• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Our power went off around 3 p.m. yesterday but was restored about 7. I broke out a battery and power inverter to fire up the tv and internet. I was starting to get nervous with 3 grandkids with tablets whose batteries were starting to run down. :nailbite:

ryanbr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Logansport
    We were lucky and didn't loose power. I'm Glad that work on the south side didn't either. Its a real ***** when we loose power and the process goes down, besides who wants to have to work hard when your in on a Sunday on overtime!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Our power went off around 3 p.m. yesterday but was restored about 7. I broke out a battery and power inverter to fire up the tv and internet. I was starting to get nervous with 3 grandkids with tablets whose batteries were starting to run down. :nailbite:

I recommend lanterns and board games.
    Maybe some chemlights, let them run around with the chemlights.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I recommend lanterns and board games.
    Maybe some chemlights, let them run around with the chemlights.

I got some of the camping lights out but other than our half bath, it was still light enough to see, so we didn't need to use them (I also had one lamp plugged in to the power inverter). They did start to play a board game, but that lasted about 10 minutes. Fortunately the kids' batteries ran down about the same time as the tablets', so they went to bed. :):

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Did y’all get storms up there? It was pretty windy down here yesterday, but aside from that, it was a beautiful day.

I was in Chicago for a deposition all day Saturday. Rolled back into Lafayette at 8PM. House was dark, said screw it and went to LBC for dinner with a buddy.

Came home about 10PM and got back up system powered up. A little chilly last night but I survived.

Still no power here at Stately Freeman Manner. City is now saying Monday at 6PM.

Greatest loss: pound of bacon from D&R just went into the rubbish, but my fridge is nice and clean!:D

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    It hit hard here in N Indy/Carmel too. We lost power at 6 pm yesterday and it took 18 hours to get it back.

My wife didn't feel like taking chances and we emptied the fridge and freezer, but our little second freezer stayed frozen. We didn't loose much of value except a 3lb chub of burger, it was mostly leftovers, broths, dressings, and half bags of frozen stuff.

This is the first time since I moved here as a kid that I can remember a power outage longer than 8 hours... some of my near-neighbors won't see power until tomorrow morning or later.

Last edited:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    My wife had nothing better to do than stream hours & hours of Netflix on her cell phone. She was running low on battery!!! I wisely did not say anything and quietly handed her my external battery pack (I'm safe thanks). I'm on a limited data plan too so may need some financial assistance! I take Paypal. Thx!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I fared o.k. on Saturday. No damage at all.
    Last night I was standing at the kitchen counter throwing together a pot of venison spaghetti when the lights started flashing and I heard the distinct sound of electrical arcing.
    The sound got louder and the lights dimmed more and more.
    I thought my house was catching fire.

I opened the back door to check my meter (just outside the kitchen) to find a limb had come down out of the neighbors tree and bridged from the tree to the wires.
    The arcing continued for minutes. It seemed like hours and scared the crap out of me.
    It finally overheated the wire. It burned in half and dropped to the ground dropping the branch to the ground and breaking the arc, but now my power was out.

It was finally restored about 11:45pm, but not before I had lost my pot of spaghetti.
    I did get my meal out of it, but I didn't want to put a hot pot in a fridge that was not running at the time.
    I didn't want to take the chance of heating up the inside of the fridge, so the dogs got a major treat.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Back back in my 'hood at 4AM Monday 10/22.

Great lesson learned on this. Have shopping list from this experience.*

*not that I suffered. I mean last night I had Buck Creek pizza by a bonfire and then watched a movie on a big screen 4K television.

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    Just west of West Lafayette, lost power for 3 hours so no big deal. Picked up a few wheel barrow loads of twigs on Sunday. Neighbor a couple blocks away not so lucky, had a large pine come down on the house, 14'x 5' hole in the roof. Now covered with a tarp. Does not look like they are staying in the house right now.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    High winds up here Saturday, but no power outage.

Here's how I deal with a power outage. If it's near lunch time, I go out to lunch. If it's near dinner time, I go out to dinner.

If it's in the uncomfortable heat of summer, I find the least obnoxious movie I can and go to that. If it's not, I spend the daylight hours outside doing something productive- my tractors and chainsaw start fine without 120v AC.

After the sun goes down, after getting back from dinner, it's either reading, early bedtime, or board (or card) games. We always have batteries and kerosene.

In the winter, we can heat the house with the gas fireplace and a kerosene heater. Always have a power outage heating plan.

Water? We have some stored away, both potable and non-potable (eventually, we'll have to flush).

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    We were not home Sat afternoon/evening but was told our power was only out for about 30 min. We did come home to a yard full of sticks and branches. It took me 5 1/2 hrs yesterday to clean up the yard and mow. Luckily no damage though!!

Top Bottom