• ...and so much more!
  • tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Been at the same place for awhile as a maintenance tech and been happy there for the most part. For the last year been recruited by a senior living community company and offered a pretty great job with many chances for advancement. There is no chances for advancement at my current position. I will be the maintenance manager for the building complex and have small staff.
    Pretty stoked! Prayers welcome for smooth transition.
    Downside is I’m going to miss the guys I work with and the people I deal with on a day to day basis. Thanks

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Best of luck on the new job. I left one after 13 1/2 years. I was worried I would not like the new job or they would not like my work. I got out a a rut I thought I was stuck in and it all worked out for the better. I never had regrets. You will do fine! Especially if there was no room for advancement.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    Prayers for a smooth transition and happiness in your new job. I've passed on job offers at better pay just because I enjoy the people I work with. It always came down to, I know the a** holes I work with now and really hate to get to know new a** holes. Guess I'm just an old ass hOle lover

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Best of luck to you. Assuming you have been at it a while, did you encounter any hints of age discrimination on your journey? Just curious?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Good Luck.It seems us older folks have a value again.
    Millennials have really changed the way employers look at things. You didn't used to hire an old guy with only 5 years or less to work left. But now, that may be longer than you will get out of the youngster.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Been at the same place for awhile as a maintenance tech and been happy there for the most part. For the last year been recruited by a senior living community company and offered a pretty great job with many chances for advancement. There is no chances for advancement at my current position. I will be the maintenance manager for the building complex and have small staff.
    Pretty stoked! Prayers welcome for smooth transition.
    Downside is I’m going to miss the guys I work with and the people I deal with on a day to day basis. Thanks

1. A truly huge and stressful "fork-in-the-road."
    2. Hopefully, the new place is stable long-run and ran well so they will be around for the long haul.
    3. With all the downsizing that happens, security it a concern.
    4. When I moved here in 1985 I worked different jobs when I wasn't in teaching for over 2 yrs.
    5. I hated looking for work, especially the Classifieds, and just like the Sociology books teach, it is really by networking that most get the jobs they have, but with the 'net maybe that's changing. I haven't seen the latest stats.
    6. Good luck to you! :thumbsup:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Millennials have really changed the way employers look at things. You didn't used to hire an old guy with only 5 years or less to work left. But now, that may be longer than you will get out of the youngster.

1. Just read where Boeing is rehiring retirees for 6 months to get some projects done: hope it turns out longer for those that want it.
    2. I had always thought that I would substitute teach after retirement, but I think I'll do something else, maybe be a driver for a car lot, Zeibart or the like.
    3. I've even thought about working part-time in a gun shop, but my little bit of experience might have me just sweeping up cases in the range instead of helping people choose their weapons. :dunno:

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Best of luck to you. Assuming you have been at it a while, did you encounter any hints of age discrimination on your journey? Just curious?

None at all. Plus I just turned 51.. how old do I sound ? :fogey::fogey:I am leaving on good terms.. having a party to be sent off with. New job is in Ft Wayne. Thanks for all the well wishes

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    A guy from my work was 62 when he was let go and was promptly hired somewhere else. I think companies are willing to hang on to people as long as they want to work. They see the value in the work ethic of the aging baby boomer.

Millennial's will work, but they are changing the landscape of what a typical workday/job looks like. Companies are adjusting to their mentality but until they have no choice but to have a staff full of millennial's, they will hang on to the older folks. JMO

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    Colossians 3:23-24
    [FONT=&quot]23 Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters,[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]24 since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.

Prayers for you and your new job.....

[/FONT]

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    None at all. Plus I just turned 51.. how old do I sound ? :fogey::fogey:I am leaving on good terms.. having a party to be sent off with. New job is in Ft Wayne. Thanks for all the well wishes

When I saw first job interview in 23.5 years I thought retired military. I had 16 different jobs in 21.5 years, didn't interview for a one of them. I never left any on bad terms, although I saw that a lot.

My first interview was with Public Works (what the Navy calls Civil Engineering and vehicle maintenance) at Crane. I didn't get it, but things worked out better.

No longer being .mil (.gov, not .mil for the past 11 years, same job) a few people who I had considered friends would no longer speak to me. Oh well...

Best of luck!

Top Bottom