• ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    IMPD officer shoots suspect after traffic stop, struggle over weapon on east side

Officers were called to the 9900 block of East 16th Street, near Mitthoeffer Road, just after 12:30 p.m. on a report of shots fired.

IMPD said the incident started as a traffic stop. Less than 10 minutes later, a shot had been fired.

Deputy Chief Chris Bailey said the driver of the car was acting evasive. The officers asked him to step out of the car, and they reportedly saw a weapon. There was a struggle between the suspect and the officer, which led to an officer using a Taser.

Bailey said that was ineffective, and the struggle over the weapon continued. One of the officers fired his gun, striking the suspect. IMPD does not believe the suspect fired any shots, but a weapon reportedly belonging to the suspect was found.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

It sounds like the IMPD did what they had to do. Don't reach for a weapon during a Police stop, that's a good way to avoid being shot.

Edit: I am waiting for the Paul Harvey (rest of the story) on the type of weapon the evasive/weapon grabbing guy who got shot had. My concern is in the wake of the Aaron Bailey fiasco non-lethal weapons will be used when a firearm would be needed since no one wants to go through what those two Officers went through.

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    One report said that the officer involved has a dad "in law enforcement."

Curious to see if we'll recognize the name.

My heart does go out to the officer and his family. Tough day, to go through something like that.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    One report said that the officer involved has a dad "in law enforcement."

Curious to see if we'll recognize the name.

My heart does go out to the officer and his family. Tough day, to go through something like that.

You may or may not recognize the last name, it's not that recognizable to those outside of IMPD. I was outside painting the trim of my house when I heard gunshots. They sounded rather close then I heard lots of sirens. Grabbed the radio and learned it was an officer involved shooting.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Another officer-involved shooting last night - 30th and Post area. 2 suspects still at large. Just watching it on WTHR this morning so don't have a link. No injuries to the officers (thank goodness) and I don't believe either suspect was hit, but that's not confirmed.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    The first one was E 16th and Mitthoeffer and the second was 30th and Post. Two officer-involved shootings in one day is a lot, even on the east-side.

One of the officers returned fire. IMPD said no one was hit during the exchange, which happened around 11 p.m. at the Cheswick Apartments near 30th Street and Post Road. Officers were initially dispatched there for a reported disturbance involving a group of seven to 10 people. When officers arrived, two men started walking away and wouldn’t stop when police ordered them to do so.

“Those two suspects became very belligerent toward the officers,” said Sgt. Jim Gillespie with IMPD. “At one point in time, there were shots fired at officers, one round, then one of the officers had returned fire.”

After the gunfire, the men ran away, prompting a search that involved a helicopter from Indiana State Police, a drone from the Indianapolis Fire Department, IMPD SWAT and IMPD K9. Crews were unable to find the men despite the large search effort.

“Anyone we can locate that knows something, give us a call,” Gillespie said.

https://fox59.com/2018/10/18/impd-investigating-second-officer-involved-shooting-within-24-hours/

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Is it “being evasive” when you ask “am I Being detained” in response to questioning or say “there is nothing illegal inside this vehicle” when asked if you have weapons?

glad my job usually only gets hairy when the person i’m Interacting with is NOT moving, or incapable of doing much

and the quoted portion seems incorrect. The article states it was the passenger causing issues

Last edited:

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Out of curiosity, how much practice shooting does the average LEO officer get? Not trying to be snarkey here, but you hear and read about a lot of missed shots, sometimes at close range, and percentages of hits. I understand the dynamics, and adrenaline, etc... My question is about specifics. Do you just have to 'qualify' periodically, or are there further training requirements, as in scenerio-based drills? I have utmost respect for what LEO's do, so I'm really just curios.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Most agencies qualify annually.
    We qualify twice a year and get additional scenario based training as well as use of force training on the other tools we have at our disposal.
    Getting into a physical fight that turns to gunplay is far outside what any target or competition shooter can normally comprehend.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Out of curiosity, how much practice shooting does the average LEO officer get? Not trying to be snarkey here, but you hear and read about a lot of missed shots, sometimes at close range, and percentages of hits. I understand the dynamics, and adrenaline, etc... My question is about specifics. Do you just have to 'qualify' periodically, or are there further training requirements, as in scenerio-based drills? I have utmost respect for what LEO's do, so I'm really just curios.

The short answer is as much or as little as they want. State mandates only include one qualification per year plus some additional classroom work.. Outside of that, it’s up to the department and/or the officer to get any additional desired training.

The story is much the same with all of the other officer-related disciplines. The mandates are not enough to fully equip most officers to deal with the variety of situations encountered during the course of their expected duties. Training to the (seeming) performance expectations of the public in all areas of assigned duties would require an officer to spend darn near an equal ratio of training to work time.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Getting into a physical fight that turns to gunplay is far outside what any target or competition shooter can normally comprehend.

But...but...muh trigger reset. :):

I visit the east side occasionally, mostly because that's where the Fast Wok is, and the Longhorn usually isn't as busy as the one in Southport. Might start carrying an extra mag.

Hopefully will continue to avoid an impromptu game of Hogan's Alley.

Last edited:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I hope the officers involved in both instances are ok. If someone is trying to hurt a cop I hope they arent breathing anymore. I'll just be that blunt about it. They shouldnt be able to hurt anyone else again nor be a drain on our tax system

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    But...but...muh trigger reset. :):

I visit the east side occasionally, mostly because that's where the Fast Wok is, and the Longhorn usually isn't as busy as the one in Southport. Might start carrying an extra mag.

Hopefully will continue to avoid an impromptu game of Hogan's Alley.

Trust me the east side isn't the only place you may want a spare mag...pretty much anywhere in Marion County. I have lived on the east side for 40 yrs. Like anywhere else for the most part, if you mind your own business, don't act like a douche and stay out of criminal activity then you probably won't have any trouble

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Trust me the east side isn't the only place you may want a spare mag...pretty much anywhere in Marion County. I have lived on the east side for 40 yrs. Like anywhere else for the most part, if you mind your own business, don't act like a douche and stay out of criminal activity then you probably won't have any trouble
    Mind your own business, don't be a DB and/or a criminal. Solid rules to live by.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

Oh, I know. I've lived in Indy since '95.

I'll still maintain that you're way more likely to need a spare mag on east Washington Street than you are rolling through Wanamaker.

:twocents:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis

I'll still maintain that you're way more likely to need a spare mag on east Washington Street than you are rolling through Wanamaker.

I would contend that while the odds might be higher, that's probably mostly accounted for by E. Washington St being more populated. The mopes of the city are mobile, and more & more taking the issues that follow them to areas once thought to be safer

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I hope the officers involved in both instances are ok. If someone is trying to hurt a cop I hope they arent breathing anymore. I'll just be that blunt about it. They shouldnt be able to hurt anyone else again nor be a drain on our tax system

+10. Can not rep you again. Odd as I have an unlimited Mag of rep.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Truth here bit there are a lot of areas far worse I can tell you personal experience.
    Time of day is a difference maker.

Top Bottom