• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Quick question to the folks that might be in the know here. About a week and a half ago, my son was hit from behind while sitting at a stop light. It’s been about 10 days and he still has some lower back pain from the accident. I think that his car will be totaled even though the damage was not that bad overall. The vehicle that hit him was almost certainly totaled with a lot of front end damage, but my son’s 11 year old BMW did a remarkable job of absorbing the impact. With a crushed quarter panel and the battery box pushed into the tire, it’s going to be totaled when the adjuster looks at it I think.

It was a company van that hit him and I’ve been dealing with that companies insurance, but they have been pretty slow to respond. The holiday played into that I’m sure though.

Question is, is this a situation that would make sense to contact a lawyer? The reason I ask is that he’s been totally cleared of fault and has been dealing with a loss of the vehicle for over 10 days now while still dealing with neck and back pain. The only thing the other insurance company has offered to date is to send an adjuster out to give an estimate on the damage to the vehicle. I’ve not been in this type of situation before and am not sure of the best course of action.

Any thoughts on how to handle this?

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I went through the same thing a coule of years ago. My wife wasn't hurt "enough" for a lawyer to be interested in taking the case, so I had to sue the driver (insurance company) in small claims court. Good luck.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    1st....did he go to the ER and get checked out. If not he screwed up. Ask me how I know.
    2nd.....yes. He should have a rental car on their dime until his car has been dealt with. Do not give these thieves the slightest break.
    3rd....call them and state your intentions. Also, get the boy to a doctor like yesterday.

People, all of you, if you get hit like this take the ambulance ride. At best it will be nothing. You need this to be documented.

Ask me how I know. Go ahead.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    It wouldn't hurt to inquire. If he hasn't gone to doctor, I think he should just to make sure he is ok and also make sure everything is documented. If you go to the doctor after obtaining a lawyer, it may look like you trying to pad the claim. The longer you wait, the harder it will be.

I have absolutely zero experience or knowledge in this area.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    IME, it’s best to go thru your own insurance company. The downside is you have to pay the deductible. But it’s less headaches all around.

I will never deal with “the other guy’s” insurance company ever again.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Thanks guys. He didn’t do a trip to the ER, but did see a doctor the next morning. Anyone have a lawyer that they’d recommend for this type of thing?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Thanks guys. He didn’t do a trip to the ER, but did see a doctor the next morning. Anyone have a lawyer that they’d recommend for this type of thing?
    [video=youtube;wTuP83UiW6w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTuP83UiW6w[/video]
    [video=youtube;G3qqxFZuScY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3qqxFZuScY[/video]
    [video=youtube;HR9xLKyb3LQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR9xLKyb3LQ[/video]

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville

Keep meticulous records and medical expenses - include mileage, time off of work, document limited activities, personal time to manage this unfortunate accident.......document everything. Start a file. Keep it up to date. Go back to doctor if it is not better in a reasonable amount of time. NEVER sign anything from their insurance or accept anything until you are ready to settle.

IMO - see an attorney.

John3354

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 29, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Question is, is this a situation that would make sense to contact a lawyer?

In general, if you are asking yourself or others this question for the first time in your life, you probably should. If you ask yourself or others this question frequently...you probably shouldn't. If you are not the litigious type then you should have talked to a lawyer already.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I wouldn’t get one at this point. You have the property damage claim and a separate injury claim.
    Call the adjuster and tell him you need a rental. If he refuses, ask for a reason. File a complaint with the dept of insurance if you aren’t satisfied.
    Do you have collision coverage? Rental?

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Can’t your son go to his insurance company and get them involved? They can bring in a lawyer if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    First of all, my wife has recently gone through a similar issue. While sitting at a stop sign a little over 2 weeks ago, her van was rearended which ended up totaling the van (there is a thread on this elsewhere).

We reported the incident to our insurer and, of course, you should always promptly report the accident to your insurer. Our insurer took over contact with the other driver's insurer and they (Geico) accepted liability for the accident immediately. They informed us that the van was totaled Friday, and the check was in our pocket Monday morning.

As to the injury, the most important thing right now is for him to get the care he needs. Err on the side of getting him checked out and at least recorded in the medical records that he has complaints from the accident. Make sure your insurer and the other driver's insurer are aware of his physical complaint and that he is treating. Generally speaking, there is Medical Payments converage that will pay any medical bills regardless of fault. Your insurer and the other insurer should work out between them who will pay the Med pay.

As for possible lawsuits should the other driver's insurer decide to not play nice, I would suggest a lawyer. There are plenty of competent PI lawyers, but I would prefer to choose one from referral rather than billboard, phone book cover or TV commercial....though these are some pretty good TV commercials.

[video=youtube;GmZiqwRnwtM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmZiqwRnwtM[/video]

[video=youtube;jr2gdPY-88w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr2gdPY-88w[/video]

Last edited:

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    I would also engage his (your?) insurance and let them handle it. They should be providing the rental (if you have that coverage) and going after the other insurance for repayment. I was nearly t-boned years ago by a woman running a red light and paid nothing after letting my insurance handle it. Of course that meant they let the dealership use some massive machine to straighten out my car, but, other than the dome light coming loose once in a while, it drove fine afterwards.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Oh, and regardless of whether he has rental coverage, if it is a clear liability case against the other driver (which a rear-ender is usually assumed to be), the other insurance company should pay for a rental until his car is repaired or settlement for the damage is completed. That is part of property damage coverage for the other driver because it is a value lost to your son due to the accident. In that case, it doesn't matter whether there is rental coverage or not.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Oh, and regardless of whether he has rental coverage, if it is a clear liability case against the other driver (which a rear-ender is usually assumed to be), the other insurance company should pay for a rental until his car is repaired or settlement for the damage is completed. That is part of property damage coverage for the other driver because it is a value lost to your son due to the accident. In that case, it doesn't matter whether there is rental coverage or not.
    I have heard of dimunition of value claims also :-)

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    IME, it’s best to go thru your own insurance company. The downside is you have to pay the deductible. But it’s less headaches all around.

I will never deal with “the other guy’s” insurance company ever again.

This! I got rear ended by a lady several years ago and her insurance company did everything they could to **** me. Fortunately my homeowners insurance company was the same as the lady's auto insurance so I called my agent and told him to get it straightened out or I'd cancel my homeowners policy. He called me back within an hour and told me that my concerns would be handled to my satisfaction and they were!

Yes I realize he was talking about using your auto insurance to pay for your damages. Just an anecdotal story about poor customer service. On a positive note your company may go after the guilty persons deductible after the fact.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    As for possible lawsuits should the other driver's insurer decide to not play nice, I would suggest a lawyer. There are plenty of competent PI lawyers, but I would prefer to choose one from referral rather than billboard, phone book cover or TV commercial....though these are some pretty good TV commercials.

[video=youtube;GmZiqwRnwtM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmZiqwRnwtM[/video]

[video=youtube;jr2gdPY-88w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr2gdPY-88w[/video]

I can't think of the guys name right now but in our somewhat annual trips to the Gulf coast there is an attorney down south that starting around southern Tennessee you start seeing his billboards along the interstate. On our last trip we counted over 100 of them from southern TN to Panama City. The guy must be ROLLING in coin!

Top Bottom