What happens when you have too much time............

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    .........to think about and plan your new house.

2vb4jva.jpg

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    About 14'x18' room. 12" steel reinforced walls, roof will be steel bridge decking with 7 1/2" of steel reinforced concrete. Floor will be 4" higher then the rest of the basement floor. Have 8" steel ventilation ports that will have duct fans on the inside and fire doors on the outside that will close in case of a fire. The door is a Mosler door, made in 1909. It came out of a bank in Macon MO. I restored it and still have the details like pinstriping and lettering. The frame is welded down to a steel insert in the footer, and poured in place with the concrete solid 8" deep in the chanal all the way around the frame. This whole thing will add less $$ to my mortgage, then what an insurance policy would cost on my guns. This way, I get something for my money, and I get to keep my guns, and whatever else I want to put in there. Its a no brainer.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    That's really nice.
    I'm envious. ;)

My only concern with a home vault is to be sure to have a way to get out of it from the inside if locked in.
    I'd hate to get robbed and locked in with no way out, and no way to let somebody know I'm locked in.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    About 14'x18' room. 12" steel reinforced walls, roof will be steel bridge decking with 7 1/2" of steel reinforced concrete. Floor will be 4" higher then the rest of the basement floor. Have 8" steel ventilation ports that will have duct fans on the inside and fire doors on the outside that will close in case of a fire. The door is a Mosler door, made in 1909. It came out of a bank in Macon, MO. I restored it and still have the details like pinstriping and lettering. The frame is welded down to a steel insert in the footer, and poured in place with the concrete solid 8" deep in the chanal all the way around the frame. This whole thing will add less $$ to my mortgage, then what an insurance policy would cost on my guns. This way, I get something for my money, and I get to keep my guns, and whatever else I want to put in there. Its a no brainer.

When did you acquire the door, AND did they remodel or tear the bank down?

Back in 1980-83, I bet I drove past that bank once a week, on my way to K.C. on the job. I believe there was only one bank there, back then.

Awesome build, brother!

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    That's really nice.
    I'm envious. ;)

My only concern with a home vault is to be sure to have a way to get out of it from the inside if locked in.
    I'd hate to get robbed and locked in with no way out, and no way to let somebody know I'm locked in.

I'm envious also but I have a thought. If that door opens out (toward the photographer in this case) there is potential for anyone inside it to be trapped by debris. A nephew recently built a house with a vault/shelter in the basement. It can be secured from either side but you cannot be locked inside. The contractor who built the room and installed the vault door said that aspect is often overlooked.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    That's really nice.
    I'm envious. ;)

Screen door in the back.

Very nice. That's awesome.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Yeah, it's going to be tough getting into that by tipping it over or peeling the sides with an angle grinder.

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    There is the possibility of unlocking the door from the inside, by breaking the glass on the inside of the door, and taking 4, 3/8 bolts out and opening the dead bolts, but it's a compression door, so even after that, the compression works would still have you shut in there. On the bright side, it can't accidentally shut, as there is a whole process to shutting it.

The door does swing out, but it's not really intended to be for storm useage. I have another room under the front porch that will work for that if the need arises.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    There is the possibility of unlocking the door from the inside, by breaking the glass on the inside of the door, and taking 4, 3/8 bolts out and opening the dead bolts, but it's a compression door, so even after that, the compression works would still have you shut in there. On the bright side, it can't accidentally shut, as there is a whole process to shutting it.

The door does swing out, but it's not really intended to be for storm useage. I have another room under the front porch that will work for that if the need arises.

Just dont teach the wife the process. **** her off and we may never hear from you again. LOL

"Honey, I forgive you for that. Now, can you go into your vault and show me some of your guns? Starting with the ones you keep WAAAAAAY back at the back."

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    When did you acquire the door, AND did they remodel or tear the bank down?

Back in 1980-83, I bet I drove past that bank once a week, on my way to K.C. on the job. I believe there was only one bank there, back then.

Awesome build, brother!

I got the door in Sept. It was removed from a building that had not been a bank in a long time. What I was told, was they had turned the building into a bar. There was trim on the front of the frame, when I removed the trim, there was soap stone writing under it. Probably from when it was built in 09'. It looked like is said "Ruby Trust Co., Macon MO" It was pretty rough when I got it. The door had to be restored, the frame had to be modified to facilitate being poured in the wall, and the hardware had to be re plated. Here is a before pic.

vrt4cp.jpg

Top Bottom