• ...and so much more!
  • Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    I know Indiana has a 7% sales tax on cars, but it appears there is a maximum that Indiana charges? My searches brings up conflicting information, and I could be totally wrong here. I keep seeing something about $375.

I would appreciate anyone setting me straight!

Thanks!

Ron

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Never heard of a maximum. 7% = 7% and they'll take sales tax on the same item again and again and again and again and again and again and again.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yup, just bought a '17 GMC. . . . you'll need to add a zero to your "maximum" to pay the sales tax on that one!:noway:

I have been looking at some newer used trucks lately and have found some nice deals but damnit....when you ad up the taxes/plates etc I think I will just keep rolling the 2 I have.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I have been looking at some newer used trucks lately and have found some nice deals but damnit....when you ad up the taxes/plates etc I think I will just keep rolling the 2 I have.

Man I hear ya! It took me a year and a half to pull the trigger and I was pretty much sleepless about it for a week after the purchase. It's stupid what they cost now but I didn't want to fight the diesel thru another winter and with all of the electronics on them now I wanted the full warranty on what is likely my last major purchase. No way in hell I'm buying in this price range ever again!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Man I hear ya! It took me a year and a half to pull the trigger and I was pretty much sleepless about it for a week after the purchase. It's stupid what they cost now but I didn't want to fight the diesel thru another winter and with all of the electronics on them now I wanted the full warranty on what is likely my last major purchase. No way in hell I'm buying in this price range ever again!

I looked at some new stuff and near had to be Medivaced off the lot. Holy Mother of all that is Holy.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I looked at some new stuff and near had to be Medivaced off the lot. Holy Mother of all that is Holy.

If a guy goes crazy with the options, you can build yourself pert'near a $100k 3500 Denali.

And you can build yourself a $100k Jeep, too, without much effort.

I subscribe to Motor Trend. In the most recent issue I read, in their "fleet", they have a new F150. Not even a full 4-door SuperCrew. It's the 2 and "not quite 2 more" SuperCab version. They said that their sticker price on it was $57k. Unbelievable.

And people buy $50k+ trucks all day long. And are in debt up to their earlobes because of it.

While my wife and I technically "can" afford a $50k vehicle - it'd be asinine to do so.

Personally, I wish banks would have a rule that you'd have to put 50% down before they'd give people a loan on such expensive things, but I guess people should be free to severely hamstring themselves with all the debt they want.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    If a guy goes crazy with the options, you can build yourself pert'near a $100k 3500 Denali.

And you can build yourself a $100k Jeep, too, without much effort.

I subscribe to Motor Trend. In the most recent issue I read, in their "fleet", they have a new F150. Not even a full 4-door SuperCrew. It's the 2 and "not quite 2 more" SuperCab version. They said that their sticker price on it was $57k. Unbelievable.

And people buy $50k+ trucks all day long. And are in debt up to their earlobes because of it.

While my wife and I technically "can" afford a $50k vehicle - it'd be asinine to do so.

Personally, I wish banks would have a rule that you'd have to put 50% down before they'd give people a loan on such expensive things, but I guess people should be free to severely hamstring themselves with all the debt they want.

I hear ya brudda! I put down a pretty healthy down and it was still head swirling thinking about it.

I want a new Silverado.

Go price one, you'll get over it. Funny thing in my search I was really lusting after a new ford, skillman at least had the nuts to say it straight up, "we sell the number 1 selling vehicle in the country, we don't deal". All the other ford dealers used bait and switch and double talk to say the same thing. My issue is I wanted specific options and nobody wanted to look beyond the edges of their own lot. Ended up finding my truck with my options only it has a GMC badge on it.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I hear ya brudda! I put down a pretty healthy down and it was still head swirling thinking about it.

Go price one, you'll get over it. Funny thing in my search I was really lusting after a new ford, skillman at least had the nuts to say it straight up, "we sell the number 1 selling vehicle in the country, we don't deal". All the other ford dealers used bait and switch and double talk to say the same thing. My issue is I wanted specific options and nobody wanted to look beyond the edges of their own lot. Ended up finding my truck with my options only it has a GMC badge on it.

Oh I have priced them. I’ll never buy a brand new vehicle. A few months ago, we bought a 2015 Jeep Wrangler. We were lucky when we found this one, it was at a great price, and the dealer actually worked with us. But I hope we don’t have to buy another vehicle for a good while. I hate the whole process.

Htrailblazer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Franklin
    Pricing on the Fords was insane. I guess that's why they can give 10k off at the end of the model year. Major reason I bought a Toyota, had all the options I wanted and was 10k less than the ford before negotiating. Love my truck so far.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Pricing on the Fords was insane. I guess that's why they can give 10k off at the end of the model year. Major reason I bought a Toyota, had all the options I wanted and was 10k less than the ford before negotiating. Love my truck so far.

To illustrate how overpriced they are; I was actually looking at Canadian ford dealers and found the truck I wanted, options, color, everything was a perfect match. The sticker price was identical to the same truck in Milwaukee. This is interesting because it was in Canadian dollars and with the exchange rate it was 10-15k cheaper than the same truck here. Even adding in the 2% duty at the border it was a buttload of savings. Unfortunately they called back the next day and said it had sold.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Oh I have priced them. I’ll never buy a brand new vehicle. A few months ago, we bought a 2015 Jeep Wrangler. We were lucky when we found this one, it was at a great price, and the dealer actually worked with us. But I hope we don’t have to buy another vehicle for a good while. I hate the whole process.

I am looking personal owner dales used. Done with the stealerships. 14 or a 15 will work. Has to be a full cab 4 door. Also 4WD.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I'm looking for the same thing. Used market is high too though really.

Trucks are too popular with people who don't really need them for truck things but want them because they can "see better" or some such nonsense :)

I am looking personal owner dales used. Done with the stealerships. 14 or a 15 will work. Has to be a full cab 4 door. Also 4WD.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Yes, 7% it is, and like a KFC buffet, there is no limit. :laugh:

I just recently finished a profoundly successful pre-owned car hunt. Took me damn near two weeks to find one:

1. That I could afford
    2. That didn't have a leaking <fill in blank>
    3. That didn't have a rusted out frame (and I mean perforated, not surface rust)

I can tell you I literally visited 6-7 dealerships (not including the web browsing on others) -- big name ones, not a mom and pop's corner lot -- and you would not believe the absolute JUNK some of them have available. I understand "as-is" at a certain price point, but mama mia, these dealerships still need to retain some dignity!

One west side dealer, "Yes, this vehicle passed our thorough safety inspection..." -- but when I got under it in the lot (they didn't expect that...) I found a hole I could put three fingers through in the frame on a $10K vehicle. IMHO, $10K car should get someone a solid daily driver without too much screening. Another vehicle, north side dealer along 96th, nice salesman, high rated dealership, car rode like a dream -- HVAC all ****ed up and literally missing a button for fan control on the dash. How does a dealer of brand X offer a brand X used car WITHOUT A ****ING FAN CONTROL BUTTON ON THE DASH? Like they couldn't have hit the parts department up for a $10 button on one of the most important things people see on a car? I mean, OK, leave a leaky CV boot since nobody but the fanatics are going under there, but a damn dash button...same dealer also failed to clean out the 5-6 cigarette butts in the ash tray. I know margins are tight but **** man, even a basic detail job should have caught that.

Happily, and not everyone has the time and opportunity (fanaticism?) to do this, but I was able to spend 4-5 hours a day for over a week researching dealer sites and used car aggregate sites/apps, YouTube videos, CARFAX reports, etc. until I found a car better than I was actually looking for (in brand prestige and maintenance history) at a price below $10K.

I am not sure how younger people, just starting out, without a big check from mom and dad or **** tons of time on their hands, can get a reliable set of wheels these days. Sad for our young people when such a basic necessity in our society is so difficult to identify and acquire. No wonder they are voting for Bernie! :laugh:

Top Bottom