• ...and so much more!
  • indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    I'm thinking about getting lasik vision correction surgery. I've worn glasses for 25+ years, and I hate them. The only thing I hate more than glasses in contacts.

I currently wear bifocals, so I understand that I may need readers after the surgery, and I'm fine with that.

So who has had this done? Do you mind sharing how much it cost? Anything I should know before a consultation with an Ophthalmologist?

Thanks!

:ingo:

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I've had it for 8 years now.

I went from 20/80 to 20/10. Still going strong.

Lost a little bit of my night vision.

My shooting actually got worse initially. I never shot with prescription glasses. I could only see my front sight, as my target I couldn't even focus on. Now I can focus on my target as well and I have to force my eyes to focus on the front sight.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I looked into this. There is one thing you should know. You are conscious and awake when the knife slices the patch out of your cornea and the laser begins stippling the surface of your eye. Ugh

I decided my slight vision problem (readers only, far sighted) wasn't nearly bad enough to go there

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I've had it for 8 years now.

I went from 20/80 to 20/10. Still going strong.

Lost a little bit of my night vision.

My shooting actually got worse initially. I never shot with prescription glasses. I could only see my front sight, as my target I couldn't even focus on. Now I can focus on my target as well and I have to force my eyes to focus on the front sight.
    I had both my eyes done at the same time 14 years ago. I experienced exactly this. I would do it all over again if I needed to.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I have a laser/optics degree but microkeratome scare the crap out of me. Nope, nope & nope. I have astigmatism so I'm probably not a candidate for either type of lasik.

Adjustable focus & power glasses, scopes & binos are coming. When? Not sure, but I can't wait.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I went to Price vision group and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Didn't feel a thing during the procedure. Eyes burned a bit for a day afterward, then no problems.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    What is the estimated costs? My wife wants to get it done but getting her to actually give me a price has been hard

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I had it done 17 years ago. Not sure what I was (20/?) but my contacts were -7.50. After my surgery, I ended up 20/15 for 15 years. Unfortunately, I'm back in glasses. I would do it again in a heartbeat, but they told me my eyes were so bad Lasik was a one shot deal for me. Best $1,500 I ever spent.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I had it done 17 years ago. Not sure what I was (20/?) but my contacts were -7.50. After my surgery, I ended up 20/15 for 15 years. Unfortunately, I'm back in glasses. I would do it again in a heartbeat, but they told me my eyes were so bad Lasik was a one shot deal for me. Best $1,500 I ever spent.
    That's not a bad price at all. Definitely let me know IndyGunGuy. I recently spent $240 on contacts and my wife also needs new glasses for late at night. She made the comment she wishes she could just get lasik. I said why dont you? Her excuse was the insurance doesn't cover it. I said and? We could pay cash if it's not too much. Which $1500 today is nothing to have it done.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I have no idea how old anybody discussing this actually is but I'm going to share a quote from my eye Dr. "Lasik is a young person's procedure. Any Dr. who suggests Lasik for an older person is a quack". Yep he used the word quack! We were talking about my wife's eyes. She's 55. YMMV.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I don't know if I can agree with him. My mom was 60 when she had her eye done. Not eyes because she only had one done. Now she has one eye for far and one for near. Not sure, I would do that, but, 12 years later, she's still more than happy.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    That's not a bad price at all. Definitely let me know IndyGunGuy. I recently spent $240 on contacts and my wife also needs new glasses for late at night. She made the comment she wishes she could just get lasik. I said why dont you? Her excuse was the insurance doesn't cover it. I said and? We could pay cash if it's not too much. Which $1500 today is nothing to have it done.

If I could do it again, and it cost $10,000, I would find a way to get it done again. The ability to get out of bed and see clearly would make it worth it.

Also, don't forget to add the cost of cleaners, the added risk of infection from contacts, the discomfort of contacts, glasses, etc. Every day I put my contacts in, I wish I could have Lasik done again.

Squander

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 27, 2014
    South Bend
    If folks could list their age that they got the Lasik done, it would help make the informed decision. Lasik for someone at 20 years old is not the same as Lasik at 50 years old in terms of risk/benefit.

I like glasses, I get eye protection from particles and UV all the time.

Outlaw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Cornfield east of Indy
    I've had mine done for almost 2 years now and I love it. My only complaint is that my eyes are more dry than they used to be. As I understand it, it's a common problem for a small percentage of people.

Edit. I'm 35 years old

Top Bottom