• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    In a nutshell, I have a company wanting me to become their Indiana installer for solar roofs. I will be basic in explanation of system and costs. This is not a panel that bolts on the roof, these panels are shingles that install similar to shingles. The cost is where I am really interested in your guys opinion. I think it is outrageously expensive, but I have noticed many houses putting solar on. On a normal 30 Square roof you figure cost to tear off and replace using a lifetime dimensional shingle is around $300 per square, so about $9,000-10,000 total. Using the solar system, you would be looking at about $35,000 for tear off and install of 6,000 Watt system, batteries, etc. There would also be tax incentives, both state and federal...but I am leaving them out of my example.

My question is simply....would you make that kind of investment for 6000 watts of solar power?

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    In Florida or Indiana?

Is net metering an option with utility?

In Indiana. And yes, I believe net metering is an option. I know they say if it produces more than you use, meter spins backwards and you are then credited for amount entering grid. Is that net metering?

They claim there is a 30% federal tax credit plus a state credit/rebate. I can see where this may take off in Geist where keeping up with the Jones' is priority and money has nothing to do with it, but I just don't know about average Joe's.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Are these shingles the ones that very recently obtained UL approval? From RGS Energy?

I ask because I was reading about them the other other day. Seems they licensed the technology from Dow for a ridiculously small amount of money. That makes me suspicious. Dow doesn't just give away good stuff. They were also described as a company that consistently over promises and under delivers. And they are having the shingles manufactured in China. I get that part. But if they are slammed with orders the way they claim to be, just getting the product may prove difficult, especially in the short term.

I'm not saying it's a bad product or a bad idea. I'm just skeptical RGS can pull this off. Especially with California mandating all new home have solar by 2020. Of course, they could become the next Apple or Microsoft. Whadda I know?:dunno:

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    It would take me 10.5 years just to break even if that 6kW would replace my electric bill, (which it wouldn't).

So, I'm a hard pass.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It would take me 10.5 years just to break even if that 6kW would replace my electric bill, (which it wouldn't).

So, I'm a hard pass.

Is this a 6KW peak delivery or a constant 6K. Good question.
    Also....Warr. requirements on the installer. If a job goes south who eats it. There is a lot involved here.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    In Indiana. And yes, I believe net metering is an option. I know they say if it produces more than you use, meter spins backwards and you are then credited for amount entering grid. Is that net metering?

They claim there is a 30% federal tax credit plus a state credit/rebate. I can see where this may take off in Geist where keeping up with the Jones' is priority and money has nothing to do with it, but I just don't know about average Joe's.

It just doesn't make enough power. 6kW is barely enough to keep the lights on. I know things are more power efficient these days, but I bought 1889 kW-h last month. What is a little system like that going to do for me?

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Is this a 6KW peak delivery or a constant 6K. Good question.
    Also....Warr. requirements on the installer. If a job goes south who eats it. There is a lot involved here.

My assumption is that it's continuous with full sun.

I would also like to know what the warranty and maintenance plans are.

Those things are also devilishly hot. What is that going to do to my under-roof temperatures?

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My immediate thoughts that I would want to know if presented with the option to do a solar roof:

The math. 35,000 - Credits/Rebates - Cost of normal roof.
    How do I convert the 6000 watt rating to kWh/month
    How much will it really generate on nice grey Indiana days like today and
    How long will that take to cover the difference between the solar roof and a more traditional roof.
    How long will it last.
    I think once those are answered the question becomes are you doing this to save the environment or is there actually a monetary incentive to do it.

I know we use between 1300 - 2100 kWh/month depending on the time of year, how much of that will a 6000 watt solar system power? As with most homes our biggest consumer is AC during the summer which would scale with the sun load and temperature. After that our big consumers are aquariums, computers, and network equipment.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    With residential wind driven generators, windmill, the cost is close to $3 a generated watt which I thought is outrageous when normal combustion engine driven generators, your menards special, its 20-50 cents a generated watt. At $7 a generated watt I think will be a hard sell even for Dr. Jonny Deeppockets or Councilman Goodtooth. Imho, even if 95% of the install isnt visible to the normal Joe, not just a no, hell no.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Are these shingles the ones that very recently obtained UL approval? From RGS Energy?

I ask because I was reading about them the other other day. Seems they licensed the technology from Dow for a ridiculously small amount of money. That makes me suspicious. Dow doesn't just give away good stuff. They were also described as a company that consistently over promises and under delivers. And they are having the shingles manufactured in China. I get that part. But if they are slammed with orders the way they claim to be, just getting the product may prove difficult, especially in the short term.

I'm not saying it's a bad product or a bad idea. I'm just skeptical RGS can pull this off. Especially with California mandating all new home have solar by 2020. Of course, they could become the next Apple or Microsoft. Whadda I know?:dunno:

Do you follow their stock? That is how I got involved with this company, by trading their stock. Part of them may be made in China but parts are manufactured in Northern Indiana. I am very skeptical. Just the cost, seems to me to be a tough sell. The way they are coming up with all them orders is fake as hell as well....they are taking guestimates and making them orders. I bet they have not sold 5% of what they claim they have. Seems so expensive compared to panels. As for DOW, they failed with 1.0 and 2.0 and divested to a company that knows solar. I am with you though, paint me a skeptic!

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Sounds like Tesla's Solar Roof stuff.

On the surface of it - sounds like a good idea. And, honestly, if I had lottery money, I'd think about it as a way to help get off-grid (in my lottery money house on my lottery money property)

As it stands right now, however, it's not a fiscally sound investment for me/mine. Not even close.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    You guys are all giving me the answer I expected. The only reason I am even giving this thought is 1. I would like to offer a system that not every roofing contractor can offer. 2. I have seen so many homes with solar installs lately.

When you figure the next closest thing is Tesla Shingles at almost 2 times the cost or ugly panels at 1/2 the cost. I just don't think at this price they will ever catch on, but I could be dead wrong. My electric bill is only about $1500-2000 a year. Take a lot of time to ever recover that cash outlay. I never thought people would pay $100K for a car you have to pay for a year in advance and find a charger for. Kids nowadays are kind of weird.......

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You guys are all giving me the answer I expected. The only reason I am even giving this thought is 1. I would like to offer a system that not every roofing contractor can offer. 2. I have seen so many homes with solar installs lately.

When you figure the next closest thing is Tesla Shingles at almost 2 times the cost or ugly panels at 1/2 the cost. I just don't think at this price they will ever catch on, but I could be dead wrong. My electric bill is only about $1500-2000 a year. Take a lot of time to ever recover that cash outlay. I never thought people would pay $100K for a car you have to pay for a year in advance and find a charger for. Kids nowadays are kind of weird.......

Also to be considered......Maint. on that system. Battery's are not going to live long enough for a pay back. Wind/hail damage. Insurance company will flip out..:):

Looking at the weather here in the winter that system would be static what.....40% or more of the time in the winter. Meh.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Do you follow their stock? That is how I got involved with this company, by trading their stock. Part of them may be made in China but parts are manufactured in Northern Indiana. I am very skeptical. Just the cost, seems to me to be a tough sell. The way they are coming up with all them orders is fake as hell as well....they are taking guestimates and making them orders. I bet they have not sold 5% of what they claim they have. Seems so expensive compared to panels. As for DOW, they failed with 1.0 and 2.0 and divested to a company that knows solar. I am with you though, paint me a skeptic!

It was a "hot tip" from a guy I know. I decided to keep my $$$. If they turn into the next Apple, I'll probably cry.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    It was a "hot tip" from a guy I know. I decided to keep my $$$. If they turn into the next Apple, I'll probably cry.

Yeah, the last month or so the stock was pretty hot for trading but I would never hold it long term. It was almost a 200% gain for November, even without trading it. I like that stock for trading but you can't be greedy, buy cheap and take profits. Lot of guys didnt take profits and will be crying as it falls. I will buy it again in .30's- low .40's. I bet it runs big sooner or later, just so they can have offering and dilute shareholders. But honestly, their books are terrible...it's a turd and I doubt it will ever be an Apple. Speaking of Apple, I got a chart guru that says it is headed to 130's. He is usually right about 90% of time. We'll see.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    How much power will a 100w panel actually produce in Indiana? Winter has the son at a very low angle, and roofs are cold. And often snow covered.

I would plan for 50% Efficiency compared to what the panel can do. A lot of losses in the system combined with crappy sun in Indiana

Top Bottom