Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

User Info Menu

Volkswagen may use Ford's U.S. plants to build cars

Another job Americans don't want to do anymore (building small-ish cars)?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN1O32JG
    INGOer #18,319

User Info Menu

American car companies maybe, but the way I read that is that VW wants more capacity here and the plants wouldn't be used if VW doesn't use them. That's a good thing for American workers.
    "Research just slows the funny down." - Dr.Midnight

Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GodFearinGunTotin View Post
    Another job Americans don't want to do anymore (building small-ish cars)?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN1O32JG
    Probably building pickups and SUVs since American's don't like to buy smallish cars.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HoughMade View Post
    American car companies maybe, but the way I read that is that VW wants more capacity here and the plants wouldn't be used if VW doesn't use them. That's a good thing for American workers.
    Of course. People want to earn a living (generally speaking). Though the line workers might want to build them, obviously, there's not enough of them buying them or Ford would have stayed in the business.
    INGOer #18,319

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GodFearinGunTotin View Post
    Of course. People want to earn a living (generally speaking). Though the line workers might want to build them, obviously, there's not enough of them buying them or Ford would have stayed in the business.
    Like Murph implied, VW builds a lot more than small cars.

3 SUVs, a couple of Subaru-like wagons, a mid/large sized car in addition to the small ones.

...of course there's always the possibility that Americans don't want American​ small cars.
    Last edited by HoughMade; 6 Days Ago at 14:15.

User Info Menu

I don't want an "American" OR German car, no matter where it's made. Unless I win the lottery. Then I'll have a stable of Germans. And Italians. And some Americans. And Japanese.
    Amazing Grace, how sweet was her sound.

User Info Menu

Lile Murph implied, VW builds a lot more than small cars.

3 SUVs, a couple of Subaru-like wagons, a mid/large sized car in addition to the small ones.

...of course there's always the possibility that Americans don't want American​ small cars.
    BINGO. As an owner of 2 VW's and a BMW, I was never impressed with the fit and finish of the domestic offerings.
    On the other side of fear lies freedom.

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

It's not that people don't want small cars, its that American car companies cannot compete with the majority of the foreign market. There is not any real money in it when you have American car manufacturing expenses vs those that the foreign car companies have brought over with them.

American car companies want their sales high dollar, rivaling what home sales were just years ago. It becomes very forgiving when people become used to living their whole life with a continual monthly vehicle payment. Compared to a vehicle that will be paid off free and clear in a short few years, to let them understand living without that regular payment.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Done, done, and Iím on to the next one...
    -----------------------------------------------

User Info Menu

I think the real issue is more that American companies can make more profit selling larger vehicles than small ones. They could​ compete on smaller cars, but why?

User Info Menu

...They could​ compete on smaller cars, but why?
    Could they?

Has any of the big three EVER made a small car that was subjectively better than a Corolla, Civic, Camry, or Accord?
    Necessity is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast