• ...and so much more!
  • danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Hi everyone, I’m considering buying a full size crew cab pickup truck, front runner at the moment is a Ford F-150, but I’m not entirely against anything at the moment, although I drove a new Titan as a rental and didn’t care for how it drove so I’m not really interested in those.

I haven’t driven a Silverado in ages, or a new Toyota or Ram 1500, I’m not against any of them.

I carry a lot of tools, luggage, and fly fishing gear almost everywhere I go, I’ve given consideration to a Tahoe or Expedtion SUV as well, but I like the utility of a truck.

I’m sure this will be an informative thread, looking forward to seeing the replies.

:ingo:

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    You done poked the hornet's nest...

I can't really add much besides I drove a 2017 RAM 1500 for a day and it was NICE, but Dodge has not had the best track record.

Chevy vs Ford... get the Ford unless you're going to treat the bed rough as Ford's aluminum beds *can* perforate with sharp point impact.

Toyota are also very nice but pricey for more basic models and top trims lack nicer features, also lower tow ratings, but the long term reliability is unmatched.

Last edited:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I tried to buy a new Ford, they wouldn't deal with me. I ended up with a GMC. In my opinion they are all capable of providing long life if properly maintained. They wil all do what you need them to if properly equipped. It all comes down to personal preference.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I have a new Ram 1500. Mine is the 4X4 SLT Quad Cab (full size rear seat and doors) with RamBox bed storage. I can't say enough good things about it. Mine has every factory option except leather and it does everything I can ever see myself doing with a truck. Took a while to get used to the Fiat shifter though....lolz

Gary119

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Southern Indiana
    Couple of things.

Fords will have the stop start feature if you get a turbo engine or the diesel.

Ram ecodiesel can get 29-30 mpg. 4 coil springs = less towing capacity but ride nice.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    If you haven't priced them in the last few years, prepare for sticker shock.
    Finding a new one much under $35k will be a challenge, and most will be north of $40k with the electronics and interior comforts.

bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    I really like my F150 3.5 ecoboost. I just rode in one of the Ram Rebels. It was nice but I haven't had luck with Dodge products. My Chevy buddy slipped up awhile back when riding in my truck. He made the comment it rode better than his. Toyota Tundra's look nice but haven't rode in one.

Only problem I had was the spark plug boots wore out. Guess it's a common thing. The dealer covered it for me even though it was out of warranty.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'm a GM guy. My '03 Sierra has 215K miles on it. A friend's Silverado just rolled over 400K. Just a word about the crew cab half tons--the beds are teeny-tiny. The extended cab trucks like mine are 6.5ft beds and the crew cabs are 5.5ft. That's just too small for me. That's why Im planning on going to a 3/4 ton, if/when I buy a new one next year.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    On my third Ram 1500 (own two currently) and have no complaints. They've been great trucks, my wife has put near 100k on my 2012 and it's never missed a beat.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    2015 F150 XLT super cab (not super crew) 2.7 Ecoboost 2wd here. Unreal power for such a small engine and getting just under 23 mpg mixed driving. Put the trans in "sport mode" and the throttle response is amazing. Just bought tires at 67K miles and still on the original brakes. Very comfortable ride. Needed the 6 1/2' bed so I didn't go with the super crew. All else being equal, 4wd would have been over $4K extra and I see no need for it. I don't like the above mentioned start/stop feature but it can be disabled with a button on the dash. You should consider the responses here and go drive 'em all.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    Spend a day and go around test driving different makes. It won't cost you anything other than time. Most of it comes down to personal interest. Also do you do any towing? if you do I would really pay attention to the engines and tow ratings.

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Some of the new "1/2 tons" are pretty amazing. Need to get away from the 1/2, 3/4, and 1-ton nomenclature. The 1/2's can haul almost a ton now.

If you are an occasional user of the "truck" features, and stay on the light-duty end, it is hard to beat the new F-150 with an eco. They ride decent, have all the bells and whistles, and get SUV-type mileage. And this is coming from a GM guy....

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    I'm a Ford guy and I've got a 5.0, 2012 F150, SLT, 4x4 and have no complaints. Before that it was a 5.4, 1998 F140, FX4 and had no complaints there either.

yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    I'll tell you to drive them all. It is definetly personal choice, as all of them will do about everything. I owned a 2015 F150 crew cab with the 3.5 until yesterday. I had my F150 in the shop for some recall/warranty work and was given the same truck to use, but with the 5.0 V8 in it. We tow a camper that weighs about 8000lbs when loaded, and I can tell you without a doubt, that the eco-boost will run circles around the V8 while towing (we also towed with the rental). Seems like they both got eqaul fuel milage.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Thanks for all the replies, I’m currently leaning toward an F150, but the more I’ve read about the new Ram 1500’s is piquing my interest, I’ll definitely get out and drive a new Ram 1500 as well as a Silverado/Sierra 1500 and see what shakes out.

One of the things I really appreciate is the cab size on the new F150 crew cabs, and it seems the Ram actually has even more space than the Ford there.

As far as towing goes, I’m not going to be towing much more than a light trailer, or a pontoon boat if that happens anytime soon, so really any of these options should handle that without issue.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I own several trucks. I have a 2014 Ram Laramie crew cab 4X4 with the Hemi. It is the wifes daily driver. Runs great, drives great and the Hemi has tons of power and is very comfortable to drive. I also have a older Ram as a shop truck with around 225,000 miles on her. Runs like the day it was new. I also own a GMC 1500. I always thought it was a great truck until I bought a few others. It is a nice truck, but my least favorite out of the five. My other trucks are all Fords. For a half ton truck I like the Rams. If you move to a 2500 or 3500 I recommend a Ford.

Htrailblazer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Franklin
    I love my 2018 Tundra. Things I really like about it. Tons of power, pulls my 33ft camper with ease, roll down back window, LED headlights, interior space and ride comfort. Things that aren't great. Fuel economy. That's really it. I really wanted a ford but all of the ones that had 4wd and crew cab were over 50k. Mine ended up being just under 40k. so for the price I felt it was a better deal. only thing I don't have the ford did was leather and heated seats.

Top Bottom