spend local" fails so often, it's because you make it a bother. I can drive to your location, maybe find what I want and maybe not, stand in line to pay for it, and probably get treated like **** in the process...or I can click a few buttons and get it (generally cheaper) in a few days without even having to put on pants.

The last time I went out of my way to "spend local" was at a reloading component store. I drove nearly 45 minutes, found the doors locked because the owner was taking a delivery in the rear (which I *think* wasn't a euphemism) and locked the front with no sign or anything. I called several times and he finally answered and let me know he'd let me in in 15 minutes or so. I waited, bought a few things, but since the prices were higher on literally everything then I could get online, never went back. Why go through the bother? If you want me to "spend local" you need to have a niche or some reason to buy from you other than "spend local", especially if I'm paying more to do it. Creating obstacles for me to spend money with you is the opposite of that.

There's a lot of "good ol' days" nostalgia I like to occasionally wallow around in, but being at the mercy of local retailers isn't one of them. So, thanks Best Buy, for saving me $30, reminding me of how freaking sweet it is have access to online shopping, and reminding me to be grateful for the wealth of options I have.

IMHO Best Buy should close their doors! I will never spend another cent in their store. My experience: Last year, my 90 year old sister (I have her power of attorney) asked me to help her pick out and purchase a new computer for her and also purchase a (Christmas gift) laptop for one of her great grandchildren.

So we decided to go to Best Buy. This was about 20 ~ 25 mile away. She purchased a "All in one" middle of the line desktop for herself, as I recall about $1400 ~ $1500, and a nice laptop for the child for $300 ~ $400, The laptop had a special deal with a one year subscription to Windows Pro.

Well we took the units to her home and my son, who used to work as a repairman in a computer shop, helped set the units up. He told me the Windows Professional was not installed and we needed the serial number to energize it for the year.

So I called BB, they at first said the card with the serial number was in the laptop box. We still had all the packaging material so searched everything with no success. After multiple calls we were told by another person we should have gotten the "card" when we purchased the unit.

After talking to several clerks with Zero help. I finally spoke to the manager, he said we would have to pick up the card at the store, I explained we were 25 mile away and asked if they would just send the card as they had a record of our purchase. NO WAY, he said we had to pick it up in person.

So I loaded up my sister and drove the approximately 50 mile round trip and the clerk picked up the small paper card from a sales rack containing the serial number and handed it to me. I did explain clearly and loudly it would be the last time I would be in their store!

From now on I will purchase ALL electronics online as well as most other items.

Any local businesses have only a few advantages over online stores and several disadvantages. The only major advantages is that you can see an item and get it immediately. The second is that you can (or should) get personal interaction with the seller and immediate service.

The disadvantages are that you must leave your home and travel to purchase an item at a normally higher cost. I have had far less issues with online purchases than with local purchases.

About the only items I am continually to purchase locally are groceries, gasoline, furniture, Building material, repair parts, firearms and reloading items. Much of the firearm and reloading item are purchased from local persons and Gun shows.

I wouldn't mind paying the increased price IF I got the personal service I expect from a business, but sure won't pay more to get less service!

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Funny coincidence, I was talking to my daughter a few weeks back about finally retiring my flip phone and getting an Iphone. My daughter recommended that I try Best Buy, since she'd gotten a pretty good deal there on a new phone, and she said they could set up a new data plan for me on my Verizon account as part of the deal.

I got online and was reading Yelp reviews of my local Best Buy and several of them read like BBI's post. I didn't have high hopes, but I went in to talk to someone. Long story short, the girl at the phone desk listened to what I told her I was thinking about, then she asked some questions, gave me options, and helped me to pick out my phone and my data plan. She even tried to save data from my old flip phone to my new phone but was unsuccessful. She was smart, knowledgeable, and happy to help me get fixed up with the phone and data plan that worked for me. I walked out of Best Buy with my new phone, feeling very satisfied.

Top Bottom