• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    American car companies maybe, but the way I read that is that VW wants more capacity here and the plants wouldn't be used if VW doesn't use them. That's a good thing for American workers.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    American car companies maybe, but the way I read that is that VW wants more capacity here and the plants wouldn't be used if VW doesn't use them. That's a good thing for American workers.

Of course. People want to earn a living (generally speaking). Though the line workers might want to build them, obviously, there's not enough of them buying them or Ford would have stayed in the business.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Of course. People want to earn a living (generally speaking). Though the line workers might want to build them, obviously, there's not enough of them buying them or Ford would have stayed in the business.

Like Murph implied, VW builds a lot more than small cars.

3 SUVs, a couple of Subaru-like wagons, a mid/large sized car in addition to the small ones.

...of course there's always the possibility that Americans don't want American​ small cars.

Last edited:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I don't want an "American" OR German car, no matter where it's made. Unless I win the lottery. Then I'll have a stable of Germans. And Italians. And some Americans. And Japanese.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Lile Murph implied, VW builds a lot more than small cars.

3 SUVs, a couple of Subaru-like wagons, a mid/large sized car in addition to the small ones.

...of course there's always the possibility that Americans don't want American​ small cars.

BINGO. As an owner of 2 VW's and a BMW, I was never impressed with the fit and finish of the domestic offerings.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    It's not that people don't want small cars, its that American car companies cannot compete with the majority of the foreign market. There is not any real money in it when you have American car manufacturing expenses vs those that the foreign car companies have brought over with them.

American car companies want their sales high dollar, rivaling what home sales were just years ago. It becomes very forgiving when people become used to living their whole life with a continual monthly vehicle payment. Compared to a vehicle that will be paid off free and clear in a short few years, to let them understand living without that regular payment.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I think the real issue is more that American companies can make more profit selling larger vehicles than small ones. They could​ compete on smaller cars, but why?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I think the real issue is more that American companies can make more profit selling larger vehicles than small ones. They could​ compete on smaller cars, but why?

:yesway:

Profit margin on small cheaper cars is... smaller.
    And companies can often be short sided.
    Anyone remember the manufacturers in the 70s? "Americans don't want small cars"
    "Gas will always be cheap".

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    The spectrum of what is small certainly has shifted over time...as well as what it full sized.

And yet with every shift, the big three's vehicles never quite measured up to Japanese competition.:rolleyes:

They have decided to stop trying to compete and simply focus on products that the Japanese don't make in large numbers.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I don't agree. Biases about American cars have survived much after American cars have gotten quite good. At this point, there are incremental differences between cars from almost all manufacturers....yet the biases live on.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I don't agree. Biases about American cars have survived much after American cars have gotten quite good. At this point, there are incremental differences between cars from almost all manufacturers....yet the biases live on.

Cars are a huge investment. After getting a crappy product that failed to perform properly for a reasonable life never again will I buy another Ford, Chrysler or GM vehicle. I will now spend my hard earned money on Hondas and Toyotas that with ordinary maintenance will easily run for ten plus years and more than 200,000 miles.

I hold grudges and there is no amount of money Chrysler can give me to compensate for the pain and suffering I endured driving from here to Montana and back in the middle of the summer with nonfunctioning air conditioning and an "uncomfortable" wife and whiny kid. F'em and stop giving them my tax dollars to support their failed business models.

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me. It aint gonna happen again.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I had a 1990 GMC S-15 Jimmy that had 188,000 miles when I sold it. Then, only because I needed a larger vehicle. Engine was never opened up, nothing more than standard maintenance. Same story on my current ride, a 2007 Silverado- about 160,000 miles.

2012 Chrysler T&C- wrecked with 112,000
    2003 Chevrolet Venture- traded still running and still with cold, original AC charge at 130,000. I just wanted something newer.
    1997 Pontiac Grand Am- traded at 125,000 miles still running fine, wanted a truck.
    1996 Mercury Sable- true POS, but traded at 116,000 miles.
    1988 Pontiac 6000, traded at 122,000 miles- It was 1998 and I had just become a lawyer....10 year old car for a new lawyer? But that was a great car.
    1996 Saturn SW2- My son still drives it, about 90,000 miles.

I only ever had one car with a mechanical issue that stopped it from operating for good and that was a 1984 Buick Century with 128,000 miles- main bearings went.

My experience with domestic vehicles has been quite positive. With a very few exceptions, they have operated well for as long as I wanted to keep them. None have ever been rebuilt, engine or transmission, and none have even had the heads pulled.

If you like foreign manufacturers, I get it and that makes sense because before recently, domestics (especially Chrysler) could be hit and miss. However, in the last 10 years, durability, reliability, etc.- from Kia to Honda to Cadillac, it's really a pick 'em.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County

I agree. BTW, I will never own another Toyota. Had one of those once....that truck was always messed up and then trying to find parts and work on them required a degree. My last 3 trucks Ford, Chevy, Ford have lasted 300,000+ miles and in fact the truck I drive now has 375,000 miles and is original engine and tranny....and the last 2 plowed snow since new.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Never have owned a foreign car, just never seemed to find a good one when I was car shopping. My sons drive Nissans and Hondas, but they live in big cities.

Top Bottom