• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    Long story, but here is the short version. I have a 1970 Pontiac LeMans and I need to remove the front driver side hard brake line from the junction block on the left frame rail. This flare nut basically points up toward the MC and booster. I have soaked the flare nut with Kroil and PB Blaster for a week and can’t get it to budge with my flare wrench.:xmad: I also used a loooong flat-blade screwdriver and small hammer to gently tap on the top of the flare nut in an attempt to get some shock on it to move the penetrating oil down into the threads. Don’t want to tap too hard and smash the nut or bugger the threads. Nut is on top of junction and can barely get a wrench on it. No way to get a torch in there to get some heat on it. Not sure what I might damage if I did. Tried my heat gun, but that barely got it warm.

I am a fair shade-tree wrench but this one has me stuck. My last thought is to try to find an aerosol can, with a straw, of something really cold to spray on the nut in an attempt to shrink it with the cold, but right now I do not know what might work.

Anyone have any ideas for me to try?

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    You're not going to like this but just go ahead and twist it off then replace the hard line. I've been working on a 63 Galaxie and ran into the same thing but what I found is that the flare nut wasn't rusted at the threads the flare nut was rusted to the steel tubing that goes thru it. I had this on both front lines and where the hard line ties into the rubber line going down to the rear end. YMMV

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    You're not going to like this but just go ahead and twist it off then replace the hard line. I've been working on a 63 Galaxie and ran into the same thing but what I found is that the flare nut wasn't rusted at the threads the flare nut was rusted to the steel tubing that goes thru it. I had this on both front lines and where the hard line ties into the rubber line going down to the rear end. YMMV

Yeah, that's what happened at the flex line on the other side, and is why I am replacing the hard line on both sides. Already snapped line off at flex line, just can't get the other end out of the junction block. I had thought about cutting line at junction block and getting a 6 point socket on it from above. This may be the only option. I am trying to not damage the junction because I don't want to replace it, which will probably necessitate replacement of the rear hard lines:). Thanks for the input guys.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Go with the nickel copper line for replacement, you don't even need a bender and it will not rust. It's really easy to flare.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    An upside down can of air duster gets pretty cold. Or you could try a big soldering iron.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    You "should be able to save the junction block but you'll want to chuck it up in a vice to prevent damage to it. Gonna have to cut the hard lines though. Cut it where it'll be easy to access so uou can re flare it.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    I got it!! Cut the line, put a 6 point socket on, used every extension and adapter that I own, and went at it from above. Tried it with a 3/8 ratchet- no go, then hooked up my battery powered impact drill, bumped it twice and it came right out!! Threads in junction were good. I now have it all back together. Just need to bleed and check my work, but that is going to wait until tomorrow. Thanks again for the responses.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I got it!! Cut the line, put a 6 point socket on, used every extension and adapter that I own, and went at it from above. Tried it with a 3/8 ratchet- no go, then hooked up my battery powered impact drill, bumped it twice and it came right out!! Threads in junction were good. I now have it all back together. Just need to bleed and check my work, but that is going to wait until tomorrow. Thanks again for the responses.

I love my 1/4" impact. Love it.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Go with the nickel copper line for replacement, you don't even need a bender and it will not rust. It's really easy to flare.

just did this today on dad’s 02 Tahoe. The rear line had rusted through. That no-cop line is ****ing awesome. Replaced the whole line in no time.

Top Bottom