• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Last Sunday at 7 am my wife taps me on the shoulder telling me of the worst pain she's had (level 10).
    I assumed gallbladder but it ended up being a kidney stone (good size one).
    Took her to the ER and got the scan. She couldn't keep anything down, so when they discharged that am she couldn't take any of the meds for nausea or pain.
    They gave her a choice of surgery but elected for a natural "passing."
    She is a brittle diabetic (with a pump) so sugar levels were a concern (crashing), so the nurse ordered us back to the hospital where she stayed through Tuesday.
    Surgery was an option again, but she elected to not do so yet since she now was able to keep fluids and some food down.
    Pain level at home has been level 3-7.
    It has been a week now, so she's ready for some relief.

On a humorous note, last summer when I was visiting a friend in OH, that evening I felt a little "off" and by bedtime knew I had a problem and by 3am I knew it was a kidney stone.
    I drove 3.5 hours back home to be at my "own" hospital (b/c of insurance and familiarity).
    We had just got back from the same trip this summer on Sat. when that Sunday morning the wife had her "attack."
    I told my friend in OH that he needed a better R/O machine for the water b/c something must be in it giving us kidney stones.

For this weekend, I canceled a car drive in Brown County that I do every year in my car club (S2KCA), where I was going to stay overnight on Friday.
    The wife told me to go, there was nothing I could do. Right. I told her I wanted to stay and watch if her pain level spiked. :dunno:

Since this is a gun site: I have been too distracted and uncharacteristically "down" and haven't tended to any of my gun fun.
    I bought a Bushnell red dot I haven't taken the time to put on a pistol and sight it in, and I finally bought a S/W 41 that I'm wanting to spend time with, but just haven't taken the time to go play when the wife is having issues.

This is why they call it: life.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    My wife had one a year ago or so, and she said that the pain was worse than natural child birth. We went to the ER and they kept her overnight, but she wanted to go home the next afternoon. I can't remember how long it took, but it seems like it was more than a week until she passed the thing. It looked like a watermelon seed, and about the same size.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Dang doddg, that sucks. Sounds like your friend in OH needs to be the traveler next year lol. Hopefully she will continue getting better the next couple days. I too have a diabetic wife (on a pump) and fully understand the concerns when she can't keep anything down and how sensitive her blood sugar can be between highs and lows and how quickly it can change.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I hope your wife feels better soon !! I have never experienced Kidney Stones (thankfully) but I have heard how very unpleasant that can be.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    My wife had one a year ago or so, and she said that the pain was worse than natural child birth. We went to the ER and they kept her overnight, but she wanted to go home the next afternoon. I can't remember how long it took, but it seems like it was more than a week until she passed the thing. It looked like a watermelon seed, and about the same size.

1. "Watermelon seed," that huge for a kidney stone!
    2. I have heard the analogy of childbearing before which scared me when I had mine, but I got off luckier than most it seems.

Dang doddg, that sucks. Sounds like your friend in OH needs to be the traveler next year lol. Hopefully she will continue getting better the next couple days. I too have a diabetic wife (on a pump) and fully understand the concerns when she can't keep anything down and how sensitive her blood sugar can be between highs and lows and how quickly it can change.

3. Yes, that was the scary X factor that first day: I knew we would have to go back to the hospital when they dismissed her.

I hope your wife feels better soon !! I have never experienced Kidney Stones (thankfully) but I have heard how very unpleasant that can be.

4. I hope you never do!

My FIL went through this 1 month ago. MIL took him to the ER on Saturday Morning. Diagnosed with 3 Stones, Urologist blew them up, discharged @ 7:00 PM.

5. Wow! Everything went as textbook: good for her!

6. NEWS: You are not going to believe this! While I was typing this she came in with a plastic bag with a present in it: a stone!
    7. We are hoping there are none others. But, yea!

Ddillard

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 29, 2016
    Jeffersonville
    I feel for you and yours. I have had bouts of kidney stones over the years and they can be unbearable. I'm a grown man that can shed a tear when needed. Earlier this year my wife developed pronounced pains and after 3 days we went to ER only to find out she had several stones, one of which was 1.9 cm (over 1/2 inch I believe). She ended up with surgery and faired well afterwards. She's a tough lady and I don't how she did it, but she is a believer 8n less soda and a lot more water. I hope you wife recoups well. My prayers for you and yours.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    I feel for you and yours. I have had bouts of kidney stones over the years and they can be unbearable. I'm a grown man that can shed a tear when needed. Earlier this year my wife developed pronounced pains and after 3 days we went to ER only to find out she had several stones, one of which was 1.9 cm (over 1/2 inch I believe). She ended up with surgery and faired well afterwards. She's a tough lady and I don't how she did it, but she is a believer 8n less soda and a lot more water. I hope you wife recoups well. My prayers for you and yours.

Dear lord have mercy that's 3/4 of an inch. :chuck::runaway::wow: Yeah that's only coming out through surgery.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My mother has one the size of a marble. Doc is going to go in after it in a few weeks. No thank you very much!

I've not had one, that I know of. Definitely been drinking more water in my old age. :fogey:

Hope y'all pass 'em without too much more discomfort.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Gee Doddg..
    I didn't peg you guys as stoners.

1. Since it wasn't me going through it this time: that's funny!

I have passed a few myself. They kinda hurt. :n00b:

2. I cannot fathom!!

My mother has one the size of a marble. Doc is going to go in after it in a few weeks. No thank you very much!

3. Read #2, ha! Teacher friend at work said her mother had one the size of a walnut and they had to break it up and it took a month for all to pass.
    4. Now that is a "No thank you very much!"

I've not had one, that I know of. Definitely been drinking more water in my old age. :fogey:
    Hope y'all pass 'em without too much more discomfort.

5. Thanks for everyone's sympathy. Hopefully, she is done with it since she brought her present to me in a plastic bag.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Also offering condolences and best wishes for recovery. My wife and I have both dealt with kidney stones for decades. We both have passed them on our own, had them blasted, had them pulled out, and had surgery to remove them - based on size and location. The last stone I had was lodged in my ureter and the urologist said it was best to go up and get it since it was possible it could shut off the flow of urine and cause uremic poisoning or worse.

My urologist now allows me to keep a preventive supply of a few hydrocodone pills in case I suffer an attack. My wife drinks a minimum of a gallon of water a day. I rarely drink water. We’ve probably had an equal number of stones. We’ve had them analyzed for compositi9n to see if a diet change would help. No positive results that suggested a change - just the luck of the draw.

Salty

Unwokeable
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I hadn't seen this either. Never had kidney stones but my wife has a couple of times. I know it's no fun. Glad everything came out OK. :)

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Just as a woman can say each pregnancy is "better" or "worse", so too are kidney stones.

So it's hard to compare them.
    Cause a woman can have an "easy" pregnancy (relatively speaking) and can have a "bad" stone.
    Doesn't necessarily mean the one is worse than the other.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Also offering condolences and best wishes for recovery. My wife and I have both dealt with kidney stones for decades. We both have passed them on our own, had them blasted, had them pulled out, and had surgery to remove them - based on size and location. The last stone I had was lodged in my ureter and the urologist said it was best to go up and get it since it was possible it could shut off the flow of urine and cause uremic poisoning or worse.

My urologist now allows me to keep a preventive supply of a few hydrocodone pills in case I suffer an attack. My wife drinks a minimum of a gallon of water a day. I rarely drink water. We’ve probably had an equal number of stones. We’ve had them analyzed for compositi9n to see if a diet change would help. No positive results that suggested a change - just the luck of the draw. 

I changed my diet, and it made a BIG change.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Best wishes for your wife
    I had to have 3 removed in about 2000. All 3 were a 1/2" in diameter.
    Mine happened on the 4th of july on a Saturday and all the Dr. were away on vacation. I went to the hospital 3 times over the long weekend, they gave me shots of morphine, it was the only thing that eased the pain.
    I had one nurse that dropped the the needle on the floor and was going to stick me with it anyway, luckily my wife was there and stopped her. That was in a Georgia hospital....

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    My urologist now allows me to keep a preventive supply of a few hydrocodone pills in case I suffer an attack. My wife drinks a minimum of a gallon of water a day. I rarely drink water. We’ve probably had an equal number of stones. We’ve had them analyzed for compositi9n to see if a diet change would help. No positive results that suggested a change - just the luck of the draw. 
    1. I can't imagine what it is like to live knowing there will be another one in the future. :ugh:

I just saw this thread. I am so sorry to hear this.

I hadn't seen this either. Never had kidney stones but my wife has a couple of times. I know it's no fun. Glad everything came out OK. :)

Just as a woman can say each pregnancy is "better" or "worse", so too are kidney stones.
    So it's hard to compare them.
    Cause a woman can have an "easy" pregnancy (relatively speaking) and can have a "bad" stone.
    Doesn't necessarily mean the one is worse than the other.

Best wishes for your wife
    I had to have 3 removed in about 2000. All 3 were a 1/2" in diameter.
    Mine happened on the 4th of july on a Saturday and all the Dr. were away on vacation. I went to the hospital 3 times over the long weekend, they gave me shots of morphine, it was the only thing that eased the pain.
    I had one nurse that dropped the the needle on the floor and was going to stick me with it anyway, luckily my wife was there and stopped her. That was in a Georgia hospital....

2. Appreciate the sympathy and encouragement: misery loves company.
    3. As mentioned in an earlier post, she did bring forth a nice little stone for viewing hours ago.
    4. She even walked on her beloved treadmill for the first time in a week to celebrate. :laugh:
    5. Now I have to live with the secret guilt that I was glad it was her bearing a stone and not me this time.
    :facepalm:

Top Bottom