• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I have not had mail in 3 days. Not sure what they are gonna do when they get busy! Wife called and complained today and they said they just don't have any mailmen....they will try to get it to us today. How do you make a formal complaint against these bureaucratic jacklegs? Last time the USPS pissed me off I woke up the next morning to the FBI, ATF, Postal Inspector, State Police, HCSD & Danville Police at my door. No less than 20 people and 10-12 cars on my street, ready to take me to jail.

You know what really angers me is they could very easily prevent this, if not for the Unions that are involved. Our mail is delivered by letter carriers and not rural delivery, which is 2 different unions. I recently told my mailman they should have us all put in mailboxes so they can drive and deliver instead of 7-8 people walking 22 miles a day, 1 or 2 could drive and deliver it. His response was he is a letter carrier union official and they have been fighting that because it will cut letter carriers out of jobs. So in a nutshell, they know they can be more efficient but it's all about the money....

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Post office is constantly eliminating jobs. The get a retirement and they don't refill the vacancy. Yep, $$$ that's about all there is to it.

They have problems, last week I sent a package on a Friday via priority and it should have been delivered on Saturday.
    It didn't get there until Tues. Kokomo to Indy. It's ridiculous.
    Also, the stopped sorting at Kokomo. I send a piece of mail from Kokomo to Kokomo it gets shipped to Indy (or Ohio) for sorting, then shipped back to Kokomo for delivery.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Post office is constantly eliminating jobs. The get a retirement and they don't refill the vacancy. Yep, $$$ that's about all there is to it.

They have problems, last week I sent a package on a Friday via priority and it should have been delivered on Saturday.
    Also, the stopped sorting at Kokomo. I send a piece of mail from Kokomo to Kokomo it gets shipped to Indy (or Ohio) for sorting, then shipped back to Kokomo for delivery.
    Last month, one of my employees sent an envelope from Lafayette, it took 8 days to get to Goshen.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    The USPS ran a $1B deficit last year (and similar in previous years). Trump has told them to do better, and they are raising rates this year. Probably not enough to cover costs tho.

if you want same service for same price across the country, more money will need to come from somewhere. No doubt USPS can be more efficient, but there are still s lot of mailboxes to cover.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    The USPS ran a $1B deficit last year (and similar in previous years). Trump has told them to do better, and they are raising rates this year. Probably not enough to cover costs tho.

if you want same service for same price across the country, more money will need to come from somewhere. No doubt USPS can be more efficient, but there are still s lot of mailboxes to cover.

You happen to know what the budget for USPS was? How much revenue do they take in a year? I can't help but think a private company could do a bigly better job.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    You happen to know what the budget for USPS was? How much revenue do they take in a year? I can't help but think a private company could do a bigly better job.
    Technically. USPS is supposedly a private entity now, complete with a Federal Police Force? I had a belt shipped from Philly on a Monday, it arrived in Indy on Monday night, shifted between 4 different Indianapolis facilities Tuesday-Friday, transferred to Danville on Saturday, out for delivery on WEDNESDAY of the following week. This was in a priority box?

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Technically. USPS is supposedly a private entity now, complete with a Federal Police Force? I had a belt shipped from Philly on a Monday, it arrived in Indy on Monday night, shifted between 4 different Indianapolis facilities Tuesday-Friday, transferred to Danville on Saturday, out for delivery on WEDNESDAY of the following week. This was in a priority box?

That is what is aggravating. The fact that they could be so much more efficient. I just looked up where they took in 70B last year and lost like 2.5B........50B in employee wages and around 650,000 employees. I can't help but think that UPS or FedEx or even Uber could take in 70B and make a profit.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    That is what is aggravating. The fact that they could be so much more efficient. I just looked up where they took in 70B last year and lost like 2.5B........50B in employee wages and around 650,000 employees. I can't help but think that UPS or FedEx or even Uber could take in 70B and make a profit.

USPS has a requirement to provide mail service to every mailbox in the US...and do it while keeping it cheap. Even UPS hires USPS to do last mile deliveries because it’s cheaprr than doing it themselves. USPS could be as efficient/ profitable as the commercial services but their rates would have to go up. No doubt revamping their pay structure and employee contracts would help, but still rates would jump significantly.

As long as it costs the same to mail a letter from Bugscuffle Texas to Scratchneck Indiana as it does from Bloomington To Indianapolis, USPS is going to have problems making revenue exceed costs.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Our mail generally arrives around 6:30 PM. The sale ads often arrive a day or so after the sale ends. Every post office has signs saying "Now Hiring". I was told by a recently retired letter carrier that the USPS can't find applicants who can pass a drug test. :dunno:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Without going into too much detail on why, lets just say I see A LOT of USPS tracking numbers for small packages and have for years. I'd say since Labor Day things have been FUBAR for one reason or another.

I've seen more mis-directed packages and longer turn-around to get the mis-directed packages back on track. I hate to think what it's going to look like from Black Friday to Christmas Eve.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    giphy.gif

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy

When USPS eliminates jobs it's the carriers or sorters. When that happens they hire 5 new supervisors to smooth out the bumps. It actually screws things up but we all know the boss is always right.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We have had a lot of carriers that are obviously immigrants. There is not a month that goes by that we do not miss at least 1 bill. Always different but at least 1 does not make it to the box.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Our mail generally arrives around 6:30 PM. The sale ads often arrive a day or so after the sale ends. Every post office has signs saying "Now Hiring". I was told by a recently retired letter carrier that the USPS can't find applicants who can pass a drug test. :dunno:

This I can believe.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Want to see (Hear) some jacked up mail carrier stories wait till mom45 sees this thread.

:popcorn:

I could write a book. A book I tell ya!!

Stolen money and packages. Lost mail. Mail in the ditch. Mail in neighbors' boxes. No Mail Tuesday. No Mail Thursday. Packages not delivered because there was no safe place to leave it when I was sitting here waiting for it....only to have the carrier later admit that it was never even in her vehicle when she put the aforementioned note in the box. Mail delivered to my box at 10:30 p.m. on a Saturday. Tax documents found in the ditch well after taxes were filed.

That's just part of it....online complaints have been filed at USPS EVERY SINGLE TIME there is a problem for the past four years...nothing happens.

Today's mail never arrived so maybe we now have No Mail Saturday on our route too!

I would like the drunk woman back. She delivered every day and she was always happy. Too bad she passed away earlier this year because now I have no hope for improvement. We are stuck with Amy!

Amy LOVES me lots. :lmfao:

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I tracked a gun tool that I didn't get that was 'delivered' so I signed up for informed delivery. I get emails of what is being delivered that day. It's a free service.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I have a PO box. I have none of these problems. :popcorn:

I refuse to pay for a PO box so I can have the privilege of driving 15 miles round trip to get my mail. I might be a little stubborn, but I think the mail carrier is paid to do her job and should just do it.

Top Bottom