• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Well, just got lied to over the phone, guess I'm gonna have to take a drive next week...

A couple weeks ago I ordered a UV-827W for the truck until I can get the Yaesu I'm after. It shows up and about half of the LEDs are out. Since I will be using this while driving, sometimes at night, I want them all to work. Since I purchased a NEW radio I don't think this is too much to ask. Call them up and they say they will exchange it and they email me return postage. It takes a full week for it to get there. It's going to Hamilton, Ohio which is just across the state line and a little ways past Oxford. I'm north of I-70 and I could have driven it there in about 2 hours but didn't have the time. Tracking says it was delivered last Friday after 6pm so it sat there until this Monday. Got a call asking what it was returned for since they didn't enter that information when I talked to them the first time.

Told the guy what was wrong with it and he said he would warranty it out. Monday afternoon it says it was picked up by the post office, priority mail. Tracking says it should be delivered by this Friday :rolleyes:. It made it to the local post office today with delivery marked for tomorrow. I just drove in there and picked it up.

Guess what, it's in the same box I shipped to them. Told the postal lady that it didn't look encouraging. Opened it up and slipped the battery in right there in the post office, it was the same radio. The exact same LEDs were out, the same frequencies were programed in it, the battery still fit tight and the left hand battery latch still rattled because it didn't lock correctly. Pissed off I brought it home and double checked everything, yep same radio. Even the little bubble in the screen protector you peel off was in the same place.

Called R&L and told them I wasn't happy they sent the same radio back to me. The guy insisted that it was a different radio, he "swapped it out himself". Told him about all the things that were identical with this one, including the battery. He said he only swapped out the radio, not the accessories. WTF? So instead of shipping me a different unit off the shelf he supposedly cracked one open and took "just the radio" out and put it in my box to mail out?:bs:What did he do with 'the bad radio' then, put it in the other box to sell to someone else?

I asked him if he actually had any more of these in stock, new ones in the box. He said yes. I'm going to drive down there this Monday and exchange and inspect it in person, or get a full refund before I walk out their door. This is total crap and I will never order anything from them again. This was my first order with them and they could see that when they entered my customer information into their system. Before the end of this year I was planning on getting an FT-70, a FTM-100DR, a new triband base antenna for the house and probably a couple more cheap HT's to have on hand. In the spring I was planning on a HF system. NONE of it will be bought from them now. They can FATWO.

:ranton:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    that's a bummer experience.
    I've bought quite a bit through them, and DX Engineering, also in OH.
    I purchased my MD-380 through R&L, and the screen died in the first 24 hrs. They cross shipped me a new one (I pd for the new one, and they refunded the old once they got it). He even tested the new one before sending it (I could tell he actually did it because it had a code plug loaded).

that's the problem with these cheapo Chinese radios, the buyers do the QC.

Wonder if he really meant to send you a new one and accidently grabbed the wrong box or something... mistakes can happen...

-rvb

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    that's a bummer experience.
    I've bought quite a bit through them, and DX Engineering, also in OH.
    I purchased my MD-380 through R&L, and the screen died in the first 24 hrs. They cross shipped me a new one (I pd for the new one, and they refunded the old once they got it). He even tested the new one before sending it (I could tell he actually did it because it had a code plug loaded).

that's the problem with these cheapo Chinese radios, the buyers do the QC.

Wonder if he really meant to send you a new one and accidently grabbed the wrong box or something... mistakes can happen...

-rvb

He said he didn't grab another box. Flat out told me he only exchanged the radio only, no box, no accessories. Shipped it all back in the first box. No offer of cross shipping a replacement and I didn't think about asking when I first contacted them.

The Chinese radios aren't the greatest, but they are cheap. That's what I wanted for something that stays in the truck. I'm not out much if someone grabs it or it gets damaged some other way. The thing that upsets me is that he lied to me about the radio, not necessarily that the radio was bad.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Sorry to hear this, AngryRooster. My brother and I have made the drive over to R&L Electronica many times and we’ve always been treated fairly. Hopefully they get things sorted to your satisfaction.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Sorry to hear this, AngryRooster. My brother and I have made the drive over to R&L Electronica many times and we’ve always been treated fairly. Hopefully they get things sorted to your satisfaction.

I've never been there in person, I've always looked forward to going when I had the extra funds. That was going to be this year. We rent a good chunk of land and get paid for it in November & April. This year we should have some extra play money and I really wanted to check out some new radio stuff.

Been a ham since 2013, got my radios the same year. Never been to a hamfest either. This has been a great disappointment.

Backpacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Greenwood
    When I got my ticket in '95, IIRC R&L had a store in Indy. I bought radios there as well as the Ohio store . Always felt like they were good to deal with. I suspect they will treat you right.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    He said he didn't grab another box. Flat out told me he only exchanged the radio only, no box, no accessories. Shipped it all back in the first box. No offer of cross shipping a replacement and I didn't think about asking when I first contacted them.

The Chinese radios aren't the greatest, but they are cheap. That's what I wanted for something that stays in the truck. I'm not out much if someone grabs it or it gets damaged some other way. The thing that upsets me is that he lied to me about the radio, not necessarily that the radio was bad.

i don’t know, maybe he did lie. Or maybe he grabbed another radio,got distracted, then accidentally put the old one back in the box. See how they handle it, IMO.

I had to ask for the cross ship, not their usual way to replace. But I was headed out of town and wanted to take it with me and asked him to accommodate...

-rvb

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    Can someone decipher FATWO for me?? I can't seem to fine much online about it..........
    Female adnexal tumor of probable Wolffian origin somehow doesn't seem right.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have bought a lot from them. This is very disturbing. I have sent them a lot of business over the years too. Really sad.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    i don’t know, maybe he did lie. Or maybe he grabbed another radio,got distracted, then accidentally put the old one back in the box. See how they handle it, IMO.

I had to ask for the cross ship, not their usual way to replace. But I was headed out of town and wanted to take it with me and asked him to accommodate...

-rvb

Not sure what happened. There is just too much telling me that it's the same radio. I know sometimes these radios come with a few channels already programed in them, but usually not very many. I downloaded the programing with Chirp on the first one so I could have the actual file from the radio to edit. I saved it just for a backup. It had 17 channels programed into it. All different frequencies, about a third of them had a tone programed, another third had TSQL programed, a few more had DTSC and the last few didn't have any codes. Every frequency and variety of tone was different. When I checked this radio it was identical in every way.

Next was the battery, it fits very tight and one of the latches is lose when it's locked into place. None of my other 3 batteries I already own fit this radio like that. Also, one of the belt clip screws has a burr on it, next is the little bubble under the peel off protective film over the screen, I noticed both of these the first time around. The LEDs that are out are the numbers 2,4,5 & 6 forming a nice pattern. These same LEDs are out on this one.

I could buy the theory that it was an accident, but even if that's the case it's a very bad practice to exchange things the way he did. When you do an exchange you pull a different box off the shelf and ship it out. You don't open that box up and cannibalize the radio only out of it and put it in with the old package then retape it. Especially if it's a warranty claim like he said it would be. That leaves you with 2 items to deal with instead of just one, unless your intent was to put the bad radio into the other box and resell it knowing it's bad. This is exactly what he said he did, pull another radio (only) out of a different box. Now when I go to exchange this I'll always wonder if I'm getting a new radio or another reject that has a problem that I may not see.

I may just ask for a refund instead of an exchange. I don't know if I can trust anything they hand me at this point.

I have bought a lot from them. This is very disturbing. I have sent them a lot of business over the years too. Really sad.

I've mostly read good things about them, they have good prices and are close, that's why I went with them. I've said it before several times, customer service matters. They dropped the ball on this badly. They knew I was a new customer, they had to enter my info into their system. They knew I had a problem with the radio, that's why I was returning it. Even if by some chance this is a different radio that miraculously has all the same problems and markings as the one I returned, they should have checked it to make sure it functioned properly before they shipped it out. Considering he pulled it out of another box and had it in his hand why didn't he put the battery in it and check to make sure it didn't have the same problem as the one I shipped back? I spoke to the guy that said he replaced it a few hours before he shipped it out. He wanted to know what the problem was with the first one. Why would he not check the replacement?

I'll shop anyplace else before I go back there, even if it costs me a little more. I will make sure they know this before I leave the shop as well. **** poor handling of a new customer IMO.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Not sure what happened. There is just too much telling me that it's the same radio. I know sometimes these radios come with a few channels already programed in them, but usually not very many. I downloaded the programing with Chirp on the first one so I could have the actual file from the radio to edit. I saved it just for a backup. It had 17 channels programed into it. All different frequencies, about a third of them had a tone programed, another third had TSQL programed, a few more had DTSC and the last few didn't have any codes. Every frequency and variety of tone was different. When I checked this radio it was identical in every way.

Next was the battery, it fits very tight and one of the latches is lose when it's locked into place. None of my other 3 batteries I already own fit this radio like that. Also, one of the belt clip screws has a burr on it, next is the little bubble under the peel off protective film over the screen, I noticed both of these the first time around. The LEDs that are out are the numbers 2,4,5 & 6 forming a nice pattern. These same LEDs are out on this one.

I could buy the theory that it was an accident, but even if that's the case it's a very bad practice to exchange things the way he did. When you do an exchange you pull a different box off the shelf and ship it out. You don't open that box up and cannibalize the radio only out of it and put it in with the old package then retape it. Especially if it's a warranty claim like he said it would be. That leaves you with 2 items to deal with instead of just one, unless your intent was to put the bad radio into the other box and resell it knowing it's bad. This is exactly what he said he did, pull another radio (only) out of a different box. Now when I go to exchange this I'll always wonder if I'm getting a new radio or another reject that has a problem that I may not see.

I may just ask for a refund instead of an exchange. I don't know if I can trust anything they hand me at this point.

I've mostly read good things about them, they have good prices and are close, that's why I went with them. I've said it before several times, customer service matters. They dropped the ball on this badly. They knew I was a new customer, they had to enter my info into their system. They knew I had a problem with the radio, that's why I was returning it. Even if by some chance this is a different radio that miraculously has all the same problems and markings as the one I returned, they should have checked it to make sure it functioned properly before they shipped it out. Considering he pulled it out of another box and had it in his hand why didn't he put the battery in it and check to make sure it didn't have the same problem as the one I shipped back? I spoke to the guy that said he replaced it a few hours before he shipped it out. He wanted to know what the problem was with the first one. Why would he not check the replacement?

I'll shop anyplace else before I go back there, even if it costs me a little more. I will make sure they know this before I leave the shop as well. **** poor handling of a new customer IMO.

When you go in ask for Roger. He is a great guy. Make sure you let him know you had an issue.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I have had one good experience and one bad experience. Most my radios are from HRO now. Crazy fast on getting the product out the door, and good comms through the whole process.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    When you go in ask for Roger. He is a great guy. Make sure you let him know you had an issue.

:yesway:
    I may be going down Friday instead of Monday. I'm supposed to pick up a couple boxes of CQ magazines that someone was going to throw out. They are about a third of the way to Hamilton anyway, it'd save some miles.

I have had one good experience and one bad experience. Most my radios are from HRO now. Crazy fast on getting the product out the door, and good comms through the whole process.

HRO is on the list to try, as well as Universal Radio & MTC. I'll probably place a small order from each one to see how they do before I place any large or expensive orders. There aren't a ton of dedicated ham stores, Amazon is lacking and they don't have anyone to talk with if I have questions beforehand, evilBay is completely out of the question.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Small update. I'm not going to bother with them. It's not worth the fuel or the time to drive down there for this little radio. If it was something more expensive them I certainly would. I have a friend that was thrilled to get it for a spare radio. I sent them an email asking them to go ahead and remove me from their system. I won't be a customer in the future.

Now to find a new store.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    You can most likely fix that display yourself. The usual issues are loss of contact between the display and board. The fact that is is a row out kind of confirms that.

The LCD is usually connected to the board with a pressure strip. They usually are held in by a bezel. Sometimes there are screws that hold the bezel, a lot of the time is it metal tabs on a metal shell. Bend the tabs or remove the screws. Wipe the board and the display with a dry Qtip. Do not use any cleaner. It can ruin the rubber pressure strip. Put it back together and make sure the display is pushed fairly tight against the contact strip.

Yes, I use to make a living fixing this stuff.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    I've only used them a couple times, no issue. DXE is the gold standard far as I am concerned. I've had them call me at 9ish on Friday night to clarify something so they could ship my order....that night. Technical email queries answered in minutes.

Top Bottom