Does anyone else not get their mail on busy mail days?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Does anyone else not get their mail on busy mail days? My mail box is near the end of the mail route, and on busy days they simply just don't deliver. So far, TWICE this week. I spoke with the mailman and was informed that they just quit delivering at 9:00 pm, and if the route is not finished, it's just tough luck. I normally give the mailman a gift certificate for Christmas, but not this year. I know it is not their fault and there should be more staff, but this is ridiculous. I was expecting a time sensitive envelope today.

Last edited:

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    My mail has been coming earlier this month. It had been about 2:00 PM, but it has been coming before noon now. :dunno:

That said, I do have a package that was supposed to be delivered on Monday that is (according to USPS tracking) still sitting in the post office in Brownsburg. It was mis-routed on Saturday, and the tracking hasn't been updated since Sunday morning.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Just know that this isn't a rural thing. They skip days in town too.

At least it's not tri-weekly service...

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yep. Us too.

What is most frustrating? Based on tracking info we have seen, they dont even load her truck until 11AM!!!!! How in the hell can a carrier finish their route when they dont get started until lunchtime? We watch her drive by around 4:30 on her way into the neighborhood. Some days she doesnt get to us.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    all year, some days i get mail at 10 am and some times i get it after 3 pm. i leave for work at 245 pm. its random.

I live well inside city limits but my mail is so screwed up.
    My mail may come as early as 10am or as late as 9pm.
    No rhyme or reason.

This has been happening for the past 3 years, and not just on busy days.
    Some days I won't get any mail. The next day looks like they had been holding it for a week.
    Some packages arrive on a mail truck, but are not delivered by the regular postal person.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    We have a new mail carrier and he's obese. I am waiting to find him laid out on the road when I come home.
    We don't get half the mail we did with the previous carrier.
    I went to the post office to inquire about lack of mail and flyers but I was met with a non caring supervisor.
    Heck, I now realize that if it's government related it's not going to work properly

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    It wouldn't bother me if the mail came once a week as long as thy had a sign up for stopping the junk and flyers.
    As long as we are at it if they have money concerns why do the flyers and junk mailers still get a cheaper rate.
    They have the only game in town what are the advertisers going to do hire people to deliver that crap. Only the post office can use your mail box. Flyers littering the streets won't go over to well with the city and county.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Mail has been a problem here in the woods, late, lost or stolen, I've seen all three. The post office convicted our carrier of theft, but since it was a first offense work rules just moved the thief to a job off route.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    How long will it be before our mail is delivered by UPS or Fedex?

Considering that UPS and FedEx contract with the USPS for a bunch of final delivery.... Never.

However - I wish they'd drop a day or 2 of mail service a week in order to stay solvent. Either that - or begone with this public/private partnership and run it as a true governmental agency - that's not supposed to be concerned with making a profit/solvency.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Considering that UPS and FedEx contract with the USPS for a bunch of final delivery.... Never.

However - I wish they'd drop a day or 2 of mail service a week in order to stay solvent. Either that - or begone with this public/private partnership and run it as a true governmental agency - that's not supposed to be concerned with making a profit/solvency.
    Why do I have the feeling that if they did that, instead of a 1 or 2 cent rise in the price of a stamp every couple of years, we'd see a few hundred to a few thousand dollar increase in our taxes every year under the guise of keeping the mail running?

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    I made a purchase on Ebay recently that was to be delivered by USPS. It shipped from Virginia to Indianapolis in 2 days. It spent 7 days in a couple of Indianapolis facilities before it "went out for delivery", but never made it to my home. I went in to pick it up the next day at the local office. So in total, two days to ship to my city and they couldn't deliver it in eight days. Sigh...

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I made a purchase on Ebay recently that was to be delivered by USPS. It shipped from Virginia to Indianapolis in 2 days. It spent 7 days in a couple of Indianapolis facilities before it "went out for delivery", but never made it to my home. I went in to pick it up the next day at the local office. So in total, two days to ship to my city and they couldn't deliver it in eight days. Sigh...

"The last mile" is a problem with everything.

Baditude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    SE Indianapolis
    More often than not I get my neighbor's mail and visa versa. Depending on my mood or if it's a package I will take it to them otherwise back in the mailbox flag up.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    How long will it be before our mail is delivered by UPS or Fedex?

I don't think they would want the business honestly, at least not and be tied to the rates that USPS is. Being required to deliver to every home, etc for those rates would break those companies.

We have a new mail carrier and he's obese. I am waiting to find him laid out on the road when I come home.
    We don't get half the mail we did with the previous carrier.
    I went to the post office to inquire about lack of mail and flyers but I was met with a non caring supervisor.
    Heck, I now realize that if it's government related it's not going to work properly

Sign up for Informed Delivery https://informeddelivery.usps.com/box/pages/intro/start.action and start checking the box on every piece of mail you don't get in a day... I suspect if done often enough, things will change. I've checked the box once or twice due to an item being missing and it always showed up promptly the next day (and it wasn't because I did not get other mail that day, but probably fell between the cracks in the truck).

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Yep. Us too.

What is most frustrating? Based on tracking info we have seen, they dont even load her truck until 11AM!!!!! How in the hell can a carrier finish their route when they dont get started until lunchtime? We watch her drive by around 4:30 on her way into the neighborhood. Some days she doesnt get to us.

I'm a printer that does a lot of bulk mailing (junk mail), and so I work closely with the post office, and direct-drop a lot of mail to many post offices. Here's a couple points I can add:

1. All 1st class mail gets routed to a regional sorting facility to be carrier-sorted using huge, impressive machines sorting thousands of pieces per minute. It's then trucked to each post office in trays for each carrier. Depending on how close your post office is to the regional center, the carriers might not even get their trays till late morning, and that's why they may not start loading their truck till late morning. NW Indiana gets their mail from the Gary sectional center, so if you are way south of Gary, the carriers don't get their trays till late morning. Then they have to integrate, and keep straight, all the parcels that they get from Fedex and UPS. Believe me when I tell you, the carriers are not any happier about it than you are.

2. Bulk mailers get reduced rates because our mail does not have to be sorted. It does not have to go to the sectional center, nor be processed by any machines. When I drop a saturation mailing, it's in trays labelled for each carrier with the exact number of pieces for that carrier's route. They put one in every box, with no thought process involved as to whether the address is right or not. Some bulk mail does have an actual address on it, and then it's handled just like 1st class mail, and they don't get as good a rate as the saturation mailings.

3. I've dealt with hundreds of different post offices, and level of service varies, just like with any chain store. Some are very efficient and well run, and some, not so much. Mostly depends on management.

4. Just about every post office is understaffed, and over-worked. These carriers fill those little trucks to the top, and amazingly, get most of it to where it's addressed. Some routes have to load it up, deliver it, and then go back for a second load. I know it looks bad sometimes, with individual carriers, but mostly these people are working their ass off, every day.

I had a few other thoughts, but I need to get the hell out of my office.

PS. 1st class letter rates are going up to $.55 in January, and bulk mail going up too. I wish I could raise my prices 10% every couple years!!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom