• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Ok I have not yet been to a Dr to get it checked out. For the last week, I have woke up with a pain in my lower back on the right side just to the right of my spine. The pain travels into my right hip (though not much pain) and down the middle of my hamstring and into the back of my knee.
    Once I am up, take some Ibuprofen and get moving around its not so bad. Walking around doesn't seem to be an issue nor does most most daily work. But once I go to bed, its like everything tightens up and it hurts like crazy until the Ibuprofen kicks in and I move enough to get it loosened up.
    So, who has dealt with this and what should I do?
    Dad has had a similar issue for iver a year and the Dr said he has a herniated disc and something about surgery. So thats my fear. Should I go see a witch doctor aka chiropractor? What says INgo

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Honestly, I don’t think a chiro will really do much for you. When I had similar problems, I first went to an orthopedic (spine) surgeon expecting him to recommend surgery. He did, but said insurance wouldn’t agree until I’d tried “pain management “. So off to smother doc. He recommended some epidural shots. I had 4 of them, one on each side at two adjacent lumbar discs. Worked great. It’s been two years now. When I start getting some pain, it’s usually because I haven’t been getting enough regular, moderate exercise.

The problem was it took something like 3 months to go through the scheduling process. My PCP, referral to Orthopod, referral to Pain doc, scheduling the shots.

The shots don’t work for everyone. My wife had some and only got a month or two of relief. Surgery ultimately helped her. It doesn’t help everyone.

When I got my shots, the pain doc said it sometimes takes a series of them to work or conclude they won’t help. I don’t recall the timing but may have been 2 or 3 rounds over the course of a year. That gets expensive, even as outpatient. Like I said, I’ve gotten one set and it’s been great. YMMV.

Now that I’m relatively pain free, I’m trying to stick with a regular exercise routine. Walking, cycling, swimming, strength training and flexibility.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I wouldn't go to a chiro either, when I hurt my back my buddy who is a chiro sent me to a Surgeon in Brownsburg who use to be the Denver Broncos surgeon. I liked him because he didn't want to do surgery right off, he said that was last resort. I blew up a disc, my L4 & L5 when I was 35 or so. I spent 3-4 months in bed because of pain. My stubborn behind wouldn't take pain pills, but they did offer me something called a Medrol Medpack, or something like that. They really helped me for whatever reason, but then I got the epidural as well.

To this day my sciatic still hurts sometimes but I usually take Ibuprofen. I live with it because I don't want to risk a botched back surgery @ 50 and end up in worse condition then now. I would at least get it looked at by a surgeon and they can probably tell you why it is happening.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I wouldn't go to a chiro either, when I hurt my back my buddy who is a chiro sent me to a Surgeon in Brownsburg who use to be the Denver Broncos surgeon. I liked him because he didn't want to do surgery right off, he said that was last resort. I blew up a disc, my L4 & L5 when I was 35 or so. I spent 3-4 months in bed because of pain. My stubborn behind wouldn't take pain pills, but they did offer me something called a Medrol Medpack, or something like that. They really helped me for whatever reason, but then I got the epidural as well.

To this day my sciatic still hurts sometimes but I usually take Ibuprofen. I live with it because I don't want to risk a botched back surgery @ 50 and end up in worse condition then now. I would at least get it looked at by a surgeon and they can probably tell you why it is happening.

Yeah that has been my concern with going to see a surgeon. I don't like the idea of surgery to start with. But my mom and mother in law have both been on the receiving end of botched back surgery. Both have resulted in being worse off and one so bad as having to take a medical retirement. Well at 40, I want to explore any and all other options that might help.
    The worst is I was fine one day, went to work and woke up the next day feeling like I was hit by a truck

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    It sounds like you have a nerve impingement. L5/S1 nerve root or sciatic nerve. Either something is making the whole smaller the nerve goes through, like a herniated disc or bone spur, or the nerve is swollen, or something else is pushing on the nerve directly.

Anti-inflammatories, steroids, physical therapy. That should improve whatever it is. If it does not after a month or so, you could consider an MRI.

Did you do any bending over, lifting, or any other jarring motion that could have injured your back? Do you actually have weakness, or just pain?

Talk to Kirk. Yoga, pigeon stretch . Piriformis stretching

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    As to the Chiro.....get the right one. We have used a Chiro for years. He is the reason I am walking upright and still able to work. My lower back/neck/shoulders are junk from the trades and having to much fun in this life. Some things are beyond pills and medications. The right one will know if he can help. Choose your poison.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Since you mention you wake up with this pain maybe your mattress is not working out for you any longer.

Someone above mentioned exercises, that can help too. Stretching out the back and walking will help.

I had open back surgery this spring, I had a disc which slipped down my spine, I have never had pain like that. Relief was immediate and back to work within a couple weeks.

bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    Simple stuff. Degenerative disc's here. At my lowest my wife had to call an ambulance to get me out of bed. ER wouldn't let me leave until I could stand up. 2 rounds of morphine later no go. Final dose of dilaudid, and I finally stood up. Back pain is the worst .

wrg6rk.jpg

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Simple stuff. Degenerative disc's here. At my lowest my wife had to call an ambulance to get me out of bed. ER wouldn't let me leave until I could stand up. 2 rounds of morphine later no go. Final dose of dilaudid, and I finally stood up. Back pain is the worst .

wrg6rk.jpg

I think those are good, standard back exercises. I’ve gotten then from PT and seen them from many sources.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    What position are you sleeping in? I prefer sleeping on my side, but that causes my sciatic nerve to act up. I don't like sleeping on my back, so I sleep on my stomach with a pillow under my stomach and chest. It helps keep my back stretched while I sleep.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    Strained my back very badly in 74, muscle strain lead to bulging disc @ L-5 in 82. Doc said no surgery- Physical therapy, loose weight, soft shoes, remove wallet from back pocket, learn how to lift properly, check out the bed as it can cause issues. I have had back pain since 74 and have learned to live with it and manage it without surgery or strong drugs. Some days are great, some are not so good. Good luck.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    It sounds like you have a nerve impingement. L5/S1 nerve root or sciatic nerve. Either something is making the whole smaller the nerve goes through, like a herniated disc or bone spur, or the nerve is swollen, or something else is pushing on the nerve directly.

Anti-inflammatories, steroids, physical therapy. That should improve whatever it is. If it does not after a month or so, you could consider an MRI.

Did you do any bending over, lifting, or any other jarring motion that could have injured your back? Do you actually have weakness, or just pain?

Talk to Kirk. Yoga, pigeon stretch . Piriformis stretching
    Well I find some encouragement in meds and physical therapy. Especially to start with.

I work as an auto mechanic. Yes, the night before all of this started was my turn to do oil changes and tire rotations all night. So I was picking up/putting down and carrying tires every 30 minutes for 8 hrs. I can't say that I have noticed any weakness, just the pain.
    I am suspecting I may have just tweaked a muscle that may be inflamed causing the pressure on the nerve.
    I may have to go have it looked at. But to add to the frustration my pcp retired on Friday. So I may have to just go to the clinic (offered through work) to get it looked at and get anti-inflammatory meds.
    I don't want strong pain meds as I don't want to become dependant. Is Tylenol or Aleve better to take than Ibuprofen? Should I ask for any lifting restrictions until the inflammation goes away?

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    As to the Chiro.....get the right one. We have used a Chiro for years. He is the reason I am walking upright and still able to work. My lower back/neck/shoulders are junk from the trades and having to much fun in this life. Some things are beyond pills and medications. The right one will know if he can help. Choose your poison.

Yeah I am still consdiering a chiropractor as I think I might benefit from it...in theory. You know how it is, lifting/carrying/ working over my head etc. Some stuff is just starting to hurt more than it used to

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Since you mention you wake up with this pain maybe your mattress is not working out for you any longer.

Someone above mentioned exercises, that can help too. Stretching out the back and walking will help.

I had open back surgery this spring, I had a disc which slipped down my spine, I have never had pain like that. Relief was immediate and back to work within a couple weeks.

I sure hope it has nothing to do with my mattress. My wife and I bought a new mattress/box springs & frame in mid October.

I will be starting some back exercises (from upthread) today

Top Bottom