• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dj-vektor

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    Morgantown
    Does anyone know of a Fire 1&2 course or EMT Basic course going on anytime between now and the first part of 2019?

I'm looking to stay relatively close to Martinsville or Franklin. I know C9 has both but they are already going and won't end til mid December.

Thanks

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I'm taking EMT at Bloomington Ivy Tech now, ending in December. I know it's a bit of a drive but it's only two days/nights a week. Pelham, also in Bloomington, has a bunch of courses as well but they are pretty time-intensive. I'm seeing EMT classes at St. Vincent in Indy, Columbus Township FD, Blue River in Shelbyville and New Castle Career Center. Those are about as close as you're gonna get to home. Closest Firefighter 1/2 I'm finding for you is Wayne County, Delaware County, and Hamilton County.

Two things I will advise is to go ahead and register for a PSID (this will allow you to use ACADIS to look up training), and get yourself through a BLS CPR/First Aid course (most likely going to be a prerequisite).

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Thanks! I'll have to get on there and monitor it. Sounds like I'll just have to wait for C9 to start up new courses in December.
    December really isn't that far off. It'll give you plenty of time for that your CPR cert and, if you wanna get a bit ahead of the curve, pick up an intro to anatomy and physiology and pathophysiology. Understanding these will carry you a long way for your EMT training. I can't offer much on Firefighter 1/2 because I haven't gone through them.

Edit: Here's a start.
    https://ahainstructornetwork.americ...nnector.home&courseid=1-5BPOMK&&language=1001

Last edited:

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    Everything will be on Acadis, so get ahead of the curve :)

Pelham is the only one with an "off season" EMT course (2 week intensive); most programs follow the school year, with late summer (July/August) and January start dates. Franciscan Health Indianapolis will have one starting in January in Greenwood--go to franciscanhealth.org and search for EMT. When you're looking at courses, don't just look at cost or duration--I could do a minimum hour course for a minimum price and the value to you will be minimal. First-time pass rate is a good measure (vs "pass rate", which could be after six attempts), but talk with some recent graduates about their experience (if you can).

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    If you can do the accelerated 2 week class at Pelham, do it. I went through it several years ago. It’s intense and exhausting, but it’s only 2 weeks. I’m pretty sure they did a study and they have a higher percentage of people passing it than the traditional class that meets once a week for a few hours.
    Definitely get a log in for Acadis. That’s where all FF1/2 classes are posted.

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    Good point by GlockRock--you can look at the National Registry pass rate on the IDHS site (https://www.in.gov/dhs/4142.htm ) Click on EMS Training, and look at the 2016 and 2017 EMT Course Statistics)--compare # enrolled vs # eligible to test (basically, the # who passed the class) vs # passed the NR exams. A high attrition rate, or low testing rate might make you go hrmmm.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom