Registering new truck as a farm vehicle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    So it looks like I'll be trading my 1/2 ton in for a 3/4 ton truck, hopefully sometime next week. I live on 11+ acres and as of today we don't produce anything but eggs and an abundance of chicken poop. I do plan to have a decent sized garden, I'll be planting fruit trees, we plan to have horses and I plan to grow woods (deer) on a few acres over the coming years. I've noticed quite a few trucks around here with farm plates and from what I've been able to discern, registering a truck in this fashion provides some significant savings over a traditional registration. What I haven't been able to find are the requirements to do so. Figured I'd ask here as INGO rarely disappoints.

Do I qualify for a farm registration?
    Should I get one?
    Does a farm truck registration restrict my use of the truck?

I will be hauling a utility trailer with a tractor and JD Gator at times to a few other farms to do food plot work if that makes any difference.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    Found this:

The vehicle may be used for: Transporting the person's own poultry, dairy, livestock, livestock products, timber in its natural state, or farm products to market or another place for sale or processing. ... May not use a vehicle with a "FARM TRUCK" license plate to tow a trailer with a "TOKEN TRAILER" license plate.

Also this if it applies:
    Eliminate Farm Truck 11,000 PlateThe Farm Truck Plate 11,000 pounds will no longer be issued by BMV as of 1-1-17. Customerswill be required to go to a branch and select a greater weight farm plate or change the plate toa non-farm, standard truck plate. The current Farm Truck 11,000 plates will remain valid untiltheir expiration date.Farm Truck 11,000 pound registrations carry an expiration date that is based on the customer’slast name. Therefore, there could still be plates that are valid until December of 2017.

rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    Have you registered yet? You shouldn't have any problem registering it as a farm truck. Just make sure you tell the person at the BMV that it is a farm truck. I thought the person at the BMV understood the truck I was registering was a farm vehicle. She registered it as a commercial vehicle. Took three trips to the BMV to get it straightened out. They were nice enough about it, just took some time.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Ah to have the ability to grow one's own food! One of these days I might have that opportunity if the Lord so wills it!

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Hell, phylo, you may as well get a farm plate.

You're farming more than the Escalade-driving soccer moms I see with farm plates on their vehicles.

-Nate

Top Bottom