• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    First, I am the dummy, not any of the dogs.

I have always had dogs, mostly hunting dogs, labs, beagles, bassets, springer spaniels, etc. I have always trained them myself. I have a situation now that I am at loss for a solution.

We currently have three dogs. A 7 year old, 110 pound lab/mastiff and a pair of 4 year old, 15 pound Jack Russells that are litter mates. These three get along well. They are well behaved in the house, follow commands, etc. They are contained in our yard by an invisible fence system. Outdoors, the two Jacks are OK, until something they feel the need to kill comes along. That is anything on 4 legs, and most things on two. I have never discouraged this behavior. We live on a farm. With livestock and livestock feed, we get critters that need killin. Uninvited two legged visitors who cross the invisible fence boundary and ignore the "beware of dog" sign deserve whatever lower leg injury they might get.

My daughter is married to a Marine who is currently deployed, so she asked to move back in with us. No problem with that. The problem is her 9 pound, 10 month old, golden/labra/Irish/cockerdoddle, Dani.

Dani is an awesome puppy. I drove 29 hours in a car with the mutt and she is as well behaved as any dog I ever been around. I expected some "issues" with our dogs taking to a new pack member, but it's goin worse than I ever imagined.

Our big dog, Zeus, loves Dani. Loves to play with her, a little roughly, but nothing bad. The two Jacks however want her DEAD. I have seen them kill groundhogs in a matter of seconds. If they get a hold of Dani, she's toast. When we bring them near her and they go into KILL mode, and our big dog becomes aggressive towards them. It's been a horrible s**t show at our house since Labor Day when Dani came to our house.

The ONLY way for the Jacks to be anywhere near her is muzzled, which they of course HATE.

Clarice... Meet Dr Hannibal Lecter...

CPvfCue.jpg

I can let them in the house with her if I'm holding her in my chair. But if she wiggles free and hits the floor, it's on.

Any expert or even semi-pro advice?

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    If they are still bothering her with muzzles on? Get a spray bottle full of water. Blast them when they get near her. If they start learning to avoid her you could try short periods of time with muzzles off. But have the bottle ready.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    If they are still bothering her with muzzles on? Get a spray bottle full of water. Blast them when they get near her. If they start learning to avoid her you could try short periods of time with muzzles off. But have the bottle ready.

They mostly try to ignore her when muzzled. Unless she approaches, then darts away. Then they'll try to chase her.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    You need to become the Alpha in your household... The dogs have the con.

I'd have to agree. I've been around Jack Russells and understand how challenging they can be (like most small dogs). I'm no dog whisperer and have one who continues to try me from time to time after three years of living with us. I never let her win and I have more energy than she has tolerance for punishment so although we still have our disagreements they are becoming few and far between and she's always the one to apologize. If you are the pack leader and they know it they'll bend to your will. Jack's aren't stupid dogs but you'll have your hands full with a pair of siblings feeding off one another.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    It's late now. But when I've introduced a new dog to the house, I've taken the dog(s) to the park. Then have someone bring the new dog.
    the dogs are more likely to make friends on neutral turf. Not always, just more likely.
    Then after they've played, bring them home.

Oh, of course dogs were leashed, and watched for aggressive behavior.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Best of luck, I grew up agricultural and never figured out animal psychology as it always seemed to change at unexpected times.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    This may be related to pack mentality. The JRs are bros and braver when together. They are offended by an intruder on their turf. Just an observation without any useful advice since you can't get rid of one of them.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    If you are the pack leader and they know it they'll bend to your will. Jack's aren't stupid dogs but you'll have your hands full with a pair of siblings feeding off one another.

I think the siblings feeding off each other is the biggest thing I'm fighting. I can generally bend them to my will, but like human siblings trying to get the last word in, one of them will always take one last bite out of something or give an extra shake when I tell them to drop it. It's my own fault for not demanding 100% compliance. I'd say we're in the high 90s, far better than ever I achieved with my kids:rolleyes:, but those last few percent is enough to get my daughter's mutt killed.

It's late now. But when I've introduced a new dog to the house, I've taken the dog(s) to the park. Then have someone bring the new dog.
    the dogs are more likely to make friends on neutral turf. Not always, just more likely...

That's basically what we did. Had my daughter walk her dog around my mom and dad's yard, then take her inside. Then brought our dogs over and let them sniff around. Took our dogs and put them in the garage, brought the daughter's mutt back out, and then got our dogs one at a time. We brought the big one out first, as I expected no trouble with him. A few butt sniffs later, they were BFFs. Put the big guy away and brought the Jacks out, one at a time. Started with the one that's generally less aggressive, Charlie. I could tell right away we were in trouble. He clearly viewed her as prey. With him on a leash, I could get his attention off her and onto me, but he just sat and shook. He would turn his body completely around to avoid eye contact her. Then we brought out Pete. Pete is the smaller of the two, but the one with the most prey drive I've ever seen in a dog. I have seen him root through a wood pile chasing rats to the point complete exhaustion where he just collapses and lays there panting. Pete didn't immediately want to kill her. They sniffed each other out, Pete growled a little, I told him no, he stopped, and didn't go after her. We walked them around close to each other and he seemed OK. I decided to let him off his leash. The first time Dani made a sudden, darting move, Pete was after her. I still had her on a short leash attached to a harness. I jerked her right off the ground and caught her before just before Pete could grab her. Pete is also the smarter of the two. I suspect he knew that he could play nice when on a leash and bide his time until he got a shot her.

We did have a small victory last night. I grabbed Dani and sat down on our love seat and called Pete to sit down on my other side. We sat there a while without incident. Pete kept scooting closer until his head was on my lap. I suddenly thought, I should be wearing a cup for this s**t.:n00b: Dani scooted closer to him and they sniffed each other out. She finally licked him right across the nose. This startled him, but he didn't react aggressively. They both laid back down and chilled.

Top Bottom