US Police officers charged w/ over 400 rapes that occurred over a 9 year period.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    US Police officers charged w/ over 400 rapes that occurred over a 9 year period.

According to research from Bowling Green State University, police officers in the US were charged with forcible rape 405 times between 2005 and 2013. That's an average of 45 a year. Forcible fondling was more common, with 636 instances.

Yet experts say those statistics are, by no means, comprehensive. Data on sexual assaults by police are almost nonexistent, they say.

"It's just not available at all," said Jonathan Blanks, a research associate with the Cato Institute's Project on Criminal Justice. "You can only crowdsource this info."

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Only 45 a year? (Of course, any sexual assault by a police officer is bad.)

Across a profession with hundreds of thousands of participants? Without any apparent differentiation between on-the-job or off-duty? (To me, off duty just means the guy could be a creep.)

This seems like a very artificial study... to what end?

(Yeah, rhetorical question.)

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Only 45 a year? (Of course, any sexual assault by a police officer is bad.)

Across a profession with hundreds of thousands of participants? Without any apparent differentiation between on-the-job or off-duty? (To me, off duty just means the guy could be a creep.)

This seems like a very artificial study... to what end?

(Yeah, rhetorical question.)

I saw a lot of people comparing it to the regular population... but I don't think that's fair to do. You would hope people in the LEO profession could be held to a higher standard when it comes to things like this. And the number that go unpunished is probably embarrassingly high.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I have interacted with police about 50% of the days in the past 17 years. Never once have I been (forcibly) fondled by them

Last edited:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The data collection, they admit, has flaws... but I'd be curious to know more about demographics and locations. Really not a lot of detail, and they imply the numbers are probably higher due to the voluntary nature of the collection.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I am sure there are always a few bad apples in any bunch but I have always believed that law enforcement is subject to extremely high standards. It seems that false accusations against police would occur at a higher rate than most any other job except perhaps TSA due to the people they are forced to interact with and the retaliation that would be commonly sought against them.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I am sure there are always a few bad apples in any bunch but I have always believed that law enforcement is subject to extremely high standards. It seems that false accusations against police would occur at a higher rate than most any other job except perhaps TSA due to the people they are forced to interact with and the retaliation that would be commonly sought against them.

Definitely. We've seen stories just in the last year or two of women falsely accusing officers they've interacted with of sexual abuse or rape. Thankfully, there was evidence to show it was a lie.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    The data collection, they admit, has flaws... but I'd be curious to know more about demographics and locations. Really not a lot of detail, and they imply the numbers are probably higher due to the voluntary nature of the collection.

how many of these are within an existing relationship? And what is the definition? Some people define regrettable consensual intercourse as rape

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I paid for next day shipping

kxs8m.jpg

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%