• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Yesterday was thirty years since the last Grand National rolled off the assembly line. I've always loved these cars since I first starting paying attention in the early 90's.

I'd still like to get one. Maybe a project to bring back to life..

This is a pretty good documentary.
    [video=youtube_share;GacP0ap776Y]https://youtu.be/GacP0ap776Y[/video]

rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    I owned a 1987 Buick Regal Turbo T, different interior and exterior trim package than the Grand National, otherwise similar. In 1987 there were about 20,000 Grand Nationals made and only 1592 Turbo T's made. The Turbo T's were rarer but never as popular as the Grand Nationals. They were kind of the ugly sister. Fastest production car made in 1987, faster than the Corvette. Great fun to drive, very easily modified to go very fast. I eventually sold mine after getting the Harley, just didn't drive it after that.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    , faster than the Corvette. .

and chevy threw a major :poop: fit over that! buick (the old peoples car) made a sedan that was faster than their corvette! and it was a 6 cylinder!

I saw one at a used car lot on my way to work a few years ago, and I went back on my way home, I looked all over the lot and couldn't find it, just when I thought well they must have sold it, I caught a glimpse of it in the garage with the hood up, I asked how much? the salesman looked up from under the hood and said "not for sale, it's mine" so we talked about it and he said the hoods up more than its down!, these are a mechanics dream! always having problems!, he said this is my second one, and the other is just as bad!...I said still don't care, I want one!

found this the other day
    https://barnfinds.com/26-mile-1987-buick-grand-national/

daddy likey! daddy want! daddy cant afford!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    A friend that lives down the street has got a pristine example. It is immaculate. Only down side is the engine is on a stand next to he car. It is completely re-built as is the trans they just need to be put in the car.

No, he will not sell it. Believe that I have tried.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Just watched one go for $50K at Mecum or Barret the other day. Dumbest car trade was an 87 GN for a 93 Cobra! Stupid, stupid, stupid! The Conra did help attract seat covers more so than the Buick though!

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Got smoked by one in my Camaro back in the day (I beat Vetts with it).
    My clutch was in bad shape at the time (yeah, that’s my excuse) :D

455 Beretta

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 20, 2013
    WLaf
    The 455 in my handle is from the big block Buick (not the caliber, lol). I’ve owned and raced 455s and the turbo V6 and the rare ‘87 WE4 (Turbo T - the exact number is 1547 made). Been messing with the Buicks since 1980, and owned 3 at once a few years back. I am down to 1 left... just not enough time in the day.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The 455 in my handle is from the big block Buick (not the caliber, lol). I’ve owned and raced 455s and the turbo V6 and the rare ‘87 WE4 (Turbo T - the exact number is 1547 made). Been messing with the Buicks since 1980, and owned 3 at once a few years back. I am down to 1 left... just not enough time in the day.

There were a few regulars at Raceway park in the local Bracket series. Stupid fast. But they were miles from stock.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    One of my dad's friends had a Grand National that I got to ride in, and it blew my mind. That V6 rocket would scoot. He also got his hands on a Buick GSX Stage 1. He would never tell us what he paid for it, just that it was over $100,000. That thing was just plain scary.

455 Beretta

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 20, 2013
    WLaf
    There were a few regulars at Raceway park in the local Bracket series. Stupid fast. But they were miles from stock.

It was about $500 worth of silly simple mods that would make these cars dip from mid-14s down into the high to mid 12s. At that point, you started having to replace turbo, injectors, and torque converter to get more giddyup, but still wouldn’t have to open the motor up for any mods. High 10s with stock unopened long blocks were not uncommon (until head gaskets gave up due to air:fuel mismanagement).

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It was about $500 worth of silly simple mods that would make these cars dip from mid-14s down into the high to mid 12s. At that point, you started having to replace turbo, injectors, and torque converter to get more giddyup, but still wouldn’t have to open the motor up for any mods. High 10s with stock unopened long blocks were not uncommon (until head gaskets gave up due to air:fuel mismanagement).

Lots of V-6 Turbo experience in my skill sets.
    With most any factory hot rod there is more to find with just a little research and efforts. Boost rules but it has to be properly managed.
    There was 1 GN at the track that was deep into the 10's. It lacked the consistency needed to win in Bracket's but it was a hoot to watch.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    syclone/typhoon got the corvette guys riled up too. Funny that GMs did so well with turbos vs their own NA models and yet that crowd's so innately averse to turbos and the first to give crap to a turbo car.

455 Beretta

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 20, 2013
    WLaf
    Nice, congrats!

I used to belong to INGSCA and we did the Buick Midwest Challenge in Morocco for a few years, then moved it to Osceola for a few. Also used to do stuff at Bunker Hill a few years, and the Norwalk and BPG Nats in Columbus and Quaker City. If you’ve not been to the GS Nats in Bowling Green KY, you ought to check it out. Used to be a lot bigger back when. I won the Regal Modified class in 2001 and lost in the finals in 2002.

Glory days...

455 Beretta

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 20, 2013
    WLaf
    Lots of V-6 Turbo experience in my skill sets.
    With most any factory hot rod there is more to find with just a little research and efforts. Boost rules but it has to be properly managed.
    There was 1 GN at the track that was deep into the 10's. It lacked the consistency needed to win in Bracket's but it was a hoot to watch.

Yeah, they suck for bracket racing.

For consistency regardless of density altitude, the big blocks run like a Swiss watch (or a Beretta, lol) with a huge (way over size) carb. Rarely did weather change impact more than a few hundredths.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Bought a new one in 87 and with a few simple mods was very peppy. Friend had a GNX for a while and he also had one of the 20th anniversary Firebirds (same power plant). I think I know the 10 second GN you are talking about CM.. Another friend here in Greenwood had it.. License plate said "VADER" on it and it was stupid fast.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yeah, they suck for bracket racing.

For consistency regardless of density altitude, the big blocks run like a Swiss watch (or a Beretta, lol) with a huge (way over size) carb. Rarely did weather change impact more than a few hundredths.

In the days before bracket racing we all ran class. My 64 Dodge Polara was A stock. It was a street car not a class car. 426 hemi 3 peddle car. Ruled on the street. A stock was brutal. 455 Buicks/Olds class cars would kick my ass. I was very pleased when they put the Bracket program together. Unless I paired up with one of those cars. They crossed over on the big money shows. You will not beat an index car with a street car.

Top Bottom