• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    As in anything there are fans of given brands. I have had both leatherman and Gerber. I am a Gerber fan. I have one on my belt everyday if I am dressed to work. It has been priceless.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I own and carry a Gerber multiplier every day,my dad gave it to me as a birthday present, I Asked dad you carry a leatherman, why did you give me a Gerber? He replied “I bought my leather man before I knew how much better the Gerber was”

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Anyone know if Gerber makes a good one? Had a leatheman some years ago and it fell apart, thinking about Christmas gift ideas for my son.

Gerber is all over the board. They have a few models (like the original multiplier) that are decent, and then some of their multi-tools are crap not worth the packaging. I've owned several of their better models and I no longer use any of them.

The best multi-tools are made by Victorinox, Leatherman, and SOG, in that order.

If you want to give your son a gift, I recommend the Leatherman Wave Plus as the baseline for the one-hand openers. If you want bigger, get the Surge. If you like traditional layouts, go for the SuperTool 300 if you want big, and if you want smaller, get the Rebar. If you want one for pocket carry, get the Sidekick.

If you love him a lot, get him a Victorinox! :):

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Anyone know if Gerber makes a good one? Had a leatheman some years ago and it fell apart, thinking about Christmas gift ideas for my son.

Leatherman has a 25 year warranty. They would have likely replaced it no questions asked.

I've owned a few Gerbers, and my Leatherman Wave beats them hands down. It's a far better multitool than any Gerber I've owned. I know some of them are good, but the ones I owned weren't all that.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have a Gerber that I have had for close to 20 years. Zero complaints. I also have a Leatherman that has treated me well. If I had to choose I would take the Gerber.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Love my victorinox, i carried it everyday for a long time. I liked it so much I retired it before I lost it.
    I got a leatherman wave about 10 yrs ago. It became my EDC for work. I recently broke the screw driver. Sent it in for repair/replace they sent me the newest style wave

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I carry a SOG Powerassist every day at work, has performed great so far. I like the gear system in the pliers that doubles the clamping force for some rather stubborn nuts.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I prefer Leatherman, and they are good tools. I honestly think that my preference is based on upbringing though, I've been carrying knives and pocket tools since I was young and anytime someone needed a multitool I was asked "Can I borrow your Leatherman?" regardless of the brand I actually had. In my eyes that meant that Leathermans were "the" tool to have and always made me want one. My cousin was a diesel mechanic in the National Guard and he and his buddies love their Gerbers, especially the one-handed ones. For anything tool related, I'd trust what rhino​ says.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I can’t speak to which is better, Gerber or Leatherman. I only know what I have and I’ve only had a Leatherman. The same Leatherman for the past 20 years.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    You get what you pay for either way. There are decent Gerbers and junk Gerbers.

My leatherman Surge is built like a tank. My Rev, not so much.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Im on my 2nd leatherman. I snapped the first one using the screwdriver as a prybar. Bad idea. Lol i have had this current one for about 5 years of hard use. Im an electrician but i was an industrial mechanic before and since i got out of the corps. I trust my leatherman. Although the gerber ihave borrowed was nice.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Im on my 2nd leatherman. I snapped the first one using the screwdriver as a prybar. Bad idea. Lol i have had this current one for about 5 years of hard use. Im an electrician but i was an industrial mechanic before and since i got out of the corps. I trust my leatherman. Although the gerber ihave borrowed was nice.

I broke 2 leathermans. Yes I was pushing them. I always push. I broke a Gerber doing the same thing. Pushing it. I just prefer the Gerbers for some reason.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I used to carry Gerbers because my occupation and hobbys called for pliars more than the internal tools when I had one hand free and everyone I associated with back then did too. The 400 series are light enough it's harder to flick the pliars out. 600's fine, 800's more like a leatherman, fold open to get the pliars. They work and did what I expected them too. That was also when leatherman only had the classic.

I carry a leatherman now, used to be a wave, recently picked up a surge. Like it a lot but my work and hobbies have changed.

Gerber's expanded into the cheap knives line in a bad way, assuming you're looking at the better tools, both are great tools, both will break if used improperly. I think leatherman are much more refined (bright, finished, polished) while gerbers finish is a bit more industrial (cut them out, bend the flats to the right shape, assemble, ship) and the demographics I see carrying them kind of reflect that too. When I worked in theatre and in the auto shop, gerbers were the thing to have (course back then leatherman was just starting to get anything but the classic). Around engineers and clean shops (like cabinetmakers), I see a lot more leatherman tools.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I used to carry Gerbers because my occupation and hobbys called for pliars more than the internal tools when I had one hand free and everyone I associated with back then did too. The 400 series are light enough it's harder to flick the pliars out. 600's fine, 800's more like a leatherman, fold open to get the pliars. They work and did what I expected them too. That was also when leatherman only had the classic.

I carry a leatherman now, used to be a wave, recently picked up a surge. Like it a lot but my work and hobbies have changed.

Gerber's expanded into the cheap knives line in a bad way, assuming you're looking at the better tools, both are great tools, both will break if used improperly. I think leatherman are much more refined (bright, finished, polished) while gerbers finish is a bit more industrial (cut them out, bend the flats to the right shape, assemble, ship) and the demographics I see carrying them kind of reflect that too. When I worked in theatre and in the auto shop, gerbers were the thing to have (course back then leatherman was just starting to get anything but the classic). Around engineers and clean shops (like cabinetmakers), I see a lot more leatherman tools.

Not sure how to take this...:dunno:

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I had a Gerber Multiplier 400 and loved it until I left it in a customer's car... my only complaint was no pocket clip.

I replaced it with a Leatherman Wingman which I like better because pocket clip and knife is usable from closed.

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    Soooo...I'm going off the beaten path a bit. I was wanting a multi-tool, but couldn't decide on which one. Then I came across this and I love it. It works well for most things, without the bulk of a multitool. Now, if you are needing pliers all day long this isn't for you, but if pliers are more of a random thing, then check this thing out:

https://smile.amazon.com/Kershaw-Mu...542817702&sr=8-1&keywords=kershaw+select+fire

Top Bottom