• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Background info... DoggyMama bought an RV back in the summer with the intention of being able to take the grandkids on some "camping" trips. I didn't want it (to me, RV camping isn't camping - it's parking), but I didn't fight her on it. One of the problems is that we have no room in our driveway for it, so we parked it in our side yard. In the meantime, a friend of hers left her abusive boyfriend and needed a place to stay, so we let her stay in the RV (that's another story). Anyhow, we have always parked our pontoon boat and pickup next to the house, and have for 13 years with nary a word said by anyone.

Today (November 10th), I got a letter from city code enforcement informing me that I am in violation of zoning codes and that any vehicles parked in a side yard must be on a "hard surface". They said unless the situation was abated by November 20th, I would be subject to fees and fines and lawsuits, etc.. So since Monday is a holiday, they've basically given me a week to come up with a solution. I emailed the person that sent the letter to ask if a gravel parking area would suffice and will wait to hear back from him about that.

I explained to him that one week is not enough time for me to have at least one, and possibly two trees removed, arrange for gravel to be delivered and spread and secure financing for all this. Oh, and DoggyMama has just started cancer treatment so things are very much in a state of flux with us. I also told him I would need to take time off work to get all this done, and we're very busy at the moment so that's going to be tough too. I let him know that I of course want to comply with the law, but that I really needed more time, so we will see.

I have a feeling I know who called them on us. Nextdoor neighbor's wife is a real *****. They have an 8 foot privacy fence, so they really only see the top 3 feet of the RV, but apparently that makes her unhappy. They didn't have the guts to just come talk to us about it, but instead chose to report us to code enforcement. I'm usually a "go along, get along" kinda guy, but this really ticks me off.

So, I'm going to find out the bare minimum I need to do to stay legal and let it go at that. I'm tempted to have the gravel piled a little "extra high" where the RV will be parked. I they thought they were going to get rid of it, they've got another thing coming. We have one of the nicest yards on the entire street. Well manicured, landscaped, etc.. It's not like we have junk vehicles sitting out on blocks and a couch on the front porch. With all that's going on right now with DoggyMama's health and my current workload, it's just lousy timing. :ranton:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Background info... DoggyMama bought an RV back in the summer with the intention of being able to take the grandkids on some "camping" trips. I didn't want it (to me, RV camping isn't camping - it's parking), but I didn't fight her on it. One of the problems is that we have no room in our driveway for it, so we parked it in our side yard. In the meantime, a friend of hers left her abusive boyfriend and needed a place to stay, so we let her stay in the RV (that's another story). Anyhow, we have always parked our pontoon boat and pickup next to the house, and have for 13 years with nary a word said by anyone.

Today (November 10th), I got a letter from city code enforcement informing me that I am in violation of zoning codes and that any vehicles parked in a side yard must be on a "hard surface". They said unless the situation was abated by November 20th, I would be subject to fees and fines and lawsuits, etc.. So since Monday is a holiday, they've basically given me a week to come up with a solution. I emailed the person that sent the letter to ask if a gravel parking area would suffice and will wait to hear back from him about that.

I explained to him that one week is not enough time for me to have at least one, and possibly two trees removed, arrange for gravel to be delivered and spread and secure financing for all this. Oh, and DoggyMama has just started cancer treatment so things are very much in a state of flux with us. I also told him I would need to take time off work to get all this done, and we're very busy at the moment so that's going to be tough too. I let him know that I of course want to comply with the law, but that I really needed more time, so we will see.

I have a feeling I know who called them on us. Nextdoor neighbor's wife is a real *****. They have an 8 foot privacy fence, so they really only see the top 3 feet of the RV, but apparently that makes her unhappy. They didn't have the guts to just come talk to us about it, but instead chose to report us to code enforcement. I'm usually a "go along, get along" kinda guy, but this really ticks me off.

So, I'm going to find out the bare minimum I need to do to stay legal and let it go at that. I'm tempted to have the gravel piled a little "extra high" where the RV will be parked. I they thought they were going to get rid of it, they've got another thing coming. We have one of the nicest yards on the entire street. Well manicured, landscaped, etc.. It's not like we have junk vehicles sitting out on blocks and a couch on the front porch. With all that's going on right now with DoggyMama's health and my current workload, it's just lousy timing. :ranton:

If they know someone is living in it you are really in for a ride.
    I have been through this with code enforcement. They may not have been called. If they are in a given area they will do sweeps. Once they have you in the loop they will stop by with regularity. Gravel may or may not be the answer and your temp. tenant will most likely have to go. Depends on what rep. you get handling the issue.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I ran into a similar situation in Greenwood when we lived there; we had a neighbor lady that we started calling Gladys Kravitz (you kids will need to look that up) I lost track of how many times she called CE on us and of all those times only one was legit and it was over our RV. By the time this occurred the CE guy and I were on a first name basis. He calls me at work one day and after a few pleasantry's about the weekend and vacations and stuff I finally asked him what I had done "this time". He proceeds to tell me that I can't have our RV parked on the side of the garage and then quietly allows me to finish my rant during which I told him that I KNEW it was legal because I checked into it before I bought it.

After I spooled down he reiterated that I couldn't have it there and started laughing as I started spooling back up. I realized he was laughing and asked him what the joke was and he told me that I would have to back up the camper as it wasn't allowed to pass a line drawn across the front of the structure. We volleyed back and forth a few minutes and he told me to look at it when I got home that afternoon and I did. We stretched a line across the front of the house and measured it and we were indeed about 1/2" too far forward!!!:rolleyes: I had the GF get in the thing and back it up enough so it was 1/2" BEHIND the line and as we were doing it Abner and Gladys went by smiling and waving as I "invited" them to come over and inspect it so they could see it was indeed now legal.

We moved out of town later that summer.:rockwoot:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    If they know someone is living in it you are really in for a ride.
    I have been through this with code enforcement. They may not have been called. If they are in a given area they will do sweeps. Once they have you in the loop they will stop by with regularity. Gravel may or may not be the answer and your temp. tenant will most likely have to go. Depends on what rep. you get handling the issue.
    Yeah, that's why I said that was another story. It was supposed to be very temporary but it has dragged on for over a month now. She could move in to the house in a pinch, but she has a very unfriendly pit bull that stays out there with her (she walks her regularly, but the dog wouldn't get along with our dogs). If gravel isn't good enough then we'll have to look for some other storage option and she'll have to find somewhere else. I'm not going to drop 30 or 40 grand for a concrete pad (not to mention the increase in property taxes) just to park an RV.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I ran into a similar situation in Greenwood when we lived there; we had a neighbor lady that we started calling Gladys Kravitz (you kids will need to look that up) I lost track of how many times she called CE on us and of all those times only one was legit and it was over our RV. By the time this occurred the CE guy and I were on a first name basis. He calls me at work one day and after a few pleasantry's about the weekend and vacations and stuff I finally asked him what I had done "this time". He proceeds to tell me that I can't have our RV parked on the side of the garage and then quietly allows me to finish my rant during which I told him that I KNEW it was legal because I checked into it before I bought it.

After I spooled down he reiterated that I couldn't have it there and started laughing as I started spooling back up. I realized he was laughing and asked him what the joke was and he told me that I would have to back up the camper as it wasn't allowed to pass a line drawn across the front of the structure. We volleyed back and forth a few minutes and he told me to look at it when I got home that afternoon and I did. We stretched a line across the front of the house and measured it and we were indeed about 1/2" too far forward!!!:rolleyes: I had the GF get in the thing and back it up enough so it was 1/2" BEHIND the line and as we were doing it Abner and Gladys went by smiling and waving as I "invited" them to come over and inspect it so they could see it was indeed now legal.

We moved out of town later that summer.:rockwoot:

I did see something where it said the vehicles could not extend into the front or rear of the yard, so I guess that's what they were referring to. That part won't be a problem. I'd like to retire out in the country somewhere (probably Tennessee) but I really don't want to move right now. My dad built this house and I grew up here, so for now at least, it's home.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    With all you have going on, it might be simpler to just temporally rent a storage spot and park your RV there. Then once you know what the minimum requirements are, you can move it back.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    With all you have going on, it might be simpler to just temporally rent a storage spot and park your RV there. Then once you know what the minimum requirements are, you can move it back.

Yeah, if push comes to shove we will probably have to do that. We could probably park it at DoggyMama's mom and dad's house for a little while. Doesn't solve the tenant problem though.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    Yeah, if push comes to shove we will probably have to do that. We could probably park it at DoggyMama's mom and dad's house for a little while. Doesn't solve the tenant problem though.

The tenant problem sort of solves itself. Your home is going elsewhere and while you(the tenant) are welcome the dog isn't. Your house your rules.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The tenant problem sort of solves itself. Your home is going elsewhere and while you(the tenant) are welcome the dog isn't. Your house your rules.

That's my thought but we don't want her going back to the boyfriend. Don't know about how the inlaws would feel about the dog either.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Man up my friend. Time for her to go I would say. Just me of course. Her languishing and non-motivation might be one of the reasons her and the x got into it. Just a thought. If her being there causes you problems it is time for her not to be there. Tell her the camper has to be moved and so does she. Where she goes is not something you need to worry over right now with the spouse in Chemo. Seriously. JMHO of course.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Man up my friend. Time for her to go I would say. Just me of course. Her languishing and non-motivation might be one of the reasons her and the x got into it. Just a thought. If her being there causes you problems it is time for her not to be there. Tell her the camper has to be moved and so does she.
    Well, she started a job now, so hopefully she will move (or buy the RV and take it away at this point) soon. I'm of the same mind though.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well, she started a job now, so hopefully she will move (or buy the RV and take it away at this point) soon. I'm of the same mind though.

This is why we have a strict rule put in place when my sons "X" pulled the same crap on us. There will never ever be another person living with us regardless. Period. It never ends well. People take advantage. I have story's.

Unless it is a Grandchild. No adults. Ever.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    This is why we have a strict rule put in place when my sons "X" pulled the same crap on us. There will never ever be another person living with us regardless. Period. It never ends well. People take advantage. I have story's.

Unless it is a Grandchild. No adults. Ever.
    I agree CM. DoggyMama has a big heart though and tries to help everyone. I can't fault her for that, but yeah, it's getting to that point.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I agree CM. DoggyMama has a big heart though and tries to help everyone. I can't fault her for that, but yeah, it's getting to that point.

That was our deal. Spouse is to easy and giving. I finally had to man up and step up. Now she see's the issues. If is going to cause me grief then take that **** elsewhere.

Top Bottom