• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    We’re in the market for a new mattress. My wife has a bad back, and our mattress isn’t helping. It’s a Bowles mattress, but just isn’t cutting it anymore.

I haven’t researched mattresses for some time. You have spring, memory foam, air...

I’m seeing brands like Sealy, Tempur Pedic, Sleep Number, Casper...

I’m a bit loss. I was always told Sleep Number was the best, but I found a large number of bad reviews.
    I just discovered Casper, and it seems interesting.

Also, what’s good for a bad back? Do you want firm, soft, a little of both?

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I have found that a firmer mattress is better when my back is bothering me, but I don't think that is a universal thing. We had a Leesa but it wasn't firm as advertised so we sent it back. We now have a Tuft and Needle which I find comfortable. I think the Casper is somewhere in the same range as those two. One of the nice things about the memories foam mattresses is that you can usually try them out for 90 days and get a refund if you don't like it. That is what we did with the Leesa. They normally just donate or junk the returns, you don't have to send them back. They just have someone come pick them up.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    As firm as you can stand POCKETED coil spring with memory foam top layer AND a basic head only adjustable base, you'll never go back to a flat mattress.

Don't do a full memory foam mattress, they're expensive and they sag.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    As firm as you can stand POCKETED coil spring with memory foam top layer AND a basic head only adjustable base, you'll never go back to a flat mattress.

Don't do a full memory foam mattress, they're expensive and they sag.
    Some may be expensive, there are a lot that are not. I think ours was around $600 for a Queen from Costco.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Wore out the old one, eh? :):

Whatever you go with read the instructions for the first couple uses. We bought a mattress and no one told us we had to rotate it every week for the first month. Ended up with a bad sag. $2000 mattress :xmad:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    We’re in the market for a new mattress. My wife has a bad back, and our mattress isn’t helping. It’s a Bowles mattress, but just isn’t cutting it anymore.

I haven’t researched mattresses for some time. You have spring, memory foam, air...

I’m seeing brands like Sealy, Tempur Pedic, Sleep Number, Casper...

I’m a bit loss. I was always told Sleep Number was the best, but I found a large number of bad reviews.
    I just discovered Casper, and it seems interesting.

Also, what’s good for a bad back? Do you want firm, soft, a little of both?
    Do you have a Consumer Reports membership?

Here is their buying guide. No need to be one to see it. You will need one to see their ratings and reviews though.
    https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/mattresses/buying-guide/index.htm

Casper is their highest rated foam and is actually tied with Avocado Green's spring as the best overall rated.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    I have had a Sleep Number for 18 years - no problems. The motor went out a few years ago abut picked up a refurbished from them for 100 bucks. It's an older one, with a 2 inch pad on it. My setting is always 80-90.

If I had to go to another, I'd look at what K_W posted. The firmer the better.

2Lucky

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2018
    Notre Dame
    Look for the spring count. More is better. The closer they are to each other the better the support. Be sure to compare spring count on the same size mattress (king to king etc.)......

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Don't value engineer the decision. Take advantage of the trial periods and give them a good try. The wife and I went with a relatively firm tempur pedic 12 years ago and are always happy to come back to it after traveling. Will likely not do an inner spring mattress again. I believe all the memory foam mattresses will get slightly softer after the first 3 - 6 months but ours certainly doesn't sag.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    For back issues we've found that a Comfortaire...which is a sleep number bed in reality...is hands down the best. I've got a friend who's had one for 20 years and wouldn't buy anything else. We took his advise when replacing a memory foam mattress a year ago and are very pleased.

The remotes are a gimmick though...I mean once you find out what number you like you'll never use the thing again.

We had a water bed we liked...but this doesn't weigh a half ton.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Look for the spring count. More is better. The closer they are to each other the better the support. Be sure to compare spring count on the same size mattress (king to king etc.)......

Our spring count is zero... just like I like it. It’s almost 2019, people still sleep on metal?

510picker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2017
    Martinsville
    We've had a Sleep Number for six years. After the first year, I would have said I wasn't overly impressed. Now I will say I am very happy with it. I like being able to adjust it to my liking. I often start out with it maxed out on firmness (100) and after I get up the relieve myself, I crank it down to 55 - 60 and enjoy the softness. I do wish I had the option to raise/lower my head and feet, but it wasn't available when we purchased.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Really like our Bowles mattress. Made here in Indiana, and are reasonably priced. Love it. Ended up buying 2 more twins for the kids. So far they have lasted longer than the cheap Menards Sealy mattresses we bought for them originally.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    He has a Bowles

I missed that. Maybe he needs a firmer model?

Or use this as a topper? LOL

sheathing-plywood-166073-64_1000.jpg

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    We've had a Sleep Number for six years. After the first year, I would have said I wasn't overly impressed. Now I will say I am very happy with it. I like being able to adjust it to my liking. I often start out with it maxed out on firmness (100) and after I get up the relieve myself, I crank it down to 55 - 60 and enjoy the softness. I do wish I had the option to raise/lower my head and feet, but it wasn't available when we purchased.

Pfft. I'm at 35, aka "marshmello flush".

Top Bottom