Kroger brisket $2.49 until next Wed. Annnnnd GO!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Still have a freezer full from when they had it at $1.99. Honestly? By the time I trimmed off most of the fat, the "real" cost of the meat was probably twice that. Now that I've done it once, I probably won't get any more. Really wish I'd only bought one. Gonna take me a long time to use up what I have.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Still have a freezer full from when they had it at $1.99. Honestly? By the time I trimmed off most of the fat, the "real" cost of the meat was probably twice that. Now that I've done it once, I probably won't get any more. Really wish I'd only bought one. Gonna take me a long time to use up what I have.

I think the fat on brisket is part of the “bargain”, so to speak. If slow cooking it over a long time (smoke/barbecue), the fat helps keep the meat from drying out as much and adds flavor IMO. Had you not gotten the sale price, I think you’d have paid something like three times as much for the same brisket.

Not saying you should run out and buy it, but if you do like brisket, it’s a good deal. Just realize you are buying brisket, not a great steak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I think the fat on brisket is part of the “bargain”, so to speak. If slow cooking it over a long time (smoke/barbecue), the fat helps keep the meat from drying out as much and adds flavor IMO. Had you not gotten the sale price, I think you’d have paid something like three times as much for the same brisket.

Not saying you should run out and buy it, but if you do like brisket, it’s a good deal. Just realize you are buying brisket, not a great steak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh I did like it, but no moreso than say, a nice sirloin tip roast, which when you figure in the waste associated with the brisket, is about the same price, maybe cheaper (when it's on sale at least). I just had always heard how great brisket was, and I'd never tried it other than corned beef brisket, and I went a little overboard with my buying. :):

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I got it last time it was on sale and it smoked up real nice. Even though they were just flats and on the small side.

Still...a 7 lb flat is enough to feed the family for nearly a week.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area

Trimming off most of the fat is normal. It's a balance of protecting the meat while allowing smoke to access it. Go watch Aaron Franklin trim briskets on YT. He is brutal and he pays over $100 ea for his packers.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I have a little over 200 lbs. of it in the freezer here. I told the meat manager at our local Kroger that I'll buy another 200 lbs. if he can do it for $1.99 again. (I work at a youth camp, so we make close to 20k meals per year.)

Didn't happen this time. Oh well.

455 Beretta

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 20, 2013
    WLaf

Put your frozen packers on here as WTS, ftf only, lol. I bet you get some of your $ back...if it’s not too old.

kirtar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2017
    West Lafayette
    Hmmm I can still get 0.75/lb short ribs and 1.75/lb chuck roast locally too (not kroger). Might get some of those too since they're already frozen so I won't have to deal with making sure they freeze well.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Hopefully you all will keep us informed about in or out of stock conditions?

Like others, I still have $1.99 brisket in the freezer. I'd really like for it go go out of stock so I could have a rain check in my pocket for the future though.

So far I've done them sous vide and pressure cooked in the instant pot. Both good and certainly different.

Thinking I'm about to head in to do some brisket "steak and eggs" here in a bit.

FYI - those who are on a low carb, high fat routine think that fat is just a bonus. I've been rendering the fat down and using it to cook/season many other foods. Used it to cook veggies, eggs, chicken and fish. :twocents:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom