• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    Hunting in Wyoming next month. Had planned to take 2 ATV's on a snowmobile trailer. Due to an injury of my partner, we may need to take aside-by-side (Ranger) instead. Will that 2-place snowmobile trailer handle a Ranger? Or do we need to find a different trailer?

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Open ended question. I can guess that a snowmobile probably weighs about 600 pounds, what's the side by side weigh? Tires will be most critical, can they handle the weight?

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Small trailer tires spin crazy fast compared to car and truck tires. If you go that route you will want to pull the hubs and check and repack the bearings. And take a few spare tires and rims. Keep your speed down. Check the bearing on the way back too. If there are any doubts replace them. Take a spare set of bearings too. Along with a good punch and hammer. Change the races to if you do the bearings. They aren't that hard to change.

Check the lug nuts every few hundred miles, at least.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Hunting in Wyoming next month. Had planned to take 2 ATV's on a snowmobile trailer. Due to an injury of my partner, we may need to take aside-by-side (Ranger) instead. Will that 2-place snowmobile trailer handle a Ranger? Or do we need to find a different trailer?

I just bought a snow enclosed trailer last week. Mine will hold a ranger, but only because I added extra height to my trailer (86 inch ceiling). Without the height added, it probably will not fit.

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    Open ended question. I can guess that a snowmobile probably weighs about 600 pounds, what's the side by side weigh? Tires will be most critical, can they handle the weight?

Polaris website says my Ranger weighs just under 1100. The ATVs we would have taken would have been 600 lbs each. The Snowmobiles he owns weigh nearly the same.

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    Small trailer tires spin crazy fast compared to car and truck tires. If you go that route you will want to pull the hubs and check and repack the bearings. And take a few spare tires and rims. Keep your speed down. Check the bearing on the way back too. If there are any doubts replace them. Take a spare set of bearings too. Along with a good punch and hammer. Change the races to if you do the bearings. They aren't that hard to change.

Check the lug nuts every few hundred miles, at least.
    We had discussed/planned nearly all your suggestions already considering we were going to tow two ATVs. We have two concerns, This is a much longer trip than his trailer has ever made & less than weight, we had questions about how it would ride on that trailer - higher center of gravity? catching wind? etc.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    We had discussed/planned nearly all your suggestions already considering we were going to tow two ATVs. We have two concerns, This is a much longer trip than his trailer has ever made & less than weight, we had questions about how it would ride on that trailer - higher center of gravity? catching wind? etc.
    What tow vehicle? Our family has towed and even double towed toys thousands of miles before without much issue. Usually just checking air pressure before the trip and take a spare. Trailer tires are fairly easy to source if you do need to replace one. Unless you're in a hurricane braking will be a bigger issue than the wind load and center of gravity. Is the trailer single or dual axle?

Top Bottom