• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Did a load of laundry this past weekend and came back from the gym and realized the washer was still on. The control panel was off but it sounded like the drain pump was still going. Unplug it and it stopped, plug it back in and it goes back on. I figured a service call would be at least 100 dollars. While not old (5 years old), they are old enough to not mess with. Got a new set, dryer is going to a family in need. Washer is going to someone who scraps or repairs them. I remember the set my mom and dad had when I was a kid lasted probably 10 years plus. Doesn’t seem like they are built to last that long anymore.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Did a load of laundry this past weekend and came back from the gym and realized the washer was still on. The control panel was off but it sounded like the drain pump was still going. Unplug it and it stopped, plug it back in and it goes back on. I figured a service call would be at least 100 dollars. While not old (5 years old), they are old enough to not mess with. Got a new set, dryer is going to a family in need. Washer is going to someone who scraps or repairs them. I remember the set my mom and dad had when I was a kid lasted probably 10 years plus. Doesn’t seem like they are built to last that long anymore.

It was probably just a $20 relay.

Our dryer tried to burn the house down. It stopped running on but I figured out the element was coming on as soon as you turned the dial, even with the door open and before pushing the button to start the drum and blower.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    We had a washer show a trouble code of pump valve failure, replaced it, then it showed another failure and we replaced it, on the third trouble code we bought another washer and paid for the extended warranty. Oh, the old one was only 3 years old, just out of the warranty. Our new one has 8 years worth of warranty so I imagine we will be getting a new one in a few years under warranty.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We had a washer show a trouble code of pump valve failure, replaced it, then it showed another failure and we replaced it, on the third trouble code we bought another washer and paid for the extended warranty. Oh, the old one was only 3 years old, just out of the warranty. Our new one has 8 years worth of warranty so I imagine we will be getting a new one in a few years under warranty.

We had a set that was high tech. 3 1/2 years in the dryer had broken 2 times and I fixed it. The washer started throwing codes and I chased it around until it Pi$$ed me off and we found a Hi-capacity top loader that is not that smart. It actually does a better job than the $1250 smart washer.
    Still have the dryer.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I've done several repairs on both Kenmore washers and dryers to keep them going. Find a YouTube video by searching your make/model and have the serial number handy. There are TONS of good videos by Appliance Parts Pros (https://www.youtube.com/user/AppliancePartsPros), Repair Clinic.com (https://www.youtube.com/user/RepairClinic/featured) and some other people who just want you to buy a part from them online. Funny, I actually ended up fixing a friend's washer too, despite being an office IT puke. (me, not him) :laugh:

If that isn't your speed, Craigslist actually has some nice washers and dryers available. Once I had taken the dryer as far as possible, we picked one up from a guy in Avon and he actually took our old one. Sure he fixed it up and put it in inventory.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    They don't build them like they used to. My Kenmore dryer is 34 years old and my Maytag washer is about 31. Both were purchased before my daughter was born. That is how I know their age. Got my money's worth for sure.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    They don't build them like they used to. My Kenmore dryer is 34 years old and my Maytag washer is about 31. Both were purchased before my daughter was born. That is how I know their age. Got my money's worth for sure.

Amen to that!

It is amazing how many are the same mechanically, with just the brand name on the case being the difference. I have replaced water pumps twice, agitators, fuses, etc. It is actually fun once you get used to it. Except for the water pump failure. Those suck.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    We had a set that was high tech. 3 1/2 years in the dryer had broken 2 times and I fixed it. The washer started throwing codes and I chased it around until it Pi$$ed me off and we found a Hi-capacity top loader that is not that smart. It actually does a better job than the $1250 smart washer.
    Still have the dryer.
    "Back in the day" which was 1973 Mom got a Maytag washer and dryer (back when Maytag was Maytag.) The washer lasted until 1996 (still ran, the seal that kept water out when not running went out.) Replaced it with another Maytag. The new washer and original dryer were still running in 2012.

Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    I now have to set my spin speed down to low and rely on my dryer to do more work. Unbalanced load errors happen every time on any speed higher regardless of load size. I have already spent $150.00 for a new control board a few years ago. I agree... they do not make them like they used to.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    If there's one thing I've learned: let my wife pick out the appliances she wants. When they break down, at least I don't get blamed for "making her" pick the lemons. Anymore, I think the appliance people plan on folks changing out appliances when they get in the mood for a new one rather than because they're broken down (especially refrigerators). Then there's the mindset that the washers and dryers have to be a matched set. :rolleyes:

But...I don't say much because when I bring a new gun home she generally doesn't say too much about that. ;)

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel

Same here... kinda. We bought this house stocked with appliances, some as old as we were. The stove is from 1971 and still works great, the polymer tank water heater is from 1997 and works great, the rolling dishwasher from 1999 also works great, even the 1988 air conditioner is still A-1 thanks to Churchmouse. The furnace did have to go, and the fridge soon after. The washer and dryer were early 80's Maytags and worked fine until the dryer started taking forever, one day we spotted a killer deal on a much newer used pair and bought them. I had a buddy help me transport them so we just shoved the old ones in a corner of the basement. This year the newer dryer tried to burn the house down as I described above. I had 5 days until I could deal with getting a new one so I opened up the 80's Maytag and cleaned every corner of it and put it back in service... it worked perfect. When I did get a new dryer they hauled away the fire hazard and I pushed the 30+ yr old Maytag right back in the corner with it's matching washer until next time.

Last edited:

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Ours are Maytags and over 15 years old. Top load washer, had to clean out a inlet screen on the washer and replace the valve. Even my sons realize that they don't make them like they used to and notice that their friends' 'high efficiency' washers are maybe a scam and don't clean as well.

No you can't have our old Maytags. We take care of them and keep 'em running. :ingo:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    My wife lost an underwire in the washer today. Heard whipping scraping noise. Glad it was only that, thought I was going to have to buy a new one

Last edited:

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    When we bought our house, there was a set there but they were horrible. Neither one did a good job. Found a basic Maytag washer in the scratch-n-dent section at Lowe's. Bought the basic matching dryer. Something to consider, we had a HVAC guy come and run a rigid dryer vent. Couldn't believe how much faster it dried.:twocents:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    stay away from the bells and whistle models, keep it simple.

Yep. We were given REALLY nice LGs. Why? because our friend's sister bought a brand new house, and wanted all new appliances across the board. Absolutely NOTHING wrong with the 2yo set. (must be nice to have more money than brains)

many years later, still going strong. The top cover around where you add soap, etc is rusting out, but otherwise runs good.

I do miss my Ropers (bare basic Whirlpool). Whenever something would go sideways with those, like an imbalanced load, I could turn the analog knob to the beginning of the spin cycle, and it would do its thing in 5 minutes. With this fancy one the best I can do is set a quick cycle rinse and spin for 15 mins. I have absolutely no way to just spin out what is in the clothes and be done. (even if I dont need a rinse) :xmad:

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Our old Maytag dryer from the 90s is still going fairly strong. I did want a new one, until the Maytag guy advised us to hang onto this one, and he's good about getting us parts for it when needed. We had to replace the washer, got an LG "smart" model. Loved it at first, but broke after warranty, and after trying to fix it and wasting money on parts, ended up with a "plain Jane" Whirlpool. I miss the delay setting that the old one had, I could time it so a load of wash would be done and ready for the dryer when I get home, but that's about it.

Top Bottom