Fluorescent tubes to LED? What do I do? What do I need to know to decide?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    Looking at swapping Kitchen (10 bulbs/5 light units) and Garage (12 bulbs/6 light units). Read so much online info I am more confused. Some LED bulbs can go straight into existing lights w/ballasts intact. Other LED bulbs require cutting ballast wires and wiring power direct to existing tombstones. Variations on these add more options. What is best route? Saves most KW's? What is cost effective? What brands to use? or avoid? Also, current bulbs are T12 but told T8 uses same tombstones so not an issue, right? Thanks in advance.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    Looking at swapping Kitchen (10 bulbs/5 light units) and Garage (12 bulbs/6 light units). Read so much online info I am more confused. Some LED bulbs can go straight into existing lights w/ballasts intact. Other LED bulbs require cutting ballast wires and wiring power direct to existing tombstones. Variations on these add more options. What is best route? Saves most KW's? What is cost effective? What brands to use? or avoid? Also, current bulbs are T12 but told T8 uses same tombstones so not an issue, right? Thanks in advance.

As in most areas of life, you don't get the best results with the least work...
    When installing the direct replacement bulbs, the ballast is still part of the circuit, and it will continue to draw power. The huge advantage is that the installation process is the same as changing the bulb and therefore almost anybody can do this. (Sadly my mother can't, but she told me "that's why she had me" when I tried to teach her how!).

If you have any electrical understanding at all, you can probably rewire the fixtures to use the more efficient direct connect tubes and save the electricity the ballasts would use.

If you don't have any electrical know how, and don't have any friends that do, then the question gets tough... Will the saved power from removing the ballasts EVER pay the costs of hiring an electrician to perform this work? that depends on the cost of the electrician and the cost of electricity. Assuming it isn't terribly difficult to get to the ballasts in the fixtures, I'd guess it would take 10 to 20 minutes/fixture or somewhere between 2 and 4 hours to have them rewired by a professional electrician.

Let me know if you've got questions. If I wasn't 2 hours away, I'd offer to train you on the first fixture.

--Rick

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I was looking to replace the fluorescent bulbs in my garage but it is easier and cheap to replace the entire hanging unit with ones designed for LEDs rather than try to retrofit.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I was looking to replace the fluorescent bulbs in my garage but it is easier and cheap to replace the entire hanging unit with ones designed for LEDs rather than try to retrofit.
    This, replace with LED fixtures. As for cost effective, you'll rarely save enough on your electric usage to recover the cost of retrofitting or replacing fixtures unless you use the lights 24/7 or turn them on and off all the time.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Are there NIPSCO rebates (power company), or something, to help offset costs of going LED ? I'm waiting on a cost estimate to switch out my whole shop to LED (about 60, 8-footers) and the estimator mentioned something about it.

This, replace with LED fixtures. As for cost effective, you'll rarely save enough on your electric usage to recover the cost of retrofitting or replacing fixtures unless you use the lights 24/7 or turn them on and off all the time.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Is the light quality, color, brightness as good with LED's ?

There are different quality light spectrums available in L.E.D. lighting.
    The "Daylight" spectrum are the easiest for my old eyes to read by.

It's also almost impossible to break an L.E.D. fixture.
    They don't have glass tubes.

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    I replaced fluorescent 4' fixtures in my garage with LED fixtures from Sam's club. They are made by Honeywell, got them for $26 each and they put out 4,500 lumens. Three of the units got bulbs replaced with LED tubes because of wiring they were not easy to replace. I now have 17 4' LED fixtures in my 22' x 24' garage. I don't need a light when under the car now! :-)

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I did the same as most bought led lights from lowes and swapped out fluorescent. Seems much brighter and no issues in the cold as before. I put one of the fluorescent under my reloading bench so I can see my brass buckets.

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    I have not compared this option. IF IT IS CHEAPER or AS CHEAP, I will swap units out. If New units are less cost, I have time, tools, and basic electrical skills. If the "cutting out ballast" option is cheaper, I will go that way.

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    As in most areas of life, you don't get the best results with the least work...
    When installing the direct replacement bulbs, the ballast is still part of the circuit, and it will continue to draw power. The huge advantage is that the installation process is the same as changing the bulb and therefore almost anybody can do this. (Sadly my mother can't, but she told me "that's why she had me" when I tried to teach her how!).

If you have any electrical understanding at all, you can probably rewire the fixtures to use the more efficient direct connect tubes and save the electricity the ballasts would use.

If you don't have any electrical know how, and don't have any friends that do, then the question gets tough... Will the saved power from removing the ballasts EVER pay the costs of hiring an electrician to perform this work? that depends on the cost of the electrician and the cost of electricity. Assuming it isn't terribly difficult to get to the ballasts in the fixtures, I'd guess it would take 10 to 20 minutes/fixture or somewhere between 2 and 4 hours to have them rewired by a professional electrician.

Let me know if you've got questions. If I wasn't 2 hours away, I'd offer to train you on the first fixture.

--Rick

SCHMART - Thanks for the info - I do have basic electrical skills. Your explaination is similar to what I was told before. This is the option an electrician told me to go with also - he said I could handle it. He just left off the info about which brands to use/avoid, and where to buy - Menards? Lowes? Electrical Supply house? The internet?

lrdudley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Generally speaking, the direct replacement bulbs will not work in T12 fixtures with magnetic ballasts. There are a few replacement LED tubes that are marked for magnetic ballast applications, but not many. Even then, how much life is left in that old ballast? Most direct replacement require an electronic ballast. The tombstones on a T12 and a T8 are the same. Are your garage lights direct wire or shop lights? A shop light hangs from chains and plugs in. DO NOT waste any of your money buying LED tubes for shop lights, they won't work, just buy LED shop lights. Preferably from Menards. If your fixtures have not had electronic ballasts put into them in the last couple of years, I would consider going the ballast bypass route.
    I'm the Electrical Manager at a Menards store somewhere in Indiana.

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    Generally speaking, the direct replacement bulbs will not work in T12 fixtures with magnetic ballasts. There are a few replacement LED tubes that are marked for magnetic ballast applications, but not many. Even then, how much life is left in that old ballast? Most direct replacement require an electronic ballast. The tombstones on a T12 and a T8 are the same. Are your garage lights direct wire or shop lights? A shop light hangs from chains and plugs in. DO NOT waste any of your money buying LED tubes for shop lights, they won't work, just buy LED shop lights. Preferably from Menards. If your fixtures have not had electronic ballasts put into them in the last couple of years, I would consider going the ballast bypass route.
    I'm the Electrical Manager at a Menards store somewhere in Indiana.
    IRDUDLY I bought the replacement bulbs for rapid/instant start ballasts that were onsale in Menards flyer today (Sunday). Once home, they do not work in my fixtures. 2 weeks ago I bought 1 pair of lights from Lowes while in there for work. They worked as advertised . If need be, I willing to be contacted directly so I get the right LED bulb for my fixtures, w/ or w/o ballast, what ever the works best. If you have the time... Thanks

JoeG1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2016
    Greenwood
    Some LED tubes work with certain ballasts. You have to know what type of ballast you have. There are a lot of tubes on the market that are designed to bypass the ballast all together. If you are going to bypass the ballast you just need to understand how to wire the fixture.

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    Some LED tubes work with certain ballasts. You have to know what type of ballast you have. There are a lot of tubes on the market that are designed to bypass the ballast all together. If you are going to bypass the ballast you just need to understand how to wire the fixture.

I have read this and been told the same by others. I want to know exactly what it says, on the bulb and on the ballast, so I know they are or are not compatible. The teen at Menards attempted to help but only resulted in me buying the (apparently) wrong option.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Most flourecent tube lights just need the ballast cut out and rewired to use the regular led tubes. You only have to buy the new led tubes and some wire nuts. I just rewired about 25 lights for our local conservation club this way.

The biggest thing to check is the tombstones, as long as they are non shunted they will work.

Last edited:

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    Most flourecent tube lights just need the ballast cut out and rewired to use the regular led tubes. You only have to buy the new led tubes and some wire nuts. I just rewired about 25 lights for our local conservation club this way.

The biggest thing to check is the tombstones, as long as they are non shunted they will work.

MARK DUCO. I know you are trying to help. Thanks. I asked for specific advice due to the fact i dont know all I should about electrical issues. I do not know what SHUNTED means or how to tell if it its or is not SHUNTED. I went to Menards Sunday, was told by the kid there I had the right stuff and it would work in my home - It didnt. I want to avoid the standard weekend, 3-trips-to-Menards-for-one-project.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    MARK DUCO. I know you are trying to help. Thanks. I asked for specific advice due to the fact i dont know all I should about electrical issues. I do not know what SHUNTED means or how to tell if it its or is not SHUNTED. I went to Menards Sunday, was told by the kid there I had the right stuff and it would work in my home - It didnt. I want to avoid the standard weekend, 3-trips-to-Menards-for-one-project.

I dont remember the brand of lights we used, but here are very detailed instructions on how to retrofit existing light fixtures to use single end powered ballast bypass led tubes.

https://a89b8e4143ca50438f09-7c1706...ulb-lbp8f1750b-cs-installation.pdf?1491311834

Top Bottom