• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2Lucky

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2018
    Notre Dame
    Has anyone here tested there blood lead levels? Kind of a concern with shooting and reloading. I got tested but waiting for the results to come back...........

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    A few years ago a friend of mine who shoots competitively (and reloads) was diagnosed with elevated levels of lead. He had to take some time off from shooting to lower the level. He was also told by the Dr to wash with cold water after handling ammo. The reasoning was to prevent hot water from opening the pores and allowing lead to be more easily absorbed. I'm not sure this could be a problem for me but good to be aware of

Last edited by a moderator:

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    A few years ago a friend of mine who shoots competitively (and reloads) was diagnosed with elevated levels of lead. He had to take some time off from shooting to lower the level. He was also told by the Dr to was with cold water after handling ammo. The reasoning was to prevent hot water from opening the pores and allowing lead to be more easily absorbed. I'm not sure this could be a problem for me but good to be aware of

Your note doesn’t say what he was to do with cold water. Wash? Shower? Bathe? Swim?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    I worked in a Lead Foundry many years ago and I had my blood checked ( By the company ) every 2 weeks to check for elevated levels .
    I worked in many areas of production and was exposed to lead dust , raw lead in casting and the fumes from casting .
    We were told that the casting process was the highest risk through inhalation ( thru an ill fitted respirator or bad habits ) . Not so much as touching it , but should still practice hand washing practices .( Smokers always seemed to have higher counts also . )
    Some people came in off the streets as new hires with high lead counts .....some they said was possible thru leaded gasoline .

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Worked with various lead compounds my entire life and cast bullets just as long. Wash your hands and be aware of what you are doing and you should have no issues. Remember every highway in the country is government mandated to be painted with lead chromate, next time big media complains about your fishing sinkers.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I worked in a Lead Foundry many years ago and I had my blood checked ( By the company ) every 2 weeks to check for elevated levels .
    I worked in many areas of production and was exposed to lead dust , raw lead in casting and the fumes from casting .
    We were told that the casting process was the highest risk through inhalation ( thru an ill fitted respirator or bad habits ) . Not so much as touching it , but should still practice hand washing practices .( Smokers always seemed to have higher counts also . )
    Some people came in off the streets as new hires with high lead counts .....some they said was possible thru leaded gasoline .

You didnt happen to work at the battery plant that was in Plainfield did you? I worked for them for about a week in the area where we melted lead and then made plates. That was the worst job I ever had. Had to take like 2-3 showers a day, clothes worn in factory had to stay in factory, blood draw every 2 weeks when a bus showed up for draw, etc.

The thing that blew me away though, was like my 3rd day was a Friday and there was a blood draw that day. I am doing my job and melting lead and all these guys kept coming in and lifting their masks and huffing lead fumes. I was blown away! I ask what are you fools doing? They inform me it is blood draw day, if you inhale lead fumes for about 2-3 minutes level would be high enough for 3 days off paid! I quit that job a few days later....bunch of idiots.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    You didnt happen to work at the battery plant that was in Plainfield did you? I worked for them for about a week in the area where we melted lead and then made plates. That was the worst job I ever had. Had to take like 2-3 showers a day, clothes worn in factory had to stay in factory, blood draw every 2 weeks when a bus showed up for draw, etc.

The thing that blew me away though, was like my 3rd day was a Friday and there was a blood draw that day. I am doing my job and melting lead and all these guys kept coming in and lifting their masks and huffing lead fumes. I was blown away! I ask what are you fools doing? They inform me it is blood draw day, if you inhale lead fumes for about 2-3 minutes level would be high enough for 3 days off paid! I quit that job a few days later....bunch of idiots.

Yes . I worked at RSR/Quemetco Co. .......1979-81 . I never purposely inhaled lead to get days off ( Definitely Idiots ) but i guess I had to be somewhat of an idiot to work there for 3 years . :rolleyes:
    I was young and dumb. I actually had to wear monitors on occasions to see what levels of contaminants that I was exposed to ( Including "Inorganic Arsenic " a Cancer Hazard ) every single time , the limits I was exposed to were exceeded . I signed the paper that I was aware of the findings .
    Not sure what years you worked there , but that seems to be the mindset of today ........" I`ll do anything for some free days off ."
    Agree......worst job ever !

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Yes . I worked at RSR/Quemetco Co. .......1979-81 . I never purposely inhaled lead to get days off ( Definitely Idiots ) but i guess I had to be somewhat of an idiot to work there for 3 years . :rolleyes:
    I was young and dumb. I actually had to wear monitors on occasions to see what levels of contaminants that I was exposed to ( Including "Inorganic Arsenic " a Cancer Hazard ) every single time , the limits I was exposed to were exceeded . I signed the paper that I was aware of the findings .
    Not sure what years you worked there , but that seems to be the mindset of today ........" I`ll do anything for some free days off ."
    Agree......worst job ever !

Yes sir. I worked there in 1987 I think it was, I was like 18 or 19. I actually think I lost money working for them....I had to leave a $70-80 pair of boots behind and never got reimbursed.

Top Bottom