• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Has anyone tried setting fence posts in gravel rather than concrete. It appears that our clay rich soil here in Indiana would provide a good foundation for using compacted gravel rather than concrete to set posts. Not messing with concrete and the much better drainage characteristics of gravel make it seem pretty appealing. I'm going to be installing a lot of fencing next year and don't want to ever have to do it again. I put up a privacy fence at our last home and after 13 years half of the posts were not in very good shape and had to be reinforced.

Anyone used gravel rather than concrete? Any better options? I'm considering having round fence posts driven into the ground for our pasture but want to do the yard fence myself if I can to save some money.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    1 foot of 53's in the bottom of the hole does just fine, followed with the clay you just dug.

Using good treated posts is the key. Unfortunately creosote-tarred cedar is no longer an option, but we have pulled posts on the farm that were every bit of 50 years old, and still reasonably solid below ground. They LOOK like crap, but the fence was still standing.

-Nate

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    Set utility poles without cement for years. Used gravel if hole was really wet. My corner posts for horse pasture and work area were cemented but rest were just backfilled and tamped with dirt.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    Throw a concrete disk in the bottom of the hole. Post will never sink. This is done in the construction of pole buildings.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    All of the corner posts are in gravel. I will likely set the post with the hinge for the gate in concrete eventually, but so far it's OK. The corners are just fine and probably always will be.

11162442_10205587836509647_2254737852397331755_n.jpg

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I've built fences since 1976. Peeled black locust posts last about 20 years. Longer if you creosote them. Bois d'arc (hedge apple/ osage orange) will last longer. Landscape timbers are crap. Don't use them. Occasionally we set a corner in concrete in a high use gate location but mostly just tamped the dirt from the hole back around the post. A hydraulic post pounder will do amazing things if you have access to one.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Throw a concrete disk in the bottom of the hole. Post will never sink. This is done in the construction of pole buildings.

With a fence, you don't need to worry about the post sinking. Frost heaving it out of the ground or people driving through the fence and pulling them up or the cows rubbing on them until they're loose are your main worries.

Learn how to set a brace post. The angled wire only works as a brace if it's installed angled in the right direction. Backwards and it will pull your corner post for you when you stretch the fence.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I've done posts with gravel, soil, and concrete, and the only ones I've had to fix were set in concrete. Clay soil has a high shrink/swell factor compared with other soil types. That's why it cracks a lot when it dries out. That also means that the soil is "pushing" against anything that's buried in it when it gets wet and/or freezes. If you put a post in concrete, and if you fill the hole clear up to the surface, and even better, if you've dug the hole bigger at the top than the bottom, that shrink/swell can push a post right up out of the ground. There's a guy near me that has his pasture done just like Houghmade's, except this guy's corner section posts with the concrete are sitting on top of the ground after 10 years of frost-heave in a wet clay. I had a couple of my concrete-set posts push up an inch or two, and I went at them with a spud bar to break up the concrete and take at least the top foot out and replaced it with packed soil. A good quality of clay is that it packs great, has a good bearing capacity, and holds posts well.

I'd still set a gate-post or other posts where strength is needed in concrete, but I'd make sure it's set three feet deep, and only put concrete in the bottom half (or so) of the hole.

Last edited:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I've done posts with gravel, soil, and concrete, and the only ones I've had to fix were set in concrete. Clay soil has a high shrink/swell factor compared with other soil types. That's why it cracks a lot when it dries out. That also means that the soil is "pushing" against anything that's buried in it when it gets wet and/or freezes. If you put a post in concrete, and if you fill the hole clear up to the surface, and even better, if you've dug the hole bigger at the top than the bottom, that shrink/swell can push a post right up out of the ground. There's a guy near me that has his pasture done just like Houghmade's, except this guy's corner section posts with the concrete are sitting on top of the ground after 10 years of frost-heave in a wet clay. I had a couple of my concrete-set posts push up an inch or two, and I went at them with a spud bar to break up the concrete and take at least the top foot out and replaced it with packed soil. A good quality of clay is that it packs great, has a good bearing capacity, and holds posts well.

I'd still set a gate-post or other posts where strength is needed in concrete, but I'd make sure it's set three feet deep, and only put concrete in the bottom half (or so) of the hole.

36" hole bigger at the bottom than the top 1/2 full of concrete stays pretty well around a post.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Not the expert but what worked for us. Post pounding. That’s what we do here at INGO!! And I’m not in the 10,000 club...
    But seriously using a post driver and corner/gate posts we used telephone poles. 9’ and at least 4’-5’ in the ground. We set 55 posts in one hour and total we have maybe 250 posts and not one has moved in 10 years.
    To do it in concrete and the time/labor would have been crazy. When you put concrete in the ground you make a void and it fills with water.. think about it.
    We have over 8 acres under fence and just divided up a pasture for a new horse. We should talk about horses sometime! We’re a horse rescue. Plus it’s always good to talk to another person from INGO. Tim

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I'm getting ready to build a deck and covered porch. I have buried posts for various swing sets/play houses over the years and never had any problem with rot. We are on a small hill with great draining, sandy soil.

But this project is larger and more expensive and I need it to last just short of forever. Talked to a local pole barn guy and he recommends these...

Post Protector

Or...

Plasti-Sleeve

Not sure if there's a similar product for round fence posts.:dunno:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Reviving this thread for a slightly different perspective. I ended up paying someone to build the fence for me, I just didn’t have the time to mess with it and I’m very happy with the work they did.

I now need to build a couple horse stalls inside of my pole barn. The barn is old and just has a dirt floor and I need to set some 6x6 posts. The problem (I think) is that I didn’t order pressure treated posts (like an idiot). So now I’m wondering if posts which are set in gravel and inside of a barn will still rot away quickly? I know this isn’t ideal but I don’t really want to buy new 14’ 6x6 posts but I will if it’s absolutely necessary. Is there anything I can coat the part of the posts that will be below grade with to make this work?

Top Bottom