• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    I have not flown very much in my life. What type of bag do you seasoned travelers prefer? Some kind of backpack, some kind of small case with wheels, or some other thing? I'm looking for advice.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Personally I use a small backpack with wheels. Used to travel a lot for my job back in the 1990's, much less so now in my current position. I have to travel to LAX or MSP every few months is about it and I can fit a small laptop and enough clothes for several days in my bag. About all I need...

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Do NOT grab the bag you took to the range last trip last minute as you’re walking out the door.

I know a guy who ran into and issue doing this.

What really annoys me about the wheeled luggage is people bringing all of their luggage and sticking it in my overhead bin. Check the freaking suitcase into the cargo hold.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Backpack that fits in overhead good for two to three days worth of crap. If you need to stay longer or take more gear check a bag on the checked bag make sure you have a easy to ID marking on you checked bag this helps immensely in retrieving your bag.

1. Do not put anything you need for a meeting or that is important in checked baggage.

2. Pack light it’s easier to get around and makes for a better travel experience if you are not lugging around 3 duffle bags. You typically can purchase items you don’t wanna fly with in most parts of the world.(This does not apply in 3rd world countries)

3. Watch out for the weirdos seems like a subset of strange people live on airplanes and at airports. It appears they are like homeless people but have money and just fly all over and never stray far from airports?

Have fun!

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I am another one who uses the wheeled backpack. Mine has a great spot on top to slide my laptop into. It can run out of space quickly, but works if just needing a couple days worth of clothes. Kohls usually runs good sales on their luggage every other week.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    2ynfbya.jpg

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I only fly a couple of times a year so take advice of frequent flyers that might conflict with mine. When I go I pack light and use a large messenger bag with a shoulder strap. Read the TSA rules on restricted items. Get familiar with the 3-1-1 ziplock bag rules for your liquids. Take an empty water bottle to fill up after through security. Be patient with the air travel process and don't stress out like my grumpy dad.

Dimensions: go to your airlines website and determine what their carry on dimensions are. All are about the same but you want to fit in their go/no-go measurement box.

Use what you have: a frameless backpack or duffle bag close to dimensions will work and means you don't have to buy something. Soft sided stuff fits easily into the required space as long as you don't overpack.

Buy a suitcase: you can find cheap carry on suitcases with handles and wheels that will work well for the occasional traveler. They may not be the quality needed for a frequent flyer but will get you through this trip. My wife prefers the wheeled suitcase approach. Take a tape measure and dimension rules when shopping.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    We're currently sitting in the Miami Airport waiting on other family members to arrive. We use wheelie bags with 4 swivel wheels and a long extendable handle for the carry ons and checked bags. A LOT easier to use than 2 wheeler bags. The backpacks are great in crowds.

Kperkins

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2018
    Logansport
    I like a backpack that has straps to compress everything down and keep it snug. As long as you don't have anything that will be damaged by compression it should work. Allows you room for more stuff if needed.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Back when I was flying in the 80's and 90's the overhead was always for the carry on of the person under THAT overhead. No it seems like any overhead is open game for anybody. What a mess. I hate flying.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Back when I was flying in the 80's and 90's the overhead was always for the carry on of the person under THAT overhead. No it seems like any overhead is open game for anybody. What a mess. I hate flying.

I will second that.....Anymore, it is an experience made only worse by the Monkey Full Employment policy (aka TSA).

Sorry you have to fly, OP.

Top Bottom