• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    What's the protocol when a merchant discovers funny money? Just stopped for lunch and in the next line a girl passed a bogus C note. The cashier and manager both checked it and then handed it back telling her they couldn't take it. She just shrugged and handed them 2 dollars she had in her hand the whole time to pay for the two dollar purchase.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Oh not this time, they scanned it through some type of machine several times, checked for the strip, watermark etc and said quite plainly "This bill is fake we won't take it".

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm guessing law enforcement would probably have liked being notified if they could have stalled her (but I don't know if they could stall her that long). I don't know if they could have legally confiscated it and then called the cops or not.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I'm guessing law enforcement would probably have liked being notified if they could have stalled her (but I don't know if they could stall her that long). I don't know if they could have legally confiscated it and then called the cops or not.
    The bank will confiscate it and notify LE, I was given a fake $10 once and went to deposit it, and had to wait to be interviewed by local police telling them I got it from a customer at the bar. I’m out $10, and the product purchased. It was a pretty good fake, but if you took the time, you could tell.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Real on bottom, Fake I caught on top.

vkjdFry.jpg

It was a washed $1 printed with $20.

I told the customer it was a fake and I wrote VOID FAKE across the front of it.
    They claimed ignorance and said they got it "at the store" but couldn't remember where.
    I told them to take it to the bank/cops etc.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

vkjdFry.jpg

They claimed ignorance and said they got it "at the store" but couldn't remember where.

I was reading about this some time back, it seems that the special pens they use are no longer trustworthy for this very reason. They bleach out a low denomination and reprint it as a higher value bill. The pen recognizes the paper as legit so now they're going to scanners.

With her having the correct change in one hand I lean towards she knew what she was doing but didn't seem to care one way or the other. She walked out with it so I'm sure she'll use it somewhere else successfully.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Yeah, should have called the cops and kept the bill.

If it's really a legit issue, they'll hang around hoping to get some proof to back to their bank. Won't happen, but they'll stay.
    When they run, it's obvious who the crooks are.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Yeah, should have called the cops and kept the bill.

If it's really a legit issue, they'll hang around hoping to get some proof to back to their bank. Won't happen, but they'll stay.
    When they run, it's obvious who the crooks are.

That's why I used a new sharpie and wrote all over it.
    I didn't get stuck with it and they won't get a second chance to pass it.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009

vkjdFry.jpg

I assume with the screen name "printcraft" you're in the printing business (like I am), one time I had to make the deposit and the bank teller looked at a 5 dollar bill said "i'll be right back"...few seconds later she came back and said "the manager said its not counterfeit, we can take it" to which I replied "look at the deposit slip, do you see where its from?...if I wanted to print funny money, you or your manager wouldn't be able to tell the difference!"

that was 25 years ago, counterfeiting was a lot easier back then! but to the original photo, how stupid is society when someone try's to pass counterfeit money at a print shop!

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    I always thought the Secret Service handled counterfeiting, not local law enforcement?

we confiscate between $50-$200 almost every month. Everything from $5-$100 dollar bills. Our company policy is to confiscate, but not put yourself or other staff at risk to do so.

If a customer INSISTS that they want their bills back, I write FAKE across the front and back so it can not be used elsewhere. If that sets them off I tell them they are welcome to call the police and they can come settle it. It rarely comes to that.

We have law enforcement in our establishment regularly, I am always told to take it to the bank, they will deal with it. I usually just destroy it. I don't take our deposits to the bank, Garda picks up for us.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    .....that was 25 years ago, counterfeiting was a lot easier back then! but to the original photo, how stupid is society when someone try's to pass counterfeit money at a print shop!

The first thing I do when someone hands me a piece of paper is feel the stock to know what they want it printed on. I just do that with pretty much everything. It felt weird even though it was real currency paper, they must have damaged it stripping the ink.
    Then of course there are HUGE differences in printing between press ink, inkjet and laser print. The one I had looked like inkjet.

I assume with the screen name "printcraft" you're in the printing business (like I am), ......

Yep! Quality Printing Since 1958! :D

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    If she was paying for a $2 purchase with a fake $100 you can about be assured she knew it was fake and trying to change it for real cash. That’s how it works.
    They never should have gave it back to her, she’s just going to try and pass it elsewhere.

If you get stuck with fake money you are on the hook for it.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    USSS investigates these. Local PD will pick them up, take them to property room, then the USSS gets them from there. They enter the SN of the bill to see if they have confiscated more of the same SN.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    The first thing I do when someone hands me a piece of paper is feel the stock to know what they want it printed on. I just do that with pretty much everything. It felt weird even though it was real currency paper, they must have damaged it stripping the ink.
    Then of course there are HUGE differences in printing between press ink, inkjet and laser print. The one I had looked like inkjet.

wow ive been in the field for 36 years, next month will be 32 years at my job, plus 4 years in high school (2 of those I was in vocational printing 3-1 hour long classes a day), congrats on working in a field that's dying faster than great great grandma Gertie in the nursing home!

USSS investigates these. Local PD will pick them up, take them to property room, then the USSS gets them from there. They enter the SN of the bill to see if they have confiscated more of the same SN.

a few years ago some idiot radio dj was on air saying how he "made a copy" of a dollar bill on his home printer and "the coke machine at the station took it", I called the station radio line and talked to them and told them that they better stop talking about it, and that I was personally offended that they were talking about breaking federal law, and that that could land them in federal prison, you know the kind of jail where you end up playing husband and wife, and you're the wife!, and that I worked in the printing business, and have talked to the local secret service agent (yes even Evansville has at least one), and that he seemed like a nice person, but that I was talking to him before I had "cuffs slapped on" and that I bet he wasn't near as nice "after the cuff were on!"...they stopped talking about it right away, personally I feel counterfeiters are about 3 up from the bottom of the worst kind of criminals!
    #1 child rapists
    #2 murders
    #3 counterfeiters (that's because they're using my trade to commit crime, denny #3 for you might be crocked police officers cause they're using your trade)

the next day, there was an article on the front page of the newspaper about the secret service paying a "visit to a local radio station!"

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009

printcraft, got to get to work now, got 33000 17x22 that have to be quarter folded to 8.5x11 and delivered today (and they're still on press being printed)

ah the life of a pressman/bindery/estimator/office worker/guy who does everything in the shop!...oh god, I'm getting too old for this $h*t!

Top Bottom