• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Wow - didn’t realize there was enough of a huge crime problem in Terre Haute that would arrant a $242,000 tactical vehicle. Yet the police chief has to settle for a stripped down base model for his official car.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    So what I wonder is...

Force escalation on your part (or the perception thereof) almost always leads to force escalation on the part of your adversary.

In the modern environment, it seems to me that we are militarizing a large number of police entities that have always been, and might continue to be, well-served with simply squad cars, and boots on the ground policing their AO from the ground up..."hands on" in a much broader sense, if you will.

I am well aware and abreast of the arguments about police safety, and armament, and protective equipment, etc. WELL aware.

But is this the chicken or the egg? (are criminals continuing to upgear to combat militarized police forces, or is it police having to up the ante to keep themselves and the citizens from getting dead?)

From the side of the Blue Line, it's very easy for me to default to the hardliner perspective that it can't be the Police causing the issue, and the militarization is entirely about Police safety. But the thing is, human behavior doesn't have to follow this logic, and humans are really good about adapting to new inputs...

So along that line of reasoning, my 'wonder' is this: If the escalation continues, how long will it be until criminals are obtaining and using crew-served weapons and RPGs?

I hope it never gets to that, but I'm not naive enough to think it's impossible.

-Nate

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Y’all realize that these vehicles aren’t used for patrol, right? They sit in their garage until a need for them arises. Not even every SWAT situation necessitates the use of an armored vehicle, but when they are needed, they are a great asset.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Y’all realize that these vehicles aren’t used for patrol, right.

I'll have you know that I sometimes watch the police documentary SWAT for both educational purposes on police procedures and see how hot Lina Esco is in that particular episode (spoiler: always hot).

And I'll have you know that the SWAT Bearcat is always on patrol. Ha, nice try, but I know how SWAT operates, as you are SWAT or you are not. I am SWAT.

cerebus85

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    People who complain that it is a waste of resources for a local government most likely haven't had to rely of such resources. I would rather going in to harms way in a armored vehicle knowing that i am safe than a vehicle that my tax payers all approved of but is susceptible to saf or can't complete the mission requirements. Plus most instances dont know how much they need until its too late.

on another note if you really wanna see government waste, look at where all the military equipment ends up.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    People who complain that it is a waste of resources for a local government most likely haven't had to rely of such resources.

Please, outside of major cities, the IFVs are silly toys. White elephants to be bragged about at the next Indiana Sheriffs' Association or the next City Council meeting.

However, we can demonstrate need with math. R(probability, severity of outcome). Show your work.

When is the last time Terre Haute cops have been shot at in a situation where the IFV would have been utilized? As well, what did THPD do before the IFV and why cannot they do it now?

Holding government responsible is tough as you cannot given to the path of least resistance, you have to stand up and ask questions. So, show your work, how is the THPD IFV needed?

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Simple question: If your job was to drive to an address where a person called and said there's some guy with a gun shooting the place up, what vehicle would you want to use to go there?

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Simple question: If your job was to drive to an address where a person called and said there's some guy with a gun shooting the place up, what vehicle would you want to use to go there?

yep, they have an mrap and some old military hummvees. Earlier this year the thpd lost an officer in an altercation over a murder (Robb Pitts was the officer). They have also had at least two other hostage situations with shots exchanged.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    What garage, the police station is falling apart and is an old bank. There has been instances lately where they had to take the MRAP out due to situations, not sure it warrants 250k vehicle.

Did I say that? I’m all for keeping officers safe and if they feel they need it, go for it. They want this one as the mrap might be too big for some areas of town.

I guess I misunderstood the sentence in bold.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Wow - didn’t realize there was enough of a huge crime problem in Terre Haute that would arrant a $242,000 tactical vehicle. Yet the police chief has to settle for a stripped down base model for his official car.

Well, Tim McVeigh lived in Terre Haute....for a while.

Top Bottom