• ...and so much more!
  • Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    This probably won't interest everyone. But those of us who like to restore and repair older things might enjoy it. I personally was fascinated by the process and end result.

Enjoy....

[video=youtube;U2jNeObHnZY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2jNeObHnZY[/video]

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I ran into that the other day, I've got a Wilton bullet nose from 1941 that I picked up recently and will be "restoring ". Probably won't be that pretty but I love repairing and reusing vs tosing and replacing.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    That's a really nice result, but super laborious. Any idea why a guy wouldn't just power wash it, soak it in a bucket of Diesel for a day or two, and then execute the restoration?

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    The guy obviously enjoys the process. It is almost an art form. I don't have his skills and certainly understand someone suggesting different or easier processes but, there is no arguing with the results. If you get down to brass tacks going to Lowes and buying a new vise is the easiest way to get (nearly) the same results.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    The guy obviously enjoys the process. It is almost an art form. I don't have his skills and certainly understand someone suggesting different or easier processes but, there is no arguing with the results. If you get down to brass tacks going to Lowes and buying a new vise is the easiest way to get (nearly) the same results.

His results are fantastic. I didn't intend to diminish that at all. I personally just don't like working harder than I have too and was wondering if I'm just not understanding what he was doing.

As far as buying new, I'd take an 80 year old piece of iron any day over anything modern. They didn't even properly know how to engineer things back then so "more metal" was the correct answer, never mind that they'd never even dreamed of the words "cost reduction" in 1940.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    His results are fantastic. I didn't intend to diminish that at all. I personally just don't like working harder than I have too and was wondering if I'm just not understanding what he was doing.

As far as buying new, I'd take an 80 year old piece of iron any day over anything modern. They didn't even properly know how to engineer things back then so "more metal" was the correct answer, never mind that they'd never even dreamed of the words "cost reduction" in 1940.

I definitely agree. I will take something old and built like a tank over something made in the last 30 years or so. Night and day difference. :yesway:

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Looks beautiful. Really should look into electrolysis tank. No elbow grease required. It’s also an easy way to restore cast iron skillets and dutchovens.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    If your goal is to have something functional that you display on your coffee table than it was an excellent restoration. If your end goal is to have a vise to use in your shop 75 percent of what he did was unnecessary and much of his work would quickly be undone by actually using the vise.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    My son and I did a vice and a mid 50's Delta drill press several years back. They belonged to his grandfather and great grandfather.

We used electrolysis for both. The vise was a mid sized vise with a early 1900's patent date. It was rusted tight and was well used (pecker tracks everywhere. But not broken. It was painted semi gloss black and is now used all the time.

The drill press looked worse then the vice. But it turned out the best. 95% of the paint is still there. All the metal pieces came out of the tank great. Some steel wool and oil polished it up great. It is used all the time too.

It was a fun project with my son and I get a kick out of turning trash in to something treasured. It's never a wasted time for me. And I love watching restoration videos on YouTube.

OP, thanks for sharing.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    My son and I did a vice and a mid 50's Delta drill press several years back. They belonged to his grandfather and great grandfather.

We used electrolysis for both. The vise was a mid sized vise with a early 1900's patent date. It was rusted tight and was well used (pecker tracks everywhere. But not broken. It was painted semi gloss black and is now used all the time.

The drill press looked worse then the vice. But it turned out the best. 95% of the paint is still there. All the metal pieces came out of the tank great. Some steel wool and oil polished it up great. It is used all the time too.

It was a fun project with my son and I get a kick out of turning trash in to something treasured. It's never a wasted time for me. And I love watching restoration videos on YouTube.

OP, thanks for sharing.

I'm not sure I want to know what the vice was used FOR... :wrongdoor:Did you have to use ultraviolet light to see them? :):

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County

OP, thanks for sharing.

That is really awesome. If you get a chance, please post some pictures of the vise and drill press. Sounds like a fun project. :yesway:

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    This should clear everything up.....I think vise is American spelling and vice is English spelling. Both being acceptable.

getty-vice-and-vise-58279ff43df78c6f6a5291ec.jpg

Top Bottom