• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Looks like hernia surgery this Monday. Lower abdomen/inguinal. They are going to install some mesh arthroscopically. Also sounds like robots will be involved. As our youngest said when he found out, "I, for one, welcome our robot overlords." Bracing for all the horror stories from you folks. I would say "no unhelpful comments please," but this is INGO after all.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Robots??? Is your groin too small for surgeon hands?

i think you mean laparoscopically. Arthro is in a joint. I for one would welcome a little groin swelling.

Good luck. As was said, rest up. Don’t want that mesh getting nasty.

edit: wolfhound... thanks for making me feel bad :):

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Robots??? Is your groin too small for surgeon hands?

i think you mean laparoscopically. Arthro is in a joint. I for one would welcome a little groin swelling.

Good luck. As was said, rest up. Don’t want that mesh getting nasty.

edit: wolfhound... thanks for making me feel bad :):

Well Doc, they do say laughter is the best medicine. :)

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Well Doc, they do say laughter is the best medicine. :)

Laughter is a definite no-no after this surgery, so don't have any of your funny friends over. Also coughing. Don't do it. Otherwise it's not too bad; a good excuse to lay around a few days. Don't be afraid of taking the pain meds; they help you heal. Also, it doesn't feel like a bee sting unless you move, so don't do that either :)

I had it done a couple years ago, and now feel spry as a rutting buck (almost).

Good luck with it.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    My wife had to put up with days of "2 below" jokes......

"What's the weather like outside, the temperature?"

"Outside? About 25 degrees but in my britches it's gotten down to 2 below..."

"Hey honey...Guess where Elvis was born?"

"Stop it..."

"Twobelow Mississippi...Get it???"

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I made the mistake of walking thru the surgery area the other day, one of the nurses I know spotted me and came to the door to talk for a minute. They had a patient prepped for for a hernia repair. . . . .I don't EVER want to see that again!:wrongdoor:

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I had double hernia surgery a few years ago (3 or 4, can't remember). My doc used to do laparoscopy but went back to good ole incision work with the scalpel since the data seemed to suggest that the repairs worked better that way and rehab was really no different.

I popped up after surgery, and they told me if I could pee I could go home. No sweat! They also told me to walk, so it was a nice summer day and I decided to walk around the neighborhood. My usual route takes me about one mile. Well I got about 1/2 mile away, or exactly the furthest point and that crap hit me all at once!

I had to walk the rest of the way like Tim Conway doing Dorf. Little tiny baby steps. That .5 mile took me about 2 hrs. Of course Mrs. ATM never wondered, never came looking and I didn't take my phone.

And you will love the double reverse Mohawk cut they are going to give you. Felt like a 6th grader again!

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    Pray that you recovery quickly. I had both sides done at different times, over 10 years ago - no robots then. My first surgeon was a young female, just out of school - great job, very neat incision. About 5 years later I had the other side done by a different surgeon, a mid-aged man. Sloppy job. All went well, but it healed slower looked rough for a very long time. The female surgeon said I had a big one, but she handled it just fine. (no lie)

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Went under the robotic knife at about 7:30 this morning. All went smoothly, but the anesthesiologist was a Bama fan. That almost didn't work out (O -H...). He did talk about his dog getting poisoned by a buckeye, though. The IV was not fun - I don't like needles (espacially big ones). Somewhat abnormal for someone who gave himself allergy shots for years. The robot was all wrapped up in plastic when I got to the OR - a DaVinci.

Woke up in recovery with nothing to do but watch the monitors. BP was 115 /70. Turns out it was a double hernia, so they repaired them both. Three small belly incisions with no stitches. Was home before noon. The left side was quite a bit more painful than the right, though the right was more damaged. I won't be skipping any pain meds for a few days. No trouble with eating or bathroom breaks, though saline and RInger's IVs caused a lot of bathroom visits. Doing the Caesarean Shuffle for now.

Not something I would choose to experience, but interesting nonetheless.

Thanks for the straight dope and prayers.

Top Bottom