• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • glank09

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Corunna
    Our new place came with a 900 square foot outbuilding. It is on concrete and has 2 garage doors. I would like the ability to warm it up when I am out there working. This would not be a lot, maybe 3-4 hours a few times a month during the winter. I know if I were using it more often, it would be worth insulating it. I am considering a kerosine forced air heater that I will just run occasionally to bring the temp up. I also have a smaller older wood stove I could install, just not sure it would be worth it and not sure it would produce the heat needed to bring the temperature up in the uninsulated building. What’s everyone think?

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I would go with a kerosene salamander type heater. Check with your home owners insurance before you install a wood stove out there.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Get some of that insulation that places like DC metal use on their pole buildings. It makes a big difference.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Wood is OK but it requires a lot of work and is not an instant heat source.
    Find a good propane salamander. Less fumes. No stink.
    Fuel works but you will have the smell on you when you go in the house.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Wood is OK but it requires a lot of work and is not an instant heat source.
    Find a good propane salamander. Less fumes. No stink.
    Fuel works but you will have the smell on you when you go in the house.

Yes, kerosene does have an odor to it. And, it's not as cheap as it use to be.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I've got a great wood stove that came out of my barn for a good price, I'm out of town for a few days though so it'll be Saturday before I can share photos.

Found my old post from last year and bumped it to the top if interested.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Actually this might be the right thing.

It worked well for me, still made some noise but not the howl of a salamander. I used a carbon monoxide detector which registered 0 unless held directly at the outlet while running.

It isnt portable like a salamander, but I have to imagine it is much safer based on the design being for dedicated unattended livestock use.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    On this topic......a buddy built a steel building that was 60' by 30' a few years ago. He procured several rolls of heavy clear plastic. before he got the plastic the building was only warm around the salamander. After he covered the walls and ceiling with the visgueen it was a lot easier to heat. A lot easier. No more drafts and it did hold the heat better. Tarps etc will do the same.

2Lucky

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2018
    Notre Dame
    I had a LP gas salamander heater. First it was noisey and it did give me headaches if I used it for more than a half hour at a time. My neighbor has a pellet stove in his pole barn and it works fantastic.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    Properly sized LP heater for immediate heat for short periods. Could add a wood stove for those all day projects, if you want to work that hard (cut, haul wood, dump ashes, etc.).

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    On this topic......a buddy built a steel building that was 60' by 30' a few years ago. He procured several rolls of heavy clear plastic. before he got the plastic the building was only warm around the salamander. After he covered the walls and ceiling with the visgueen it was a lot easier to heat. A lot easier. No more drafts and it did hold the heat better. Tarps etc will do the same.
    Also do you need to heat the whole building? Would tarping/walling off the smaller workshop area be an option? Heat faster with less power needed?

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    I have a Dynaglo 70,000-w 20,000 salamander LP heater. I prefer LP to kerosene. If you go this route, make sure the tank is sized to keep up. I use a 40lb tank, and on days like today it will frost up.

I got my heater on Amazon warehouse deals, new in damaged box for a reduced price.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Properly sized LP heater for immediate heat for short periods. Could add a wood stove for those all day projects, if you want to work that hard (cut, haul wood, dump ashes, etc.).

I preheat with a propane salamander and then use wood or coal to heat with in a huge insert depending on how long I will be in the shop that day.

Top Bottom