• ...and so much more!
  • SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    An American astronaut and a Russian cosmonaut returned safely to Earth Thursday after a Russian booster rocket carrying them to the International Space Station failed shortly after launch.
    NASA astronaut Nick Hague and Roscosmos’ Alexey Ovchinin lifted off in Kazakhstan at around 2:40 p.m. local time from the Russia-leased Baikonur Cosmodrome atop a Soyuz booster rocket.

The pair was set to dock at the orbiting outpost six hours after launch, but the booster rocket failed minutes after launch.

https://www.foxnews.com/science/us-russia-space-crew-aborts-mission-after-booster-failure

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Article I read said they came in at a steeper than normal angle. Not sure what they're talking about unless it was very windy. The video showed them being carried off on some sort of chair stretcher smiling and waving.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I always feel a sense of national shame that we have to rely upon the russkies to get our pansy arse behinds into space.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I always feel a sense of national shame that we have to rely upon the russkies to get our pansy arse behinds into space.

I toured the Kennedy Space Center yesterday, and supposedly that's about done. We'll be self-reliant once again soon and are well on our way to putting astronauts on asteroids and Mars. This is the second time I've toured a NASA facility, and this time we did the "Lunch with an Astronaut" event. I have found both visits to be extremely inspiring and fascinating.

But why, some say, the Moon? Why choose this as our goal? And they may well ask, why climb the highest mountain? Why, 35 years ago, fly the Atlantic? Why does Rice play Texas?

We choose to go to the Moon! We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard; because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one we intend to win, and the others, too.
    - JFK

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    Agreed. Fortunately that time is rapidly coming to an end.

Good thing, because the post-mortem on why the Soyuz booster failed means as of today there is no ability to launch anyone until they understand what went wrong and get it fixed. Cargo to orbit - yes, people - nope. Always thought it was a bad idea to have a single source for getting people to orbit.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I am amazed there are not more accidents for something so dangerous and complex. I always figured the Space Race was simply a politically acceptable way to test nuclear rocket technology as compared to what Little Kim does in Korea. Even during the Cold War the world image of the superpowers mattered.

I toured the Kennedy Space Center yesterday

Awe inspiring tour. Amazing how tiny those capsules were on top of those huge rockets full of explosives. Not sure how the astronauts were able to get their massive pairs inside.

Memorable quote:
    Like Bolting A Butterfly To A Bullet

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Touring NASA was more of a treat for me than it was for my kids when we went there several years ago. Being a child of the 60's it was such an important part of my childhood.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Article I read said they came in at a steeper than normal angle. Not sure what they're talking about unless it was very windy. The video showed them being carried off on some sort of chair stretcher smiling and waving.

Don't know how high they were when the abort happened, but the steeper the re-entry angle, the higher the G force in the capsule.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I toured the Kennedy Space Center yesterday, and supposedly that's about done. We'll be self-reliant once again soon and are well on our way to putting astronauts on asteroids and Mars. This is the second time I've toured a NASA facility, and this time we did the "Lunch with an Astronaut" event. I have found both visits to be extremely inspiring and fascinating.

- JFK

Wave hello to my cousin Tim while you're there!

Top Bottom