• ...and so much more!
  • indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Pacific Coast Highway looking north at Malibu present day.

woolsey-fire-malibu-PCH-2018.jpg

Thought it might be an altered image. Seems that it isn't.

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/...ugh-Oak-Park-in-Ventura-County-500117921.html

Greetings from sunny Cali.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Wow, that is indeed scary. Maybe they should let the timber companies manage their forests, create some jobs, and make a little$$. Or ... you can keep it 'natural' like in that pic. Whatevs

Last edited:

mmpsteve

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    I edited out my edit once I read the story. I don't mean to be flip about it; people's lives are at risk. But they choose to run this risk to keep the forests untouched, and then they get this. Forests can be managed properly, in a sustainable manner that mitigates these risks, but they choose not to. It is indeed a powerful picture; you are right about that. I shouldn't make everything political, but blind ignorance irritates me.

It is. Pic just strikes me like a scene out of a 'end of days' movie. But it's the real thing. Hard to believe cutting down dead trees is against the law there.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I edited out my edit once I read the story. I don't mean to be flip about it; people's lives are at risk. But they choose to run this risk to keep the forests untouched, and then they get this. Forests can be managed properly, in a sustainable manner that mitigates these risks, but they choose not to. It is indeed a powerful picture; you are right about that. I shouldn't make everything political, but blind ignorance irritates me.

I enjoy throwing things out to see what others make of it. Some focus on the humanity of the picture, others cite the reason why the picture took place. True, peoples lives are being impacted, some gravely. Some things are out of their control, other things they bring on themselves. That whole state dumbfounds me. I have family that live in Berkeley and they say nothing of the plight they live near. I have to believe they see it.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Wow, that is indeed scary. Maybe they should let the timber companies manage their forests, create some jobs, and make a little$$. Or ... you can keep it 'natural' like in that pic. Whatevs

It's not forest is it? But they certainly need to improve their fire prevention and suppression practices.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Awesome picture. Kinda looks like they've played around with the settings though as th colors look over saturated (I think that's the right term).

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Nature being Nature :dunno:. In some belief systems fire is a sign of rebirth.

IIRC they don't allow controlled burns or clearing out trash and debris. Better to have little annual fires than periodic Godzilla-breath. And they still get the rebirth thing if they so choose.

(I do remember working as a volunteer in a NF in the Rockies where a controlled burn got out of control and destroyed a historic cabin. Not me. They wouldn't let volunteers play with fire or other dangerous stuff.)

mmpsteve

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    In some types of forest, fire is necessary for rebirth, and is healthy for regeneration. But when you mix that in with human populations and their houses, it doesn't always mix well. Even forests that need fire to regenerate can be managed by professionals trained on that ecosystem to mitigate the risks to humans and their houses, and at the same time, to make a few bucks and create jobs, in an eco-friendly manner. Some people would rather keep it totally natural, AND build their house in the middle of it. And then they reap what they sow. Mostly avoidable, but it's about the feelings, man!

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Not only do they mismanage in their forestry practices, the more acreage that burns, the more money Cal Fire gets.

Follow The Money! :xmad:

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    That certainly is a super scary pic. It sucks that people died but those people are reaping what they voted. Their forestry management rules are beyond stupid and every year people die as a result. This is the second major fire in a row caused by a power line, this time PG&E (Remember Erin Brockovich) is on the hook.

Edit: Death toll at 23 and 35 missing.

Last edited:

wrigleycub

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    West side of Indy
    It's not forest is it? But they certainly need to improve their fire prevention and suppression practices.

I have a good friend who lives in Big Bear, that happens to be a retired fire captain from LBFD. He got fined a couple of years ago for clearing scrub brush away from his home to clean up his property and try to prevent fire from getting his home. Apparently a little endangered mouse lives in said scrub brush. The scrub brush is what causes almost all of the devastating fires in California. Pretty sad that such “smart” people behave with such ignorance.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I have a good friend who lives in Big Bear, that happens to be a retired fire captain from LBFD. He got fined a couple of years ago for clearing scrub brush away from his home to clean up his property and try to prevent fire from getting his home. Apparently a little endangered mouse lives in said scrub brush. The scrub brush is what causes almost all of the devastating fires in California. Pretty sad that such “smart” people behave with such ignorance.
    I'm sure that endangered little rodent appreciates those kind people giving up their homes and lives for them in a raging out of control apocalyptic inferno. I think the real endangered species in California are the rational logical thinking people.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom