• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    I had to make a '911' call Saturday night about 10PM. I was on my way to pick up a few items for my wife at Walmart on Lafayette Rd here in Indy. I was just approaching the red light at 47th and Lafayette Rd, when I heard gunshots, which at first sounded like a tire losing it's tread and slapping on the road. When I stopped at the light in the southbound lanes, I looked over at the cars next to me, and heard the sound again. Definitely gunfire! I looked over at the Shell gas station there at the intersection, and heard even more shots. Then I saw a white guy exit his car (at the pumps), and he kneeled down behind his front fender and started shooting back toward the front of the store. He fired at least 15 shots. Total shots I heard was about 25-30 rounds

The light changed, and I was eager to get out of the line of fire from the 'first' shooter (whom I never saw), as he was shooting out toward the street/intersection. When I got parked at Walmart, I called 911..... who of course put me on hold for over 4 minutes. I know you are supposed to stay on the line once you call 911, but I hung up after almost 5 minutes, w/ no operator coming on. They called me back, and I told them about the shoot-out at the Shell. I gave them all the pertinent info, and asked if it had already been reported. He replied "No."

I went ahead and got my items at the store, and drove back past the station on my way out. ELEVEN IMPD cars were now at the gas station, and surrounding an ambulance stopped on Lafayette Rd, about an eighth mile north of the intersection. Don't know if it was a personal dispute or an attempted robbery, or what.

You may see a news story about it on the local Indy news later this morning.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I know I'm armchair quarterbacking, but I've planned to (carefully) run a red light if the need should arise. Were there cars ahead of you that prevented you from leaving?

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Looks like you learned you lesson about going to Wal Mart for the wife it was karma.

I was told in another thread Indy is a pretty safe place?

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    I know I'm armchair quarterbacking, but I've planned to (carefully) run a red light if the need should arise. Were there cars ahead of you that prevented you from leaving?

Yes, there was one car ahead of me, and we were in the left turn lane.

Channel 8 News had about a ten-second piece on this in their 6AM news. Said police told them it was a shoot-out between two private parties, and didn't involve the business there. One shooter was hit in the ankle (?) and they were looking for the other shooter (possibly the guy I saw exit his car and fire shots across his hood).

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Looks like you learned you lesson about going to Wal Mart for the wife it was karma.

it is, as with other cities, things of this nature are rarely random and isolated to specific locations and times. The OP just got lucky, time to buy a lottery ticket too.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area

Call me paranoid ......but I always leave at least a car`s length in front of me at a Red Light just in case . I do find myself planning on which car may be easier to shove to the side if they don`t or can`t move if need be . :):

UTL

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2015
    Central Indiana

Dont use illegal drugs, dont buy illegal drugs, dont rob people with illegal drugs. If you stick to those rules you have a much higher probability of not being shot in Indy.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Dont use illegal drugs, dont buy illegal drugs, dont rob people with illegal drugs. If you stick to those rules you have a much higher probability of not being shot in Indy.

This ^^^ and I would add don't deal illegal drugs and as much as possible don't associate yourself with people who are invovled in such activities.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I had to make a '911' call Saturday night about 10PM. I was on my way to pick up a few items for my wife at Walmart on Lafayette Rd here in Indy. I was just approaching the red light at 47th and Lafayette Rd, when I heard gunshots, which at first sounded like a tire losing it's tread and slapping on the road. When I stopped at the light in the southbound lanes, I looked over at the cars next to me, and heard the sound again. Definitely gunfire! I looked over at the Shell gas station there at the intersection, and heard even more shots. Then I saw a white guy exit his car (at the pumps), and he kneeled down behind his front fender and started shooting back toward the front of the store. He fired at least 15 shots. Total shots I heard was about 25-30 rounds

The light changed, and I was eager to get out of the line of fire from the 'first' shooter (whom I never saw), as he was shooting out toward the street/intersection. When I got parked at Walmart, I called 911..... who of course put me on hold for over 4 minutes. I know you are supposed to stay on the line once you call 911, but I hung up after almost 5 minutes, w/ no operator coming on. They called me back, and I told them about the shoot-out at the Shell. I gave them all the pertinent info, and asked if it had already been reported. He replied "No."

I went ahead and got my items at the store, and drove back past the station on my way out. ELEVEN IMPD cars were now at the gas station, and surrounding an ambulance stopped on Lafayette Rd, about an eighth mile north of the intersection. Don't know if it was a personal dispute or an attempted robbery, or what.

You may see a news story about it on the local Indy news later this morning.

So did you ever bother to come tell the officers on scene what you witnessed? Or was it not important enough?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So did you ever bother to come tell the officers on scene what you witnessed? Or was it not important enough?
    Honestly, I didnt think about this either until Frank mentioned it.

Probably would be a good idea. Depending on what you witnessed, it could keep a good guy out of jail. Or better yet, put a bad guy behind bars. (for the prosecutor to probably revolving door them back out on the street, but we would be safe for a day or so. Or maybe a couple hours at least)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Call me paranoid ......but I always leave at least a car`s length in front of me at a Red Light just in case . I do find myself planning on which car may be easier to shove to the side if they don`t or can`t move if need be . :):

So you are the guy that causes me to miss the darn light.....:(

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So you are the guy that causes me to miss the darn light.....:(
    its not a problem as long as they are heads-up and start moving immediately. that extra half car length wont matter unless they sit and wait for the guy in front to move before they take their foot off the brake.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    its not a problem as long as they are heads-up and start moving immediately. that extra half car length wont matter unless they sit and wait for the guy in front to move before they take their foot off the brake.

Oh yes it does when they blow the light and I am sitting. 1 car length man. Just give me a car length especially in the left turn lane.

Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    I know that both sides of dispatch are woefully understaffed and underpaid. Another thought is that there were several shootings on the east side last night. perhaps resources were directed to other areas. If i am thinking correctly.... all calls go to the police side of dispatch first. it can take several minutes for a message to be passed to the other side of the hall, EMS. While they are doing the best job with what they have, often the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing

Top Bottom