• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    quiet house and had puppies before sounds like maybe an empty nester or no kids? kinda of a do what you want thing except House breaking in jan feb in IN sounds kinda horrible....

kids? how old? absolutely sure no allergies? (no one wants to have to get rid of a puppy, especially when it's a Christmas present)

lots of variables....

-rvb

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    We have gotten the last 2 pups in November and December. It seems to be a good time for training them to say with you outside. They want to come in because if the cold. We have had the new pup 3 weeks. He does his duty and runs to the door. The other pup was the same way. I don;t think it is a bad time. I prefer it.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    So, something my parents realized as the nest emptied:
    Getting a new pet does come with the comfort of re-populating the nest. But it also comes with 10-15 more years of nurturing/tending to another life.

Just something to consider if you still want to be getting up @ 6AM when you're retired.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    So, something my parents realized as the nest emptied:
    Getting a new pet does come with the comfort of re-populating the nest. But it also comes with 10-15 more years of nurturing/tending to another life.

Just something to consider if you still want to be getting up @ 6AM when you're retired.

Yes. Our kids have been out of the house for a few years, and our two little dogs are older. When these two dogs are gone, and we get my MIL into a home, I don't even want the commitment of a potted plant.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Not empty nesters. Have a 20 year old around (sometimes...)
    Definitely no allergies.
    Interesting tid bit on the winter training and them staying close/wanting inside. Never thought of that.
    Ham/Turkey? Toss up. Love them both.
    This is the first time in 23 years there is not a dog in our house.
    Chaos died in August. He was 14.
    I like plants too. One of my orchids at the office is finally going to bloom after a year and a half of painfully trying to keep it alive.
    Man I miss him bad like the ones before him.
    csno.jpg

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Dog requirements here are big, soft and furry. No short hairs. lol. Seriously though, I really don't want anything other than a Belgian. They are my thing.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Years ago brought home pup in January. He didn’t want to go out or stay out. Then later we had an older dog named Maggie then we got another pup. Maggie taught Charlie how to be a good dog better and faster than I ever could.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I say go for it! It will help fill that void that Chaos has left in your heart. Sorry to hear about him passing. Losing a dog is not an easy thing. Best of luck to you in your search!

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Bad time for puppy. Imagine rushing to take out half peeing puppy into 12 degree weather in bare feet, boxer shorts, etc and the puppy hitting the snow and deciding that pissing indoors is preferable.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    We've gotten our three dogs in February, November, and September. I don't think the time of year mattered at all in their house training.

I vote yes on a dog for Christmas. Just not another at my house.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Dog requirements here are big, soft and furry. No short hairs. lol. Seriously though, I really don't want anything other than a Belgian. They are my thing.

American Eskimos used to be my thing. At one time I had four, now I'm down to two seniors. Apparently Chihuahas are my new thing. Fate decided, not me.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    We got our shepherd a week before Christmas. Our older female border collie/mix took him under her wing and taught him well. He went everywhere she went and tried to do everything she did. They’re best friends now, and never do anything destructive in the house (they are inside dogs), don’t have to be kept in a crate, and roam the house freely while we’re away.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Get a puppy! I think it's a bad idea for inexperienced dog owners to get a pup for Christmas. Sounds like you'd be just fine.

This! And if you look at training or owning a dog as a lot work you might not be cut out for a young puppy. Look for an older dog.
    there are plenty in shelters. I have had several shelter dogs. I have had ok luck. A lot of them end up in shelters because of behavior issues like poor house training and peoples laziness to learn how to really handle a dog. But they can be trained too.

The last 3 dogs have been pups. I have never had issues with house breaking. You have to keep them on a schedule. For the first few months they sleep in the crate. They come out at least every few hours during the day. Four hours at night. They are not put in the kennel until they fall asleep or I have to leave the house. When they come out of the crate they go out for at least a few minutes, then again after then eat and then every hour or so. They get praise for going out side. I use the phrase go potty, after a while they learn what the word means. Usually in a few months the crate gets put away.

They take a lot of attention for sure. But you get a really good life long friend for your reward. I am a dog person for sure.

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    We got our Cane Corso just a few weeks ago and she is doing great. She wasn't crazy about the first snow, but everything is going well. Seems to be a very intelligent dog and very lovable!

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Why just one? Cost!!! Seriously though, i don't plan on having more than one dog at a time again. We had as many as 3 at one point and my wife and i agree that 1 is our number. That way they get all the attention and training they deserve. As for the cold, Belgains love so, so that's a no issue i think. I will be the one suffering lol, but it's worth it. Breeder contacted me today. Pups are 5 weeks now.

Top Bottom