• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Are you wanting to buy or build? What do you like about mechanical keyboards? Do you want long/short travel clicky or quiet? Etc etc.

Of you jump over to Reddit you will find more info than you need.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/

Be sure to check out the side bar to the right that has a wiki and tons of links.

Personally I'm working on a side project that will use one switch and I want it to be as clicky as possible so I'm going with an mx cherry green.

If that link is a bit overwhelming and you have specific questions you can ask here and I'll do my best to answer.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Because of their “uniqueness”, most mechanical boards can be/are built with quality components due to the increased sell price. Most mechanical switches used by the current manufactures are rated to 15,000,000 actuations, compared to the 1-3 million from your typical rubber-dome switches.

But if you are looking at specs, Cherry and Roccat used to be big names for the switches.

I think a good mechanical keyboard used to run $150-200. It’s been a loooong time since I used a keyboard enough to care.

Good luck!

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I'm looking into mechanical keyboards, particularly ergonomic ones. I'm just not sure where to start with switches and things like that.

Well....
    Each press of a key makes a sound. Each key has a different note.
    They have books you can buy for this.

Q3xARls.png

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    Are you wanting to buy or build? What do you like about mechanical keyboards? Do you want long/short travel clicky or quiet? Etc etc.

Of you jump over to Reddit you will find more info than you need.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/

Be sure to check out the side bar to the right that has a wiki and tons of links.

Personally I'm working on a side project that will use one switch and I want it to be as clicky as possible so I'm going with an mx cherry green.

If that link is a bit overwhelming and you have specific questions you can ask here and I'll do my best to answer.

Ahhhhhhhh....sorry. It is very overwhelming. I was planning on buying, because I don't want to solder anything. I'm not sure on travel. I just hear that mechanical is better if you are typing all day. I work in an office, so not awfully clicky is good, but I think I would like some click.

Thanks for the link, I'll dig on on that.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If you're looking to know what sort of "feel" you want, you can get test switches:

https://www.amazon.com/WASD-6-Key-C...pID=41bdGDPmEPL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Though I'm not sure I'd want to spend $15 just to figure out what sort of KB to get. I mostly watched YT videos comparing the switches when I made my choice.

I went with a Corsair K70 Lux RGB with Cherry MX Browns. They were a good balance between gaming responsiveness and general typing.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Ok, so what I would do in your described situation is this.

Watch this video. Probably with headphones for better sound.

https://youtu.be/L-xfY66-EsA

Then decide on the switch you like best.

So let's say you decide that cherry blues are your favorite.

Google:. Mx cherry blue keyboard. Then take your pick.

Top Bottom