• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeepfanatic

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2018
    Plainfield
    If you invested $5/day starting at age 18 and kept it in the market for 50 years you would have $851,000 assuming the market average yield of 7%.

If you invested $10/day under the same conditions you're now talking $1.67 million.

Everyone thinks you have to invest a ton of money to have any yield but in all reality time is your biggest asset.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If you invested $5/day starting at age 18 and kept it in the market for 50 years you would have $851,000 assuming the market average yield of 7%.

If you invested $10/day under the same conditions you're now talking $1.67 million.

Everyone thinks you have to invest a ton of money to have any yield but in all reality time is your biggest asset.
    Who has $3600/year to spare at age 18?

Jeepfanatic

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2018
    Plainfield

Don't drink Starbucks or energy drinks. Sacrifice your smart phone for a flip phone. Eat meals at home. Pack your lunch. Get a second job and invest even more money.

There are a lot of paths to get there but not if you're too busy looking at all of the bumps in the road.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Is life all about money?

I invest and spend on "bumps in the road" because I get enjoyment out of it. Spend your whole life making and saving money, die before you get a chance to enjoy it? No thanks.

But like I said, I do invest some as well.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Is life all about money?

I invest and spend on "bumps in the road" because I get enjoyment out of it. Spend your whole life making and saving money, die before you get a chance to enjoy it? No thanks.

We had some decent investments/savings. Funny how life and missing a few key indicators will stuff all that down the drain.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    We had some decent investments/savings. Funny how life and missing a few key indicators will stuff all that down the drain.

Yep. Same with my parents.

On the bright side, I'm trying to learn from their experience (and mistakes). I'm more diversified and I keep a closer eye on things. On the down side, I'll never have anywhere near what they had available to save and invest (unless I win a lottery).

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Honestly lots of people. A single guy in the military is a good example.
    I'm going to try and talk my kids into holding off on marriage until they are 21 and deffinately kids. Statistics show that if they wait till 21 they succeed much better.
    I'm not saying that those who didnt wait failed or are wrong. Obviously there are always exceptions to numbers. But I think we all understand how those early years can be crazy and less distractions as possible are better for saving and for careers

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Is life all about money?

$5 a day is nothing. That's skipping a bigmac not missing a date or a concert. If you's a broke ho that cant save 5 bucks you better get a second job kid.
    Not you jagee, im talking to the 18 year old kid whose broke, lol

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    $5 a day is nothing. That's skipping a bigmac not missing a date or a concert. If you's a broke ho that cant save 5 bucks you better get a second job kid.
    Not you jagee, im talking to the 18 year old kid whose broke, lol

Well, in my own defense I always had a hotrod so yeah, I was a broke Ho fo sho.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Yeah this is true. A 7% average for a lifetime is a good conservative number to bet on. You should yield much higher even with the lows.
    I lost a lot of money for a young guy back when **** crashed around 11 or so years ago, but I've made it back and much more since.
    Also people who are young versus those that are getting older need to diversify their portfolios differently. And remember its never too late to start investing for your retirement. Something is better than nothing. It's an obvious saying but people always forget it. Just like tax stamps. People put them off because of the time it takes but 6 months later they still gripe about the time it takes. You can either retire with cash in your hand or someone elses dick In your hand because you didnt prepare.

Top Bottom